Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US city most like Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Honolulu, Hawaii 4 26.67%
Houston, Texas 0 0%
Los Angeles, California 7 46.67%
Miami/Miami Beach, Florida 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Quite frankly, I think Rio is in a class all of its own.
I would agree. I don't think it has anything in common with LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Los Angeles?? lol out of those listed, the only city with some similarities is Miami.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:21 AM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
A cross between Honolulu's landscape, topography, and coastal skyscrapers with the general urbanity and culture of Los Angeles.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
Rio = LA
Sao Paulo = NYC
Curitiba = Seattle
Porto Alegre = Boston
Floripa = San Diego

Old 04-07-2017, 11:17 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
A german guy seems to be impressed with the amount of buses and taxis in Downtown

Old 04-09-2017, 02:20 PM

210 posts, read 200,123 times
Rio de Janeiro is most similar to Miami due to weather, if anything. People saying it resembles Los Angeles probably has never been there and think everyone is an aspiring movie star wannabe. In reality people in LA dress very casual borderline sloppy. LA looks much more like a Mexican city.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Rio de Janeiro is most similar to Miami due to weather, if anything. People saying it resembles Los Angeles probably has never been there and think everyone is an aspiring movie star wannabe. In reality people in LA dress very casual borderline sloppy. LA looks much more like a Mexican city.
Rio de Janeiro is in a class all of its own, it doesn't resemble any US City, not even Miami.

I was in Rio maybe about a year and a half ago, went to some bars in Leblon, which I guess is the upper class area, everyone looked very casual to me. It reminded me of California actually. I was there with a Brazilian-American who is wealthy and he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops. Lol

LA looks nothing like any Mexican City.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:40 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Among those cities I've been only to Honolulu, but it seems to me that neighbourhoods in Rio are a lot more different from each other than in any of those cities.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Rio de Janeiro is in a class all of its own, it doesn't resemble any US City, not even Miami.

I was in Rio maybe about a year and a half ago, went to some bars in Leblon, which I guess is the upper class area, everyone looked very casual to me. It reminded me of California actually. I was there with a Brazilian-American who is wealthy and he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops. Lol

LA looks nothing like any Mexican City.
I agree with the the first sentence here, honestly there isn't a side by side comparison of what Rio compares to in the US. I think people are just thinking of the beach areas of Rio and automatically comparing to cities with beaches in the US. Rio is an urban city larger than LA and Miami with 6 million people in the city proper. Once you leave the beach front areas there is no resemblance to LA or Miami IMO, but if I had to say closer to either one it would be Miami. The difference is that Rio has various hills/mountains within the city that have enormous views.

Ironically the inland parts of Copa, Ipanema/Leblon are more "Manhattanesque" to me than any parts of Miami or LA. There is enormous vibrancy in those areas the further you walk away from the beaches. The city center and immediate outskirts are much more historic and relevant to Brazil's history than much of Miami or LA are to the US in comparison. Rio's topography is more like SF than anywhere else in America, but I think it ends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas