Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 PM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not totally opposed to MJ for whatever reason one is using it, but I do have one problem with your reasoning. Like so many pot smokers you use the excuse, pot isn't as bad as alcohol, but what you don't say or do not want to admit: People are often social drinkers and never drink to get drunk, how many pot smokers do you know that do not intend on getting high when they smoke? That is the big difference in the two drugs. Have you ever heard of anyone that smokes because they like the taste?
Let me answer you one point at a a time.

1. I am not a "pot smoker." I use edibles, tinctures or vape. As a former cigarette smoker, I prefer not to put any type of combusted substance into my lungs.

2. "Pot isn't as bad as alcohol" is not an excuse. It's fact. No one has ever died from a MJ overdose, and it does have genuine health benefits. Some people do have bad reactions to it, particularly newbies who overdo it, but this is not life-threatening. On the other hand, alcohol can and does kill people every day. My brother was an alcoholic who lost his life to cirrhosis of the liver at 45.

3. I do not have a problem with people using cannabis just to get high. It's a pleasant experience and - used in moderation by adults - hurts no one. Have you ever heard of a group of people smoking ganja and then staring a fight as drunks sometimes do? No. They'd rather watch cartoons, laugh and eat Cheetos, or maybe just nod off.

4. No, I don't particularly like the taste of cannabis, though IMO I don't find it as noxious as tobacco. That's another reason I mostly use edibles or vape rather than smoking it. Some of the gummis, chocolates and mints are quite tasty, and vaping is a lot easier on the lungs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not totally opposed to MJ for whatever reason one is using it, but I do have one problem with your reasoning. Like so many pot smokers you use the excuse, pot isn't as bad as alcohol, but what you don't say or do not want to admit: People are often social drinkers and never drink to get drunk, how many pot smokers do you know that do not intend on getting high when they smoke? That is the big difference in the two drugs. Have you ever heard of anyone that smokes because they like the taste?
I agree with you. I am all out for legal medical marijuana in all 50 states (take that, Jeff Sessions). With respect to recreational, I think it's up to the states. But where it is not legalized, being caught with less than a couple of ounces should be, at most, a violation.

And for those who say it is not addictive, baloney. Yes, the vast majority of users are casual users, and will never get addicted. But there are others living in states where it is illegal who would freak out if they asked their dealer for their monthly supply, and their dealer told them he wouldn't be able to provide it. If you smoke pot every day for non-medical reasons, you're addicted.

And I am that casual drinker who loves beer, wine and spirits, but has not been intoxicated since my bachelor party 25 years ago. And some weeks I have zero drinks.

I tried pot a couple of years ago for the first time in about 20 years. That was probably my last time. And yes, it doesn't taste good.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:07 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I'm not capable of using marijuana and having thoughts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
Marijuana hurts my car suspension. People smoke it and throw butts out the window which causes all the pot holes that I hit in the street.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Since they are legal substances, Colorado cannot ask or determine to hire you if you drink or smoke tobacco.
I am not sure, but the energy company I used to work for would not hire field technician applicants if they tested positive for MJ. And they made it very clear that they wanted no line, substation or telecom crews using that substance, on or off the job. It was in their written PPP docs. Not defending it, nor calling it out. Those were/still are their rules.

Didn't matter that it is legal to use it here in Colo., the non-public company had its own set of rules. Maybe for insurance purposes? So if one had an on-time accident and came up positive, well I guess that was the end of one's career there.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So is this how it works, the medical dispensaries now in effect will become OPEN to 18+ or is it 21 to buy for any reason? We have quite a few dispensaries right now in my area. So it will more or less put the medical registry doctors out of the loop, right?
It's up to the states to decide how to regulate it. Oregon has legalized recreational pot, and a few more dispensaries have opened up. Some dispensaries offer to both recreational and medical users. It's not likely the availability of recreational pot is going to put medical physicians or medical dispensaries out of the loop. In fact (and I can only use Oregon as an example), the dispensary sale price of pot is cheaper for medical patients than it is for recreational shoppers. The reason is because state registered medical marijuana patients pay an annual fee to receive a card, so prices are discounted for that. Recreational users pay higher prices because the price includes a state tax on marijuana. MM users get a lower price because they've already paid for a one-year permit card.

Over the span of a year, it would depend on how much and how often a patient makes a purchase. If it's a very small and infrequent amount, then the overall costs might be higher for an MM user over the span of a year than what a recreational user might pay for the same quantity over the same period of time. However, there are some MM patients that pay less for the annual permits depending on whether they're a veteran, low income, etc. Many, if not most, MM dispensaries will also give an additional discount to veterans, in which case such individuals could indeed pay much less than what it would cost a recreational user over a one-year period.

Another difference, at least in Oregon, is that recreational buyers can only purchase pot in the form of buds. Medical marijuana users have a much wider selection, not only in the kind of buds, but also have access to high CBD products, edibles, oils, lotions, etc. Again, it depends on what each state decides in the way of regulations. Recreational users can grow their own (a limited amount), so I suppose they could potentially use their harvest to make their own edibles if they wish.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
This just popped up here.

https://www.livescience.com/60094-ma...e=notification

Old 08-13-2017, 02:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not sure how valid a discussion of recreational marijuana is considering the sub-forum is called "Alternative Medicine". That said, IMO it's probably better to keep the discussion to marijuana as an alternate medicine rather than getting too far off track about recreational use. I'm also not sure about the article. Some of the reference links are older, some date back to 2015, and some comparisons going back to the 1960's an 1970's. The article states the following regarding to polls and in-person interviews (underlined for clarity):
Quote:
An in-person interview could possibly influence results because marijuana is still illegal in most states and people may be hesitant to admit they use it.
It's no longer true that marijuana is still illegal in MOST states, although that is still true for recreational marijuana. The fact is that medical marijuana is currently legal in MOST states - 29 states to be exact, as well as Guam, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. Interestingly, the article later acknowledges that medical marijuana IS legal in 29 states. That's over half the states in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica..._United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...dical_cannabis

Old 08-14-2017, 11:50 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
CBD oil is.....quite expensive, though, and there's a lot of inferior product out there so you have to buy from a reputable retailer that uses whole plant extracts and produces a pharmaceutical-grade product.
Do you happen to know which brands of CBD oil fit the requirements you named? My SIL is trying to find a cheaper kind to buy for her daughter, but we know nothing about it.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,336,268 times
This is where I bought mine.

https://nuleafnaturals.com/collectio...nt=30801648460

Nuleaf naturals, in case the link doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine