Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
There are many health benefits with a Mediterranean style diet (heart, cancer, etc.) and melatonin is just one of them. Melatonin is in foods such as tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, olives, oranges, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, raspberries, pomegranate, red grapes, sunflower and flax seeds, walnuts, almonds and barley. That's the shortlist. A varied diet typically provides all the nutrients one needs. Research shows that naturally-produced melatonin works better than synthetic.

Magnesium level is high also in a Mediterranean diet if that is your issue.

Tart/sour cherry juice boosts melatonin levels too but may not be sufficient as a single source. Relying on a single source for anything rarely works. Adding it to a Med diet could help. The juice also has phytonutrients with anti-inflammatory effects on par with ibuprofen so can help with chronic inflammation/pain from conditions like arthritis ... as can other foods in a Med diet.
Our foods are known to be loaded with benefits, but our soils are very depleted as they are turned over and over all the time. I eat well, don't eat lbs of everything so supplements FOR ME are vital. They work for me at this late date in my life. If I live to be 90 I keep thinking what will I look like and feel since taking years of my supps...my skin is so young for my age.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:56 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
I forgot to mention this general info. Some are obivous, some may not be.

Check light exposure. Too little light exposure during the day and too much in the evening can disrupt your circadian rhythm. This can present challenges for evening/night shift workers, city dwellers and night owls. Modern life in general presents challenges.

Alcohol and caffeine reduce melatonin level in the body. They reduce magnesium too.

You can disrupt the circadian rhythm by taking too much melatonin supplement for your individual needs, rendering it counterproductive.

Check for drug interactions with melatonin and all supplements. For example, melatonin supplements can reduce the effectiveness of blood pressure meds. Check all drug interactions.

Check with your doc before taking a melatonin supplement if you have depression. It's known to increase depression symptoms in some people.

Melatonin is a hormone so check with your doc before taking if you have any hormone-related issues.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 PM

564 posts, read 1,721,098 times
Try meditating before going to bed for a sound, good night sleep.

There are many forms, and to each their own. I sit on the floor, as straight up as I can, legs crossed, close my eyes, and breath in and out of my nose. Five minutes does the trick, 8-10 min even better. I set up a timer on my cell phone. Try not to think of things if you can... Find a quiet space for this, dark is even better.

Do it for a week, and see if it makes a difference for you. You may be surprised that such a simple activity can make such a big difference...

Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post

There are many forms, and to each their own. I sit on the floor, as straight up as I can, legs crossed, close my eyes, and breath in and out of my nose. Five minutes does the trick, 8-10 min even better. I set up a timer on my cell phone. Try not to think of things if you can... Find a quiet space for this, dark is even better.

Do it for a week, and see if it makes a difference for you. You may be surprised that such a simple activity can make such a big difference...
I often do a short meditation before sleep and upon rising in the AM. It does make a difference, meditation makes so much difference PERIOD.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Our foods are known to be loaded with benefits, but our soils are very depleted
Do you mean the depleted soils where the grapes are grown where your seed extract comes from? You should learn more about soils and agriculture.

Nutritional value in fruits and vegetables begins deteriorating at harvest. Much of the nutrition deteriorates during long transports to grocery stores which can be 7-10 days after harvest. Then it can sit in the store a few more days steadily losing nutritional value.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post

Darkness triggers the pineal gland to produce more melatonin. For us non-meditators, a similar effect can be had in other ways. Turn off electric lights earlier in the evening and put away electronics with garish backlights. Use a candle or two or a small oil lamp for lighting. Low natural flame is not bright enough to stop melatonin. It has a calming, de-stressing effect also which I imagine is similar to what you get from meditation.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Our foods are known to be loaded with benefits, but our soils are very depleted as they are turned over and over all the time. I eat well, don't eat lbs of everything so supplements FOR ME are vital. They work for me at this late date in my life. If I live to be 90 I keep thinking what will I look like and feel since taking years of my supps...my skin is so young for my age.
I meant to ask you this too. The melatonin supp you stated that you take is a synthetic. How is it that the synthetic version of melatonin hormone can work for you but the synthetic thyroid hormone can't work?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I meant to ask you this too. The melatonin supp you stated that you take is a synthetic. How is it that the synthetic version of melatonin hormone can work for you but the synthetic thyroid hormone can't work?
I don't know, I don't work on analyzing everything. I just know the syn (levo) left me with major fatigue and desiccated thyroid lifted 10 yrs of depression. And the low dose melatonin helps with sleep as I've aged with the other "stuff" I take with it. My body has changed dramatically since about 1999 when I believe the FM stuff hit me with the fight/flight/fright trauma I went thru with a job loss. I was 63 and in a huge shock as I planned to work a few more years.

I also believe my thyroid went many years of not getting the support it MAY have needed. If it was supported perhaps the F/F/F I went thru would not have been so traumatic. This is all I've come up and my body since 1999.

As for the soils, do some research on our soils depletion of nutrients.

As for the grape SEEDS, I don't know how that is all done but I know what I take works for me. I did post info in the anti aging and grape seed ex as the SEEDS were discussed.

You don't believe in the Grape SEEDS as powerful antioxidants, then that is fine. Many do and not enough but Grape SEED ads are not all over our tvs.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I don't work on analyzing everything. I just know the syn (levo) left me with major fatigue and desiccated thyroid lifted 10 yrs of depression. And the low dose melatonin helps with sleep as I've aged with the other "stuff" I take with it. My body has changed dramatically since about 1999 when I believe the FM stuff hit me with the fight/flight/fright trauma I went thru with a job loss. I was 63 and in a huge shock as I planned to work a few more years.

I also believe my thyroid went many years of not getting the support it MAY have needed. If it was supported perhaps the F/F/F I went thru would not have been so traumatic. This is all I've come up and my body since 1999.
The question was rhetorical. You are always railing against synthetic hormone. It's just odd that you are taking the synthetic instead of the natural animal pineal glands.

Quote:
As for the soils, do some research on our soils depletion of nutrients.

As for the grape SEEDS, I don't know how that is all done but I know what I take works for me. I did post info in the anti aging and grape seed ex as the SEEDS were discussed.

You don't believe in the Grape SEEDS as powerful antioxidants, then that is fine. Many do and not enough but Grape SEED ads are not all over our tvs.
The point that you missed was this: if soils are too depleted to provide you with quality foods, then they are too depleted to provide quality grape seeds.

I know how to replenish and maintain soil and so do farmers. Poor soil produces poor crops, or none at all, and they can't stay in business that way. As I said before, nutritionally-deficient foods are in the grocery stores because of the length of time it takes to get there. Nutrients begin degrading when it's harvested and continue degrading each day. I grow what I can and get the rest locally when it's harvested. If your store stocks locally-grown foods, then that's great. Otherwise, I would look for another source.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:55 AM

564 posts, read 1,721,098 times
Quote:
Darkness triggers the pineal gland to produce more melatonin. For us non-meditators, a similar effect can be had in other ways. Turn off electric lights earlier in the evening and put away electronics with garish backlights. Use a candle or two or a small oil lamp for lighting. Low natural flame is not bright enough to stop melatonin. It has a calming, de-stressing effect also which I imagine is similar to what you get from meditation.
Agree that darkness helps the body/mind slow down and triggers melatonin production. However, these are not similar effects. Meditation helps with sleep, but also with an overall sense of peace and inner strength during the day. Melatonin can do the opposite during the day, giving a drowsiness sensation to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine