Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Hehe, I'd never heard this one. You mean the sound jota like in 'jota' or 'jamón'? I know folks here have some issues with some sounds, but not 'jota'. We pronounce it as in standard Spanish, I think. Perhaps a little softer than in Spain, but never like the English 'h'.

Not really the jota, but rather the double LL in caballo, Callao, etc. Now that's special!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:38 PM

25 posts, read 88,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not really the jota, but rather the double LL in caballo, Callao, etc. Now that's special!
Yeah, I agree, I don't think there's really anything unusual about how Argentines pronounce "jota." If anything, I think Spaniards are the outliers (well, those outside of Andalucía and the Canarias); their pronunciation of it is much more marked, whereas in Latin America it ranges from the way Argentines or Mexicans pronounce it, to the Caribbean region, where people pronounce it as if it were an English "h."

As far as people hating Argentines, I don't think they really do. It's impossible to make a generalization like that. And it's absolutely false that Mexicans hate Argentines. I say this having lived in Mexico with my Argentine boyfriend and speaking Spanish like a porteño (despite being from the US). No one ever showed us anything more than excitement at talking to a foreigner, and the vast majority of them expressed admiration for lots of aspects of Argentine culture (literature, music, etc.), and I'm not talking about academics, I'm talking about cab drivers and cashiers.

You can't base how one country perceives another by reading comments on internet forums and Youtube videos; if so, other Latin Americans would be totally justified in thinking that all Argentines are incredibly racist and arrogant (which they certainly aren't). Just look at any one of those Youtube sensations from Ecuador, Peru, Mexico, or wherever. The comment stream is invariably full of Argentines talking about how uncivilized these "uncultured poor" countries are and disparaging their indigenous heritage. However, having lived in Argentina, I know that the vast majority of people don't think like that, and the same goes for people from other countries as well. A large percentage of people who are willing to take the time out to post comments anywhere online are not interested in having an actual conversation, they just get off on provoking and running.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM

295 posts, read 1,154,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydow View Post
Yeah, I agree, I don't think there's really anything unusual about how Argentines pronounce "jota." If anything, I think Spaniards are the outliers (well, those outside of Andalucía and the Canarias); their pronunciation of it is much more marked, whereas in Latin America it ranges from the way Argentines or Mexicans pronounce it, to the Caribbean region, where people pronounce it as if it were an English "h."
Agree, in the "jota" pronunciatios are some spaniards the outsiders, Argentinians pronounce it like most of the spanish speaking world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydow View Post
You can't base how one country perceives another by reading comments on internet forums and Youtube videos;
Sometimes Youtube comments or the comments on the online newspapers scared me because it's full of haters.
I hope that most users are trolls that when they when they turn off the computer, are normal people with normal opinions.

I don't know if happen in others language sphere, but the fights between Spaniards and American on youtube are deplorable and full of racists. Then when I visited Latinamerican I've never had issues with being Spaniard, the same that most of Latinamericans don't have problems in Spain.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
I met a fellow from Argentina when I briefly lived in Texas. He said that Argentinians speak Spanish with an Italian accent!
In my opinion, Argentina is the most "European" of South American countries. Few indigenous people lived there when the Spaniards colonized it, and it is full of people whose ancestors came from not only Spain, but Italy, Germany, Eastern Europe (especially Jews), the Middle East, and even Great Britain. People from poorer South American countries have immigrated there, and there are even a few Argentinians of African descent.
People have complained about Argentina's President Christina Kircher blaming other nations for Argentina's problems, but that is a long way from hating Argentinians as a whole.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:00 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,447 times
It's not that everyone hates Argentina, it's just that the Argentinians that managed to get out and migrate to the rest of the world give the country a bad name... jajaja, jk.

There's a joke:
- What's the best airline in the world?
- I don't know, which one?
- Aerolineas Argentinas.
- Huh? Why?
- Because, when you board in Buenos Aires, you are a street sweeper, a waiter, a cook, a janitor, and when you arrive at your new destination you're a doctor, lawyer, psychologist, aspiring musician.

HAHAHA.

Lately, there's been more awareness about racism and prejudice in Argentina... sort of a introspective look at their culture. For the longest time, there's been an attitude that because Argentinans are white, and descendants of European immigrants, they are superior to their indigenous or black cousins in other Latin American countries... and they carried this attitude whenever they travelled to other latinamerican countries. As the economy in Argentina has slowly taken a turn for the worst these last 20 yrs, and 'mestizo' countries like Chile, and 'mulatto' countries like Brazil have blazed a new economic path for themselves... and as Argentines find themselves immigrating to countries Spain and being categorized along with Ecuatorian and Colombian immigrants,... Argentinian people are slowly becoming aware of the bond that they have with the rest of latinamerica, and they're shedding those old preconceived tacitly racist notions. I've noticed this the last couple times I went.

Furthermore, Argentines are different and their attitude clashes a lot with the rest of latinamerica. A lot of Argentines are descendants of Italians, which are loud, boisterous, in your face and blunt, while indigenous cultures generally are timid, quiet, and more polite in your face and talk behind your back.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 PM

175 posts, read 273,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
It's not that everyone hates Argentina, it's just that the Argentinians that managed to get out and migrate to the rest of the world give the country a bad name... jajaja, jk.

There's a joke:
- What's the best airline in the world?
- I don't know, which one?
- Aerolineas Argentinas.
- Huh? Why?
- Because, when you board in Buenos Aires, you are a street sweeper, a waiter, a cook, a janitor, and when you arrive at your new destination you're a doctor, lawyer, psychologist, aspiring musician.

HAHAHA.

Lately, there's been more awareness about racism and prejudice in Argentina... sort of a introspective look at their culture. For the longest time, there's been an attitude that because Argentinans are white, and descendants of European immigrants, they are superior to their indigenous or black cousins in other Latin American countries... and they carried this attitude whenever they travelled to other latinamerican countries. As the economy in Argentina has slowly taken a turn for the worst these last 20 yrs, and 'mestizo' countries like Chile, and 'mulatto' countries like Brazil have blazed a new economic path for themselves... and as Argentines find themselves immigrating to countries Spain and being categorized along with Ecuatorian and Colombian immigrants,... Argentinian people are slowly becoming aware of the bond that they have with the rest of latinamerica, and they're shedding those old preconceived tacitly racist notions. I've noticed this the last couple times I went.

Furthermore, Argentines are different and their attitude clashes a lot with the rest of latinamerica. A lot of Argentines are descendants of Italians, which are loud, boisterous, in your face and blunt, while indigenous cultures generally are timid, quiet, and more polite in your face and talk behind your back.

did not know this... thanks

Old 08-12-2012, 05:42 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Mexicans hate us. I dont know about the rest of latinamericans, but if im guided for Colombians and Ecuatorians i met here, they LOVE US. But of course then you read the internet and it seems they all hate us.
Sophie, I invite you to come to Mexico so that you can see for yourself how much 'hate' for Argentinians there is here. Tens of thousands of your countrymen come to Mexico looking for a better life, and most live life with no incidence of hate or discrimination... now, if they get assaulted or kidnapped, it won't be becaue they're Argentinos, it's because... well... life is tough here for ANYONE.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM

208 posts, read 546,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I met a fellow from Argentina when I briefly lived in Texas. He said that Argentinians speak Spanish with an Italian accent!
In my opinion, Argentina is the most "European" of South American countries. Few indigenous people lived there when the Spaniards colonized it, and it is full of people whose ancestors came from not only Spain, but Italy, Germany, Eastern Europe (especially Jews), the Middle East, and even Great Britain. People from poorer South American countries have immigrated there, and there are even a few Argentinians of African descent.
People have complained about Argentina's President Christina Kircher blaming other nations for Argentina's problems, but that is a long way from hating Argentinians as a whole.
There were a lot of indigenous people in argentina. They made a genocide in the last half of the 19th century, read about Martín García, one of the extermination camps they used.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
I would just like to say that I live in the United States, I don't hate Argentina, and The Aleph is my favorite short story.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AishaGurl91 View Post
I've noticed that the majority of the world hates Argentina and its people. Particularly England, which is ridiculous considering that there are very few Argentines in England and the Falkland Islands thing is of minor importance. Furthermore Argentines are stereotyped as arrogant Nordic-looking people. (Nordic is weird, since I've never seen an Argentine with natural blonde hair.) Plus few people seem to know about any famous people from Argentina besides Diego Maradona. I guess people like Eva Peron and Jorge Luis Borges must not have been real.

Do people really hate Argentina as much as I think they do?
Firstly, they're the Islas Malvinas not Falklands Islands! LOL.

Why would the number of Argentinians in England have any bearing on whether or not England hates Argentina? If that were the case then England would hate Pakistan.

Nordic? Do you mean North Germanic? You know a lot of Nordic/North Germanic people don't have blonde hair, right? Take a look at the royal family of Sweden...none have blonde hair (the King's has turned gray).

I know of some famous people from Germany (ie. Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein) but what does knowing of famous people from it have to do with liking a country? I like Japan, as a country, but know of no famous people from it.

Why do you want it to seem the world hates Argentina? Who could hate a country with such wonderful beef (despite FMD), herba mate, and a funky Spanish accent?

Last edited by James1202; 08-13-2012 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas