Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:42 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I was diagnosed with early formation nasal polyps in January and have had a sinus infection because of them since September. I am against using steroidal nasal sprays and surgery doesnt sound too appealing either. I was wondering if any other nasal polyp sufferers on here had tried other medicines or home remedies that have helped? Any advice is welcome and appreciated! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Unfortunately, this is one situation where they are not going to go away without surgery. My fiance had surgery for the same problem back in September and she can breathe now. Steroid sprays will shrink them, but that is only temporary.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
Wow, speaking of irony, I had my surgery one year ago yesterday.
I had polyps, severe sinus infections and a deviated septum. The only way to treat these problems is surgery. The surgery is not as bad as I expected. I was told by some people that there would be packing of the sinuses after surgery, but that is only in the rarest of cases. I had gauze taped to my nostrils for about 10 days and a bad runny nose for four more days. The first two days there is a lot of discharge coming out from your sinuses...I barely slept. I would have to change the dressing constantly. As the days went on the discharge slowed down. Imagine having the worst stuffy nose possible.

One year later and I am much better. Unfortunately there is the chance of the polyps coming back.
If I had to do it all over again I would take the surgery again!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Okay thanks. I guess I feel comforted knowing that people have survived the surgery. lol. My house is full of allergins right now so I may wait to move to have the procedure done so there is less chance of reoccurance. : )

Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
Hello all!

I was diagnosed with early formation nasal polyps in January and have had a sinus infection because of them since September. I am against using steroidal nasal sprays and surgery doesnt sound too appealing either. I was wondering if any other nasal polyp sufferers on here had tried other medicines or home remedies that have helped? Any advice is welcome and appreciated! : )

Hi Terry. I had to have that surgery about I think 11 years ago. It was not a big deal surgery. You are in and out. I felt so much better after having the surgery. It lasted for a long time. But now I am at the point where I have to get it again. I cant breathe out of one side of my nose and have pretty much lost my sense of smell, which sucks. Good luck to you.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 61,427 times
Hi all,I have had 3 sinus surgeries for polyp removal, the first being in 1998, third in 2004. I am now due for a fourth. While they are relatively painless, I am tired of going through them. I have lost my sense of taste and smell. I was hoping there were some new laser technologies or something new I can try that is more lasting. I do have allergies which do trigger the growth of my polyps. My ENT says I have a breeding ground for polyps. What I want is just to be able to breathe, taste and smell again. Anyone out there know of someone that can help?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 61,352 times
I just had my 6th sinus surgery, the first 3 were for severe reasons and with the first surgery requiring the not so fun "packing". The last three have been for polyps. I also have bad allergies and have been doing allergy shots off and on for 13 years. The best thing I know, but I failed at, is maintenance..if you need allergy shots do it, see your ENT for checks ups, polyps can be caught before they get out of hand and require surgery and use prescription nose sprays to help always in keeping your nose from before irritated and getting inflamed. From now on any time I have a cold I will see my ENT and not my primary dr, as cold usually is what starts the polyp problem. I have had small polyp catch by my ENT and they have quickly pulled them in the office...but they is back in the day when I really kept up with my ENT.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 88,545 times
Thanks to merciful God my nasal polyp condition has been pretty much been taken care of. I felt very bad with polyps and feel for all those who suffer from it. I would like to share what worked for me.Without giving background- it's the homeopathic Calcarea Carbonate 30 C from Boiron that worked for me.Other things I did along was exercise and Sahaja Yoga.Now I found in an Indian homeopathic book that there are 6 different medicines for different symptoms of nasal polyp condition. I had left side blocked. I will later on translate the one page and write out name of medicines over here.I did exercise where I closed mouth and did high jumping. One of my uncle with polyp went to high altitude in Himalya. Polyp came out for him as he huffed and puffed. So my dad came up with theory that recreating high altitude environment helps. It particularly helped me in earlier days when medicine was taking time to be effective.I had been doing Sahaja Yoga before the condition and worked on nose sinus area controlling Chakra and prayed for it's balance and purity. Did few other things of Sahaja Yoga as well. This is more of faith treatment, so may not work if you look at it purely from medical treatment perspective.Before I discovered Calcare Carbonate I took Thuja Occedentilis because it was the only name I found on net. My polyp just balooned after that. I spoke to Mom and she warned me against it. Said she and Dad took Thuja ointment 25 years back for some skin warts and they started mushrooming. Someone said they are getting ejected but it never appeared to stop.After I stopped Thuja and took Calcare polyps have been gradually withdrawing deeper and shrinking. Although I did notice in Indian homeopathic book that Thuja was mentioned as well according to some symptoms.I don't know why polyps happened to me, but I have been getting acute sinus every winter for last 3 years. Homeopathic for sinus helped earlier but this time I think I overmedicated and didn't know it was polyps. I took a lot of puffs with old Benezdrex inhaler as well. Maybe I tolerated sinus for long time as well.I was very scared initially because culturally our family stays away from steroids and anti-biotics. I was considering going to India for cheap surgery. Anyway best of luck to everyone.OK, here are the homeopathic medicinces according to symptoms.----------------------------------------Category 1Nose bleeds. Yellow/green discharge. Blood easily drips from polypsPhosphorus 30, thrice a day------------------------------------------Category 2Breathing stops on that side of nose on which one is sleeping. Whole nose blocked due to polyp. More so for rear part of nose.Teucrium 6, thrice a day-------------------------------------------------Category 3Unable to smell. Polyp more on left side. Blood comes out easily of polyp. Patient cold natured.Calcarea Carb 30 or 200 thrice a dayNB: This took care of my polyps--------------------------------------------------Category 4Polyp along with sinus. Smelly white/greenish discharge from nose.No smell. Blood drips easily.Thuja 30 or 200 as mentioned on medicineNB: I did not have good experience with Thuja. My polyps sort of merged and balooned up.--------------------------------------------------Category 5Polyps on right side. Injuries in nostrils and sheath/cracking dead skin formation.Costicum 30, thrice a day-------------------------------------------------Category 6General polyps in nose. Smelly yellow discharge. Diarrhea after nose is congested.Sangunaria 30, thrice a day--------------------------------------------------Category 7Nose completely blocked. Pain in root of nose and pressure. Dark greening yellow discharge which pulls like fibre.Kali Bai 30, thrice a day

Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 61,030 times
My polyps are gone!!! Without having surgery!!!! I tried everything to get rid of my polyps without having surgery. I have had them in my nose since aug. Of 2008 its now feb 2009, nothing worked until i used zinc. I took 1 pill a day with my dinner and after 4 days my polyps are gone!! I have also been on new allergy pills (allegra, suddaphed) for 2 weeks. I had a cold and when looking on line for ideas to help get rid of it, i read an article that said to try zinc. So i did and in 4 days my polyps are gone!!! Not only that but now its been 6 days and i'm starting to smell things again too. I didn't do some funky exercise or change my diet in fact i still have my cold!!! Please try zinc i used 50mg a day and i'm still taking it. I really hope this helps you like it did for me. I don't have insurance and i can't afford all these doctor appointments. But i can afford $5 for a jar of zinc.....

Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 78,689 times
Anybody have a good ENT within a few hours of the NE Georgia mnts? I've been dealing with chronic, debilitating sinus/allergy problems for years & am ready to do surgery, if that's what's needed. Don't know of a good dr & tried a local one, which was not helpful. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine