Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know how to use aloe vera. I have psoriasis, and despite all the meds I'm using---including Humira, methotrexate, prednisone---the psoriasis persists, although it is much better and has stopped spreading.

I mainly have it on my lower legs and top of feet and ankles. It itches, and oftentimes feels like a burn. I just bought an aloe vera stalk tonight, but I'm not sure how to use it. I cut off a small chunk, about one inch thick, and tried rubbing it on. I admit, it felt better almost instantly! Then, I realized its not solid inside, so I tried poking it with a knife, and got a jelly. I applied this, and it helped even more!

I'm wondering how to use/store it. For now, I cut it up in little chunks, about one inch thick, and put each chunk in a small baggie, and put in the fridge. I use as needed, and don't break it open until I use it. Being cold makes it even more effective!

How long will it keep fresh in the fridge? should I cut up the whole stalk at once, like I'm doing, or just cut off one piece at a time?

I also saw a video where they sliced the stalk in half lengthwise, then scooped the gel out with a spoon. Since the tough membrane is only along the skin, it gets the gel out. Then, what? The video was in Japanese, and it stopped when they finished scooping it. I don't know for what purpose they were using it, so I don't know if one can store the gel and use as needed. You would get a lot from one stalk, perhaps 1/2/ to one cup.

I hope this continues to be effective. I often find a remedy that works for about a week, then just stops working. I bought the stalk at a farmer's market, it was $1.79/stalk. Is that a good price? I'm thinking if this works I will plant an aloe vera plant in my backyard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 11:49 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
That would be awesome if it worked. I still have break through psoriasis but use Enstilar. I have TONS of aloe growing in my yard
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-19-2017, 12:15 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
OP, your leaf will keep pretty well for several days in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

Just smear the gel on your skin. I leave it uncovered and apply it a couple times a day. I've used it for sunburns, regular burns and poison oak. Didn't do much for the poison oak, but it works amazingly well for burns. If it's going to work for you, I'd think you should start to feel and maybe see a difference in a day or two. And the gel straight from the leaf works much better than the bottled gel. The bottled gel usually includes a preservative which can irritate already inflamed skin.

Aloe vera is easy to grow, outside if you are living in the right climate, or inside. It's tough and doesn't ask for much, in fact you're more likely to kill it with kindness than neglect. I think everyone should grow one.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It's really easy to grow, and then you can just walk out and pick what you need. When you first cut it, aloe secretes a nasty, yellow, onion scented liquid, but that stops after about 15 min and then you can rinse it and use it just like the aloe from the store.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:21 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'd like to know how to use aloe vera. I have psoriasis, and despite all the meds I'm using---including Humira, methotrexate, prednisone---the psoriasis persists, although it is much better and has stopped spreading.

I mainly have it on my lower legs and top of feet and ankles. It itches, and oftentimes feels like a burn. I just bought an aloe vera stalk tonight, but I'm not sure how to use it. I cut off a small chunk, about one inch thick, and tried rubbing it on. I admit, it felt better almost instantly! Then, I realized its not solid inside, so I tried poking it with a knife, and got a jelly. I applied this, and it helped even more!

I'm wondering how to use/store it. For now, I cut it up in little chunks, about one inch thick, and put each chunk in a small baggie, and put in the fridge. I use as needed, and don't break it open until I use it. Being cold makes it even more effective!

How long will it keep fresh in the fridge? should I cut up the whole stalk at once, like I'm doing, or just cut off one piece at a time?

I also saw a video where they sliced the stalk in half lengthwise, then scooped the gel out with a spoon. Since the tough membrane is only along the skin, it gets the gel out. Then, what? The video was in Japanese, and it stopped when they finished scooping it. I don't know for what purpose they were using it, so I don't know if one can store the gel and use as needed. You would get a lot from one stalk, perhaps 1/2/ to one cup.

I hope this continues to be effective. I often find a remedy that works for about a week, then just stops working. I bought the stalk at a farmer's market, it was $1.79/stalk. Is that a good price? I'm thinking if this works I will plant an aloe vera plant in my backyard!
I've found that aloe vera gel from the plant is wonderful for burns as well. We have 6 (and counting) large aloe plants in our back yard-all started from one small plant that my husband bought about 4 yrs ago. Of course this is in Florida and I don't know how well these plants grow outside in cooler climates, but you could sure purchase a plant, pot it and grow it inside. These plants produce new plants ( "pups") after some time, so you could end up with a number of plants-all you need for as much aloe as you want.

As for keeping the cut stalks with the aloe gel fresh, I've wrapped the cut end in aluminum foil, put it in the refrigerator. If that end dries out you can just snip it off to where there is fresh gel ( you can squeeze it a little bit to get more), repeat for each use till the stalk is gone. I hadn't thought of scooping out the gel and storing that, but I suppose it could be done.

I'd just thought of fresh aloe in terms of minor burns, but now that you mention using it for allergic and possibly autoimmune rashes, I'll have to check it out. We sure have enough aloe.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM

282 posts, read 232,982 times
I personally suggest you buy a plant and keep it healthy in the house. When you need it, cut off only the amount you'll need from one stalk at a time. If one stalk has already been cut into, don't start on another one til that first one is completely used up.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've used aloe vera off and on for years. But I do buy organic liquid in qt bottles and keep it refrigerated. Could be for the issues you talk about an "inside" job is needed. I'd do some research on that way to get aloe vera to work for you. So much of what we live with healthwise, an inside job is needed.

Here is a link with a lot of info for topical and ingesting aloe vera.

https://homeremediesforlife.com/aloe...for-psoriasis/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-19-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 10:42 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
The aloe directly from the plant works a lot better than the liquid aloe, with all those additives, in a bottle, jar or tube. At least that has been my experience. I've found bottled aloe has done nothing or little for sunburn, or burns I've had.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've used aloe vera off and on for years. But I do buy organic liquid in qt bottles and keep it refrigerated. Could be for the issues you talk about an "inside" job is needed. I'd do some research on that way to get aloe vera to work for you. So much of what we live with healthwise, an inside job is needed.
I appreciate it!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The aloe directly from the plant works a lot better than the liquid aloe, with all those additives, in a bottle, jar or tube. At least that has been my experience. I've found bottled aloe has done nothing or little for sunburn, or burns I've had.
I haven't had much luck, either, with the bottled stuff. IIRC, the bottle I used said 2% aloe? The rest was just water, preservatives, etc. It also felt sticky. The fresh aloe did a world of good in just one day! Last night I was able to sleep peacefully for the first time in ages. Usually I take benedryl and pain pills just to make the itch stop so I can sleep, then I wake up groggy-headed, which is better than no sleep at all!

If it continues to help, I might just start growing my own plant, cheaper and more convenient!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine