Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,448 times

Advertisements

Where is a safe place for a family to move to in South America.

Both me and my mother have severe arthritis and Florida cost way to much for us to move to. I have three children and both my mother and I are widowed. I was told by a friend of mine there are countries that have nice traditional family values. I was thinking of Peru. But he said people wont real friendly there. Im waiting to finish my Engineering degree and I have a Biology degree so I would like a city that is not crazy busy. A place that warm all year round, traditional, I don't mind night life as long as children are included. We are really looking for a relaxed community, small personal owned businesses, maybe 30min or 1 hour from the ocean.

Any input would be great we are guessing about 2 to 3 years before we are able to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Drier climes are, generally, more beneficial to arthritis sufferers. Which is why I'm living in the desert, away from the humid areas.

For drier climes, you're then restricted to northern Chile, and southern Peru. Try Arequippa in southern Peru, not a great distance from the ocean either.

Northern Chile has the Atacama Desert, which receives, annually, about .01 precip. a year, driest desert in the world, how dry can you get!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Argentina.

Mendoza or Córdoba would be great. Or if not, any town in the Buenos Aires province coastline.
You would love it down here i bet.
If you have any questions pm me and i will be happy to help you .

Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Ecuador has traditional family values and Ecuadorians are very friendly.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
I recommend the cities of Natal or João Pessoa, in the Northeast of Brazil.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
If you can't afford Florida, you might struggle in South America. Unless you know Spanish or have family down there.

The cost are lower than Florida, but wages are significantly lower. Lots of hidden costs if you are monolingual with only English as well.

Unless engineering offers something down there that makes up for that.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgettFowler View Post
there are countries that have nice traditional family values.
For what it's worth, CHILE is one of the few world countries that do not allow divorce at all. (Another is the Philippines, and until 1995 Ireland did not).

Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM

278 posts, read 621,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgettFowler View Post
Where is a safe place for a family to move to in South America.

Both me and my mother have severe arthritis and Florida cost way to much for us to move to. I have three children and both my mother and I are widowed. I was told by a friend of mine there are countries that have nice traditional family values. I was thinking of Peru. But he said people wont real friendly there. Im waiting to finish my Engineering degree and I have a Biology degree so I would like a city that is not crazy busy. A place that warm all year round, traditional, I don't mind night life as long as children are included. We are really looking for a relaxed community, small personal owned businesses, maybe 30min or 1 hour from the ocean.

Any input would be great we are guessing about 2 to 3 years before we are able to move.
Universal healthcare is available in the majority of American countries but you need to find out how you can obtain a work/residency permit.

If you are a U.S. National you can apply for NAFTA visas, and you will be able to live/work in Canada or Mexico (NAFTA members).

I think Chile is also a member, not sure, but if they are a member, then you can apply for a NAFTA visa to work and live there.

Have you considered Hawaii? The only U.S. state with Universal Healthcare?

Last edited by Venezuelan; 06-23-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 AM

278 posts, read 621,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you can't afford Florida, you might struggle in South America. Unless you know Spanish or have family down there.

The cost are lower than Florida, but wages are significantly lower. Lots of hidden costs if you are monolingual with only English as well.

Unless engineering offers something down there that makes up for that.
Wages are not significantly lower if she gets a job in engineering.

In FLA she needs a car (500$ monthly expense), must pay expressway tolls, engineering jobs are not abundant (Florida=Tourism), and rent expenses are 5 times higher than in South America. The U.S. has hidden taxes, besides income taxes, people pay for medical/ hurricane/home/car/ insurance, of course in South America people also pay for different insurance but the cost is lower, and social security includes social healthcare in south america.

Hawaii and Canada are both good options.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
What about Argentina? I don't know that much about it but they say Buenos Aires is really nice and has a lot of Europeans there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas