Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 PM

25 posts, read 181,901 times

Advertisements

I am taking a trip to Colombia in mid-January 2011.

I will be spending 4 nights in Cartagena and 4 nights in Bogota.

I will arrive late on a Saturday night and stay through the following Sunday (8 nights total).

I have two questions: one very specific. The other more broad.

Question No. 1:
Before I book my flight, does anyone have advice on which city to go to FIRST? It seems best to me to hit Bogota LATER in the trip so I get there when museums and other attractions are open.

As it stands I have to arrive in ONE of the two cities very late on a Saturday night (given I am flying in from California).

So I assume it might be best to be in Cartagena on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (as opposed to Bogota) because the BEACH never closes????? Then I would spend Wednesday afternoon through Sunday morning in Bogota, etc.

Question No. 2:
Anyone been to these places have any suggestions about how to really take in the LOCAL culture? I know Cartagena is overun with tourists but I like to taste the local flavor when I go places. Also interested in any thoughts on Bogota in this regard as well.

I am from the USA and speak half-way decent gringo Spanish.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 02:23 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurAmerica View Post
Question No. 1:
Before I book my flight, does anyone have advice on which city to go to FIRST? It seems best to me to hit Bogota LATER in the trip so I get there when museums and other attractions are open.

As it stands I have to arrive in ONE of the two cities very late on a Saturday night (given I am flying in from California).

So I assume it might be best to be in Cartagena on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (as opposed to Bogota) because the BEACH never closes????? Then I would spend Wednesday afternoon through Sunday morning in Bogota, etc.
Given that Bogota has the most international flights it might make more sense to just see Bogota first although when I was last down there I was in Bogota first, then flew to Cartagena, and then flew back to Bogota. Most of the museums I believe are open seven days a week anyways (except for the Museo del Oro which is closed Monday, also a must see). Also make sure you see the Cathedral de Sal (there is actually a tourist train that runs from Bogota to Zipaquirá if that is of any interest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurAmerica View Post
Question No. 2:
Anyone been to these places have any suggestions about how to really take in the LOCAL culture? I know Cartagena is overun with tourists but I like to taste the local flavor when I go places. Also interested in any thoughts on Bogota in this regard as well.

I am from the USA and speak half-way decent gringo Spanish.

Thanks for any input.
Cartagena is definately more touristy compared with Bogota (by the way prepare to be harrased by street vendors in Cartagena) so you will probably get more exposed to local culture more in Bogota. That said though Cartagena is really only touristy in the Old City, in Getsemaní you have a more local vibe since there are less tourists that venture into that part of town although it is sort a red light district if that is any of concern (although I had no issues with crime or anything anywhere in Colombia).

Anyways most if not all of the people down there are pretty friendly so I doubt you will encounter any problems.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by diablo234; 12-25-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-25-2010, 06:32 PM

25 posts, read 181,901 times
Thanks Diablo234.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Good choice. Colombia is the most "South American" of all South American countries. They are very wrapped in their sense of identity. I found them to the the friendliest of all Latin Americans, always very willing and eager to talk to foreigners.

I don't think Bogota would be a very interesting place to spend four days, after you've seen the museum and architecture. Jump on a bus to either Girardot, in the Magdalena valley, or Villavicencio, on the edge of the Amazon rainforest. Either will be a spectacular bus trip, dropping about 8,000 feet. There used to be a lovely train to Girardot, but I think it's been scrapped. The bus will take 2 or 3 hours to get to either of them. There will be plenty of suitable accommodations to stay overnight, and you'll see the real Colombia.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 39,020 times
Hi. I go to Colombia every November and take tourists with me. Based on the experience that I have already had, here is my suggestion:

Arrive in Bogota first, spend at the most three (3) days. On Sunday you can go to Zipaquira and on your way back stop in Chia and eat at Andres Carne de Res restaurant, by far the most fun restaurant in the country. In the afternoon you can stop at Usaquen and spend some time in the North part of the city, finishing at night by the Andino Mall. The second day go to the Old Downtown and La Candelaria Neighborhood, Monserrate Hill, and the Musueums del Oro and Botero. On the third day you can hang around the North side of the city and do some shopping.

On Tuesday night you can catch a plane to Cartagena, it is safe to get to Cartagena at night. You can have dinner in the Old City. The next day you can explore the Old City, drink lots of water because it is too hot. The next day, one day walking around the old city is enough, the modern part of Cartagena you can do by taxi, it is not worth it to go to the beach here. On your third day in Cartagena you must go to Islas del Rosario, it is a one day trip to enjoy the Caribbean at it's best without the hazzle of Cartagena beach (too many people wanting to sell you stuff, from massages to crap).

It is now Thursday night, enjoy the old city again and I would suggest going to Cali, in the southwest. Friday the perfect day to enjoy the most fun and laidback city of that country. Go to Granada Neighborhood or Avenida Sexta at night, after walking around the city (San Antonio neighborhood, Avenida Colombia, La Tertulia Museum, Historic Downtown, Caycedo Square), you will have a lot of fun. On Saturday you can either go to Popayan or Calima Lake, a day trip, or if you like nature go to Topacio National Park, right there in Cali. One last night in Cali or fly into Bogota would be fine.

By doing this, you would have enjoyed more of the country. If you need additional tips feel free to contact me. I hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Just stumbled upon a nice photo of Cartagena

http://www.oustravel.com/wp-content/...a-colombia.jpg

Colombia is quite underrated

Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Cartagena has some very beautiful places to see. I visited this past summer and loved it. There are some very poverty stricken areas also which I experienced when I went to see some children that I sponsor there. I hope to return in about 3 years. I really enjoyed the people, very friendly to tourists and willing to help. God bless.

Link to photo album of some photos taken on my trip

https://picasaweb.google.com/shanabr...eat=directlink

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-23-2011 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Colombia was a great place, and I don't have more nice things to say about Bogotá! I absolutely loved Bogotá, and my favorite part of the city was definitely el centro/la candelaria! The thing about Bogotá, is that there's a certain unexplainable grit to the city. It is really unique, and very cool to be around so many people walking around in the city. I don't really remember the restaurants I ate at or anything, I never stopped to really look at names, I mostly ate street food, or went out with my friends and just kind of went where they told me to go. As miamibeach said, Monserrate is a must see, also try to check out some other things around the city, maybe a place playing salsa music. Don't miss out on an opportunity to try the food, and street food is safe too! I ate street food all the time in Colombia, without any problems.

Must eats

Bandeja Paisa
Ajiaco
San Cocho
Sobrebarriga
Arepa

One thing I might recommend, is checking out Medellín, it is really a nice city and a lot of cool things to see there. I liked Cartagena, but I liked the other cities I went to in Colombia a little bit more.

I didn't stay in Cartagena too long, but I did enjoy it, tons of good/cheap hotels right on Bocagrande, it was actually the cheapest city accomodation-wise! I paid 30.000 pesos a night. I don't really remember the other places.

If you want more advice and can surely give you advice. It is hard for me to remember everything in just one post, but if you have any more specfiic questions, let me know

Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
I wouldnt spend more than 2 or 3 days in Cartagena. As far as food I would only recommend fried fish, arroz con coco and arepa de huevo(egg arepa). Dont ever under any circumtance buy beef or even chicken in the Atlantic coast, it tastes and feels like plastic.

There are far more interesting places and food around Bogota and Medellin.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Cartagena, Colombia - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas