Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

I think that this physician writes in an unbiased manner about alternative therapy and traditional western medicine and their relation to treating cancer. It's worth reading. Possibly the reason that people are getting heated on this thread is that many of us have cancer--or have had it--and have been successfully treated by surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation, while many who have never had cancer are saying that these methods don't work. It might be a different discussion if people with cancer who have used alternative therapies, such as the ketogenic diet, and are in remission, responded to this thread.

"Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) treatments may have long respected histories..."
When alternative cancer therapy harms patients

Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think that this physician writes in an unbiased manner about alternative therapy and traditional western medicine and their relation to treating cancer. It's worth reading. Possibly the reason that people are getting heated on this thread is that many of us have cancer--or have had it--and have been successfully treated by surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation, while many who have never had cancer are saying that these methods don't work. It might be a different discussion if people with cancer who have used alternative therapies, such as the ketogenic diet, and are in remission, responded to this thread.

"Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) treatments may have long respected histories..."
Which is why I ask for solid organized proven evidence. When none is offered I criticize and take to task those ideas. If alternative or complementary medicine were organized, could show that there are instances of effectiveness and not cause harm then the alternative medicine movement would gain credibility.

Until such time these threads and these ideas are pointless and moot. If an alternative treatment becomes mainstream, what is the harm? Instead, the movement shoots itself in the foot.

You are free to criticize and take to task these ideas on a CONVENTIONAL cancer thread. This is ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE. Do you not see the difference? It is not up to you to hound people for proof when ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE does not have proof. That is why it is called Alternative Medicine. It is old and new ideas, NOT YET PROVEN, may NEVER be proven, but able to be discussed.

If you find the discussions to be moot because they are only theoretical, then do not bother to participate. In this forum that is trolling. You are only here to cause trouble since you are not interested in anything that isn't proven.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-21-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 01:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
A lot of us have had cancer, including myself, but that doesn't mean that we should stand in the way of differing opinions on ways to cure cancer.

The OP has a right to ask and to discuss and to not be bashed or asked for "proof." I may not agree with what he says but he has every right to say it. Freedom to discuss the UNproven is what alt.med is about so if you want to discuss the proven, you are probably not going to be happy here. Wrong forum for you.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:12 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Tried to send you a DM but your box is full.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Food is treatment. Food is medicine. Food is a genetic switch. Nutrigenomics is already a science that refutes any notion that food cannot treat disease.

Nutrigenomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nutrigenomics is no more a "science" than astrology...

You say nutrigenomics has refuted the notion that food cannot treat disease....I say Prove It

Where is the evidence that nutrigenomics has refuted the above notion....I know nutrigenomics makes lots of "claims" but I have yet to see any evidence...

And yes, I know this is "alternative" forum and somehow in the "alternative world" proof is a four letter word, but if you are going to make claims that a treatment "does something" how can it be discussed intelligently if you don't have to back up your claims???

Old 09-22-2013, 05:58 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,020 times
The "alternative world" is just that, a world whereby people can choose and discuss "alternatives" openly and freely without the burden of proof when there is no, or minimal documented proof by professional researchers available. I've said it before and I'll say it again, one cannot produce "proof" or "studies" regarding an alternative modality when no proof or studies exist! The only proof or studies which can be put forward is from other peoples experiences, and by that I am referring to *personal* and *first hand* experiences, not friend of a friend, not "I heard it on the grapevine", not copy and pasting from a source which in itself could be questionable or have an ulterior motive or agenda, and not criticising or negating something when they have nil personal experience or knowledge of the subject.

For those who don't agree with, or wish to see "studies" or "proof", then they should participate somewhere appropriate and not be contributing on this 'Alternative' forum. To put it simply, give the alternative people the freedom to express themselves openly and freely with regard to whatever alternative modality they wish to pursue or discuss without interference.

For those who don't agree with it, that's fine, just let others discuss the pro's and cons of their own practices and beliefs among themselves, we don't need any negative input.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
The "alternative world" is just that, a world whereby people can choose and discuss "alternatives" openly and freely without the burden of proof when there is no, or minimal documented proof by professional researchers available. I've said it before and I'll say it again, one cannot produce "proof" or "studies" regarding an alternative modality when no proof or studies exist! The only proof or studies which can be put forward is from other peoples experiences, and by that I am referring to *personal* and *first hand* experiences, not friend of a friend, not "I heard it on the grapevine", not copy and pasting from a source which in itself could be questionable or have an ulterior motive or agenda, and not criticising or negating something when they have nil personal experience or knowledge of the subject.

For those who don't agree with, or wish to see "studies" or "proof", then they should participate somewhere appropriate and not be contributing on this 'Alternative' forum. To put it simply, give the alternative people the freedom to express themselves openly and freely with regard to whatever alternative modality they wish to pursue or discuss without interference.

For those who don't agree with it, that's fine, just l[B]et others discuss the pro's and cons of their own practices and beliefs among themselves, we don't need any negative input.
[/b]

You can't discuss "pros and cons" and leave out "negative input"

Then you are just discussing "pros and pros" which seems to be what people want to do here.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
[/b]

You can't discuss "pros and cons" and leave out "negative input"

Then you are just discussing "pros and pros" which seems to be what people want to do here.
If you're discussing cons, you are discussing the negatives, aren't you. Alternative medicine discusses hypothetical ideas, for and against, but it does not normally come to definite conclusions either way. Just open discussions. Anybody who feels uncomfortable discussing things that are unproven should probably stick to discussions of conventional "proven" medicine. Anyway, this thread seems to have said all it is going to say and is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine