Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Sherry A. Rogers is the doctor who saved my life back in the early 1990s! It's hard now to think that back then I was that sick and doctors had NO idea what was wrong with me. This was before the internet and I only heard about her from word of mouth.

My husband drove me way out to Syracuse and I stayed in a little room she had set up in her house. Her office was in a little building next door. I was very, very sick but I could walk across the driveway to her office. I was immediately tested for everything, it seemed, and it took several days. And I turned out to be allergic to just about everything and very chemically sensitive. As Dr. Rogers used to say, "The sick get sicker." By the time they finally came to her they were very sick.

The rooms where the testing was done were stripped of anything you could be allergic or sensitive to. I had, as she called it "overload." I had gone for such a long time, getting sicker and sicker and not knowing what it was, that I kept developing new allergies and new chemical sensitivities. I remember when I was being tested there was a kid in the same room, coloring with crayons and I had to ask for the kid and the crayons to be removed. I was so sick that the smell of the crayons was overwhelming and sickening and smelled really strong to me. It was like that, an embarrassing illness to have. No one understood and you felt weird and scared.

Dr Rogers was the first person to explain things to me. She had been through it herself or else she never would have believed it. A sick doctor who healed herself=the best doctor I ever had. Crayons (simple CRAYONS!) because they were made from wax and wax is a petroleum product. Turned out I was very sensitive to all petroleum products, including plastics. I had never put it all together and figured it out, but yes, I couldn't bear to touch Saran Wrap--if I did, the lymph nodes in that armpit would hurt. I mean, this stuff is weird and I was terrified and had been getting sicker every day. Dr Rogers explained that, being so sensitive to plastic (Saran Wrap) my lymph nodes were only trying to protect me. Once I started to understand, it was a great relief.

The extreme sensitivity to plastics was caused by a faulty furnace in my house where I lived alone. Black soot accumulated around the blower vents. I was ignorant at the time and didn't imagine it could be a health hazard. The crooks who came to fix the furnace didn't fix it and eventually I had to abandon the house.

That house also had a leaky roof so I was getting mold exposure too. But when you are a poor graduate student, there isn't much you can do. That's how I got a mold allergy so bad that I literally fell off a chair onto the floor after eating a slice of pizza with mushrooms. Dr Rogers explained to me that of course, mushrooms are a fungus/mold. Another mystery solved. Things were starting to make sense. But it was horrifying.

I think I spent three days there the first time, being tested for everything. Dr Rogers sent me home with a diet that enabled me to live, and little bottles of allergy serum to take to my local MD where I would be getting my allergy shots. She continued to send the little bottles to me as needed. Initially, I could hardly eat anything but she said for me, squash and bottled water were safe. Other than that, there were a few foods that I wasn't completely allergic to and I could eat those every four days. Any more often and I would build up a serious allergy to those foods too!

I guess I could write a book about Sherry A. Rogers, MD, lol. She did not have a great bedside manner--she could be almost rude, but did she know her stuff! She wasn't arrogant, she always listened, but she could be a bit unpleasant. Her nurse was wonderfully kind and made up for it. Dr Rogers' nurse wrote the cookbook that I used when I was so sick. The nurse was a great cook and used Dr Rogers recommendations to create the recipes. Dr Rogers would tell us that GREENS healed. She used to say we should eat, "Greens, beans, weeds, and seeds." (Yes, she was a comic at times.) The weeds were seaweed.

The strict rotary diet that was also very restricted as to what foods it included, was a lot of work, especially when you are sick and very weak. I spent a lot of time just sitting and planning out what I could eat the next day. I lived from day to day for the first year, really not knowing if I would be alive the next day. I couldn't go outside because I was so allergic to everything and I mostly stayed in one room that only contained my bed and cotton sheets washed in something that was non toxic.

Following Dr Rogers instructions, I got rid of so many things from my life, that I can barely remember them now. Out went the perfume (Dr Rogers said it was not made from flowers! It was made from synthetic chemicals.) Out went my favorite scented soap, my moldy books from the moldy house, smelly cleaning products, candles, a whole lot of things went out. I remember taking my last whiff of my beloved perfume and getting an instant headache from it--I never would have put 1+1 together to figure out that something like perfume was making me sick.

In a few years I was well enough to go back to work on a part time basis. But, of course, I had stopped eating perfectly. I know if I still ate that way, I could feel wonderful. It's just too labor intensive. To this day I do not allow scented products into the house and no plastics. Well, I do have Saran Wrap but I use it sparingly and I cringe to think that it used to affect me physically just to touch it. Food is stored in glass. Furniture is made of wood. Furniture polish is made from beeswax, not petroleum. Candles are beeswax. I still can't be anywhere that paraffin candles are burning, gives me a really bad headache.

I had to start allergy shots again when I moved to a forested area two years ago and this allergist doesn't "get it" AT ALL. It's useless to try to explain. At least I pushed to be tested for the most molds they test for--he wasn't even going to do that!

These days I still wash my clothes in Borax, no scented products because the smells seem so strong to me and they aren't good for you anyway. Same with fabric softener, which I never used anyway. I have caved on a few things: I use bleach at times. Cannot stand the smell but I learned from Dr Rogers to use a charcoal filled mask when working with chemicals. Bleach kills mold so I must have bleach. I can drive again but I keep the car windows closed so as not to breath in the exhaust fumes that used to keep me off the road. I used to need to wear a charcoal mask if I went out in a car. Now I can use a kleenix or nothing at all.

I wish everyone in the world knew what Dr Rogers knew. She was so sick and she said she used herself as a guinea pig to figure stuff out. She also went to Dr Rea in Dallas who had an entire chemical free clinic--Dr Rea is the one who helped cure Dr Rogers!

Unfortunately, I don't think medicine has learned very much. A sick person is still going to be up against a wall of ignorance like I was. As Dr Rogers used to say--"cookbook medicine" where they think one size fits all. Where they don't think outside the box. However, I am gratified to see MANY more choices in natural foods and many more unscented products. Dr Rogers taught me to read the labels on everything.

At least the internet can spread the word. Back before that, we were clueless and finding a dr like Dr Rogers was a miracle. Fellow patients said that Dr Rogers would give lectures and had to take oxygen with her plus always sipping her Mountain Valley (Arkansas) pure water that came from a glass bottle. For a long time that was the only water I could stand. I still can't drink water from a plastic bottle because all I taste is plastic. So I am not completely cured, but that's not Dr Roger's fault, that's me cheating and eating bread when one of my allergies is to wheat, that's me eating sugar, etc.

BTW, Dr Rogers had us on high quality vitamins and separate minerals based upon our blood test results. She recommended magnesium for almost everyone. I tested out to be the most magnesium deficient patient she had ever seen. She tested me several times. It was called the magnesium loading test. Finally she got so frustrated that at one visit, she injected me with magnesium (ouch!) as she said that way there is a chance that you're just not absorbing the pills. I was supposed to pee out the excess magnesium. As usual, there was no excess. She puzzled about "where is all that magnesium going??" She joked back then (1992?) that she was the Queen of Magnesium but she still couldn't figure out my magnesium issue. So I still take magnesium and I still probably don't get enough.

I think Dr Rogers is retired now and lives in Florida. Are there any more wonderful and knowledgeable doctors out there for today's chemically sensitive and extremely allergic people? People also who have arthritis, MS, and other diseases that are just labeled "autoimmune"? Any doctors like Dr Rogers who look for the CAUSE!

I know that are a lot of naturalpaths and others but I have found that none of them are even 1% as knowledgeable as Dr Rogers. Most of them don't know too much and none have been sick like she was and have learned their way back to health. Maybe this country holds wonderful drs back, ridicules them, and doesn't incorporate the things she learned and taught to her patients, but maybe other countries are more open and will build upon her research and findings. (Sorry this is so long but when a doctor actually saved your life when you were so sick that no other doctor could help you, when a doctor went that far beyond what she had learned in medical school, when one doctor did so much, you cannot say enough in praise.)

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-01-2019 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 03:02 PM

233 posts, read 155,242 times
IN_Newengland

Good to hear she healed you, I'm sure all the drama she went thru helped with that as well. I guess that I can scratch her off the list of worthy doctors, she earned her retirement.....

k

Old 08-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
IN_Newengland

Good to hear she healed you, I'm sure all the drama she went thru helped with that as well. I guess that I can scratch her off the list of worthy doctors, she earned her retirement.....

k
Thank you. She had such a terrible time with her own health and that, of course, is what caused her to learn so much more than most doctors will ever know. Her research and findings were way ahead of their time. This is the kind of doctor who some try to discredit just because they are jealous or they have their own self interests to protect.

With her, there was nothing weird or whacky--she was/is just plain incredible and has an insatiable appetite for knowledge. I'm so glad you mentioned her. I still have Dr Rogers' cookbook and need to start using it again. I had most of her other books but lent them out and never got them back. She has new books--seems like there is one on diabetes and maybe another one about thyroid. I found everything she said 25 years ago to be true so I am pretty confident that whatever she is saying now is also true.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:47 PM

I got so excited from hearing my own wonderful doctor mentioned, that I lost track of everything else! (I did manage to go out and water my plants, lol.)

But ever since I read kennywally51's post about Dr Rogers, I've been looking her up and finding more and more. She is still there, up in Syracuse, and apparently she has gained much traction in Toronto. Upstate NY where Dr Rogers lives is close to Canada and I even went to Canada when I was getting better--the people I spoke to there were better informed about things like how much magnesium to take, I remember.

Here's the Canadian magazine that often contains articles by Dr Rogers. They have articles by other medical professionals, people who were pioneers in the field of chemical sensitivity and allergies. Dr Doris Rapp was one.

https://vitalitymagazine.com/ I think I'm going to have a look at Dr Rogers' latest books on diabetes and thyroid--maybe the articles in this magazine will be enough or maybe I'll order the books. I'm excited to know that these great people are still out there teaching and learning and helping others.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:14 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sounds like you had a panic attack, I had one in 2005 just out of the blue but BP went up and I went to the ER by paramedics...went home with Lorazepam and took that for a while but found it messes with memory so stopped. Meditation can help so much, even a short time every day.

Ever since I started taking Inositol I'm so much calmer....and then the HGH homeopathic I'm using since early this year even calmer and better overall well being.

You are correct about the LDN.
Can a person have a panic attack just sitting down calmly doing something like watching TV or on the computer? I don't know anything about panic attacks, so that's very scary to me that they can just start up out of the blue. My BP didn't seem to go up while it was happening. It said 119/88. I have a BP machine at home.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:18 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Can a person have a panic attack just sitting down calmly doing something like watching TV or on the computer? I don't know anything about panic attacks, so that's very scary to me that they can just start up out of the blue. My BP didn't seem to go up while it was happening. It said 119/88. I have a BP machine at home.
Well, I was watching TV and it hit me, I had no idea what it was thought I was having a heart attack and called 911 and I agreed to go to the ER, they told me panic attack. My daughter was in a lot of stress in her life and it was I'm Sure playing havoc on my body. Think about what you are going thru ... our bodies do what they will do.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:50 AM

On the topic of the Doctors my friend and I were talking yesterday about some of these doctors and researchers being "silenced"...I always got emails from the GreenMed site and no more and also on Dr. Mercola...being silenced. Even every day Joes are being silenced. Of course, I believe pharma and govt are very cozy pals.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-03-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 01:57 PM

233 posts, read 155,242 times
Default Panic Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was there when a co-worker had one, and I didn't understand a whole lot back then.

But in time, I've come to understand that Fears of the unknown can overwhelm someone, and BAM it just happens. He either was a newlywed or was about to be one. I didn't ask him what the problem was
and I can imagine all that unwanted attention, over him just collapsing like that and just his normal confusion to be overwhelming in and of itself.

I'm glad I didn't add to his burden by asking about it.

BUT, I think that doctor I mentioned Sherry Rogers, would be able to answer that if it's still a concern.

I think it's a manifesting of real fears, from dwelling on them too long, and not asking for help.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:05 PM

1,499 posts, read 885,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On the topic of the Doctors my friend and I were talking yesterday about some of these doctors and researchers being "silenced"...I always got emails from the GreenMed site and no more and also on Dr. Mercola...being silenced. Even every day Joes are being silenced. Of course, I believe pharma and govt are very cozy pals.
Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me......do you think the government is reading your emails..

Wow

Old 08-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me......do you think the government is reading your emails..

Wow
The tech world is in all of our business and there is so info on many more holistic doctors who have mysteriously disappeared. Since this topic is about "doctors" i have trust in. Better stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine