Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 AM

130 posts, read 279,083 times

Advertisements

Apple cider vinegar with the 'mother' in it. One tablespoon in a big glass of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Here's the problem as I see it: you may not need an antacid at all and if you've tried them all with no relief then it's very likely that you have low stomach acid. Do you have problems digesting red meat? Get all gassy after eating? Get heartburn or acid reflux? I actually rarely get heartburn unless I've been overindulging over the holidays but the red meat can tear me up at times and be fine at others. Gassy at times? Mmm hmm. I think that's why vinegar works better for some and baking soda better for others and the symptoms for both are similar, but if you had plenty of acid then you'd be able to digest red meat.

There is a rather crude test you can do with baking soda--mix 1/4 teaspoon into a glass of water and drink it up and you should belch within 5 minutes. If not, then low acid is likely your problem. You can google up betaine HCl and hypochloria if you want to know more about it. I've been avoiding meat at those bad times but I read that it's actually better to fix it with the HCl as low stomach acid can cause malabsorption problems and let more pathogenic bacteria in, as someone suggested earlier.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon3200 View Post
Yes and I would recommend doctor supervision for most people starting it out......

There are a lot of people who use it without a doctor and atkins is even a weak form of keto. However there are dangers to doing it wrong. I heard about a poor high school girl who died from calcium and potassium shortages while on atkins. Very sad.
Then she wasn't doing Atkins. He recommend everyone on his diet (meat and low-carb veggies) or mainly eating meat take a good multi-vitamin and mineral supplement. And he also recommend everyone get a thorough physical by an MD before starting these diets.

There's more than potassium and calcium involved, don't forget sodium and magnesium (electrolyte imbalances.).

A change in diet can go a long way in controlling reflux and heart-burn.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:01 PM

38 posts, read 63,403 times
The poor girls family sued Atkins for a whole lot of money...

I've been doing Keto for a couple months. I've lost 35 lbs and have huge amounts of energy. My endurance is like crazy high now.

If I don't take enough electrolytes I will get some kind of palpitation or arrhythmia. But I feel that I have it really well dialed in now as I'm not having those problems. I was actually having that issue for over year just here or there. The amount of electrodes required is a lot more then on a regular diet. I was making my own carb free electrolyte beverage by taking a Calcium / Magnesium / zinc pill and crushing it up in some water with a shot of lime juice in it. I also add some "lite salt" (sodium / potassium chloride) and some "pink salt" (99 % sodium 1 % trace). The idea of using the lime is to create citrates and increase water soluble electrolytes.

I just got in a bottle of salt sticks today. I've taken 3-4 today including 2 (with lots of water) during my 36 hole game of running disc golf. The size of one of these salt sticks is lager then most multivitamin. A single multivitamin is not enough in my opinion to keep up with the electrolyte needs of someone on keto. Some Keto users report consuming 5 grams of sodium a day.

The Atkins diet might be more dangerous then a proper keto diet. Large amounts of meat cause bad bacteria toxins to increase and too much meat will turn into Glucose and is hard for the body to process.

I'm not big on the Atkins diet.... Too many carbs and too much meat. For me with my current goals. I use a more strict keto diet. Lots of coconut, MCT oil, and grass fed butter. Also a lot of high fiber low carb veggies to keep my gut biotics in line. Also some bio salud or kombucha is good for that. The other problem is that the excess amount of protein and carbs are really not good ketogenic or any higher fat diets. A ketogenic diet is high in saturated fat. Saturated fats plus too much protein or carbs = danger. Without low glucose levels those fats can lead to an increase in blood triglyceride levels. On a strict keto diet the triglycerides are converted to ketones and blood triglyceride levels are lowered.

A doctor checking a patient out before Atkins is fine but really does nothing to prevent people from dying of electrolyte imbalances. You can be the healthiest person in the world but if you drink 2 gallons of water without salts it will still kill you. On doctor monitored ketogenic diets electrolytes levels are continuously tested and monitored. Sodium was not likely to be related to the death of the aforementioned girl. I'm sure she was getting enough from all that bacon.

Another thing that I am unsure if atkins discusses is the types of fats one consumes. I try to be weary of vegetable oils and corn fed meats. Omega 3's and 6's are not very stable and when they oxidise they become toxic (rancid). Food deep fried in super old vegetable oils is no good. Saturated fats are a lot more heat and time stable. But even bacon is bad because the cornfed oils go bad under the heat. Never by on sale omega 3 products and learn the smell of rancid omega 3's. Watch the expiration dates on vegetable oil products. Use good fresh virgin olive oil. Omega 3's are good in limited quantities but you need to get them from a good source like fresh cold water fish, grass fed butter, free range eggs, and krill oil. Make sure supplements are fresh and store them in the fridge. For a keto diet the saturated fats convert to energy more easily while the others stay as triglycerides so they are good in moderation (the same as a normal diet). Basically you want to replace carb calories with saturated fats and keep the daily level for other fats.

Atkins diet of a heart attack and an autopsy showed his heart was clogged with fat. IMO this might be from too much protein and carbs. Too much protein has been linked to heat disease from the toxins that are created by the bacteria in your gut.

I finally got some PH strips today... Running a little acidic so I need potassium citrate + more water to prevent kidney issues. Most atkins and keto posts really don't mention the electrolyte and uric acid issues which are the things you have to watch the most on this diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine