Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

I;m having issues with water retention in my legs, is there any natural products that help relieve this condition?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I;m having issues with water retention in my legs, is there any natural products that help relieve this condition?
Thanks

Retaining water in your legs can be indicative of something more serious. Please see your doctor ASAP.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Reducing your salt intake is generally the most effective thing to do but you need to know the reason for the edema. If something you eat has a label, or if you eat out, it most likely has too much sodium in it.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I know exactly why i have edema, my heart is failing it cant pump the water laden blood out of my legs anymore, Doc says lose 80lbs and many of your health problems will be over, aint so easy, he also doesnt want to prescribe a diuretic as he says those types of medications are very hard on the liver..

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
I know exactly why i have edema, my heart is failing it cant pump the water laden blood out of my legs anymore, Doc says lose 80lbs and many of your health problems will be over, aint so easy, he also doesnt want to prescribe a diuretic as he says those types of medications are very hard on the liver..
Sorry Jambo, but you absolutely should lose the weight if it's extra since it , too is putting extra stress on your heart. I'm guessing, but I it sounds like CHF?
But, believe me, weight alone doesn't account for the edema. My husband ( with CHF among other things )is down to 130 and having more and more of a problem with it.
I might want a second opinion unless you're pretty confident that this doctor is basing his decision on being very familiar with your condition(s) and other meds you are taking and how mild the swelling is.

Oh...and limit your fluid intake from other stuff but do drink an adequate amount of water, even though it sounds contradictary

Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My feet and ankles were swollen before I was diagnosed with diabetes. (not suggesting that's your issue too, just that other problems can cause edema) I was sleeping with my feet elevated every night and that helped a lot, but getting diagnosed, getting the diabetes under control and losing some weight got rid of the problem. If you do want to elevate your feet, a foam bed wedge is the best way to go because it won't slip out from under your legs in the night.

As far as natural diuretics, tea and green tea have that effect but I'm not sure adding caffeine to your diet would be that good.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Celery is a natural diuretic. You can juice six stalks, eat them, or take extract in a capsule.

Watermelon is another natural diuretic....

You might want to read this info from Dr. Weil: Natural Diuretics for Fighting Fluid Retention? - Dr. Weil

Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
My hubby has CHF. His condition did improve a lot after losing over 100 pounds !

His legs swell up & he has a doctor prescribed compression pump that he uses every day. It's amazing to see how much slimmer his ankles & legs are after using the pump.

You might want to get a second opinion, doesn't sound like your doc is doing much for you. If he's just saying "lose weight" without doing specific things with you to help you lose the weight, than see a better doc.

Have you seen a podiatrist for your edema?

Last edited by daliowa; 04-21-2014 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine