Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Most African Americans ARE mixed race and most look it.
This sentence requires the injection between 'and' and 'most' of [in many places of the USA].

Why?

One thing that I have noticed in my travels around the USA (I haven't been everywhere, but to enough places to notice this difference among other things) is that the average African American looks different in various places. There are places in this country where your sentence will make perfect sense and the people from there that read it will not think twice about it. Then there are places where the average African American doesn't looks mixed at all and if they are mixed, its literally a drop or two of non-black blood. In those places, people might look at your sentence and think you are confused.

The USA is a very big place and this is one of the differences that can be witnessed by simply traveling around.

In some places the question is who's mixed, while in other places its easier to ask who isn't. lol

Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 PM

578 posts, read 962,654 times
The term "mulatto" was used for all of USA history. Mulatto was even a racial category on the censuses until 1930. After 1930 the one drop rule was legally created and put in place. It was in 1967 when ODR was declared illegal and mixed race was restored.

Many people who were considered as and identified as mulatto in the USA had to get used to be referred to as black after 1930, and many were never able to adjust.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This sentence requires the injection between 'and' and 'most' of [in many places of the USA].

Why?

One thing that I have noticed in my travels around the USA (I haven't been everywhere, but to enough places to notice this difference among other things) is that the average African American looks different in various places. There are places in this country where your sentence will make perfect sense and the people from there that read it will not think twice about it. Then there are places where the average African American doesn't looks mixed at all and if they are mixed, its literally a drop or two of non-black blood. In those places, people might look at your sentence and think you are confused.

The USA is a very big place and this is one of the differences that can be witnessed by simply traveling around.

In some places the question is who's mixed, while in other places its easier to ask who isn't. lol
Lol. Very true dude.....

There are certain areas that have more mixed AAs than others. Also I'm talking about true traditional AAs.

People often falsely label any Afrodescent person as AA, but people don't seem to understand that AAs are an ETHNIC group. NOT a racial group.

In fact some AAs have been found to not have any genetic African ancestry.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I once watched this video where Parsons says a few things about being mixed. I thought it was interesting.

If anyone wants to skip straight to the action, click at minute 1:55 in the timeline. You will definitely skip all the introduction from the host of the video.

Yep I've seen that video clip before. I've attended many mixed race conferences as well over the years in regards to the multiracial movement.

Karyn Parsons actually happened to have a movie out where she played a biracial mixed woman trying to find her identity and place in life. It was an interesting little indie flick. It was released in 1998 or 2000 (if I remember correctly xD)

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Lol. Very true dude.....

There are certain areas that have more mixed AAs than others. Also I'm talking about true traditional AAs.

People often falsely label any Afrodescent person as AA, but people don't seem to understand that AAs are an ETHNIC group. NOT a racial group.

In fact some AAs have been found to not have any genetic African ancestry.
Then, there are some areas where the African Americans are pretty much African(i.e.-the Sea Islands or other highly Black areas). So, it runs the range and this is the case with other racial groups to some degree, if the people have been here in the US long enough.

I think the African American moniker is both ethnic and racial(to a large degree) versus say Hispanic/Latino which tends to run a wider range of people in terms of race and nationality.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » Why Did One-Drop Become Nationwide Tradition?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » Myths Across the Color Line

Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Or if its just a USA thing to think of it negatively.

Supposedly the word has something to do with mule, and was concocted by slave owners the same way as some one describing breeding a horse and a donkey.

Its isn't used in the English speaking Caribbean either. The term "mixed", or "brown" is preferred.

Let all those who love to bash black Americans, while they deny blacks in their own countries to enjoy upward mobility, have a field day.

I know the characters and one thing that they cant admit because the truth is obvious, is to be black, or dark mulatto in most of their nations is to live a life of poverty and stigmatization, with mulatas good to be sexually objectified by white men.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It boils down to this:

When it comes to Latin America, identity baggages are attached to socioeconomic class, region of birth/residence/grew up in, and nationality. In Brazil, you can do whatever you want, but please don't ever confuse a Carioca (native of Rio de Janeiro) with a Paulista (native of Sao Paulo.) Believe me, you will get more than earful. Its a mistake you will only make once. lol

Funny when I was in Brazil black people gave me a different explanation. Which went like this. If you are dark (pick any description that you want except moreno or branco) the assumption is that you are poor, so you have to be careful when entering the more affluent parts of Rio.

Deny it all you wish but in Brazil people assign a social status to you based upon your skin color, and you have to prove otherwise.

What might shock you is that I felt much more limited because I am black in Rio than I do in NYC where every one knows that a sizeable population of middle class blacks exist.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Sure.

I have yet to see as much racial resentment in any Latin American country as in the USA. The US is just too race-focused, IMO.

Look at .

Some claim that its because blacks and darker mulattos accept their position at the bottom, the same way that a fat girl accept that her choice in men will be narrower. Because they certainly aren't well represented at the top.

Seriously I have been to Brazil and I really don't see what benefits that this denial of racism is a major issue has done for them. I will never forget in Bahia (Salvador), going into an expensive restaurant with a white friend and the all the wait staff were looking at me, I guess wondering who could I be, as every one else seated to be served was light skinned.

But the abominable socio economic of that segment of the Brazilian population which is more obviously of African descent doesn't bother you. Even as your Brazilian govt statistics suggest that black/pardo Brazilians earn about 50% of what a white will earn. Also unlike the USA where the more educated one is the narrower the gap between blacks and whites, in Brazil the gap actually gets wider. Clearly in Brazil a black person graduating from law school is on a whole different track from his white counterpart.

To me that issue is more important than debating about what people call themselves. This is the reason for tensions between blacks and whites in the USA. One can only wonder why darker people in Brazil seem more content with the lot at the bottom of the pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas