Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 AM

74 posts, read 122,648 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that the majority of the world hates Argentina and its people. Particularly England, which is ridiculous considering that there are very few Argentines in England and the Falkland Islands thing is of minor importance. Furthermore Argentines are stereotyped as arrogant Nordic-looking people. (Nordic is weird, since I've never seen an Argentine with natural blonde hair.) Plus few people seem to know about any famous people from Argentina besides Diego Maradona. I guess people like Eva Peron and Jorge Luis Borges must not have been real.

Do people really hate Argentina as much as I think they do?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:42 AM

9 posts, read 18,993 times
I know a guy who makes tons of money by buying Argentinians for what they are worth, and selling them for what they think they are worth.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,880,699 times
Don't hate them, but don't care about them either, too extremely Latin (meaning : unpredictable ) for my taste. It seems to me their Chilean cousins are a tad more serious (more Germanic values , which I personally like, like order , punctuality and cleanliness ). Maybe I'm wrong, I've never been to either country.
I find tango dancing ugly, not esthetic like the waltz , impressive like rock, or funny like fox trot, those rigid limbs, machine like moves, and strained faces of the tango dancers are unpleasant in my book...
And don't tell me that to gobble tons of red meat as they do is healthy let alone ecologically sustainable.
Last but not least, their warmongering over the Falklands (only because they are after the oil lying under the continental plateau) is, to say the least, tasteless...

Old 08-10-2012, 03:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,880,699 times
...and why are they unable to prononce the Spanish sound jota ? their Spanish is really weird, doesn't sound actually Spanish...

Old 08-10-2012, 03:52 AM

326 posts, read 1,041,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AishaGurl91 View Post
Particularly England, which is ridiculous considering that there are very few Argentines in England and the Falkland Islands thing is of minor importance.
Not true at all. I have never met anyone who equates disagreement over the Falklands to hating Argentines! Our most natural rivals are the French, and the Americans. If people thing anything at all about it, Argentina's quite cool - lots of people now travel to Buenos Aires - which has a reputation as a very hip place to be. It is true that a lot of people know next to nothing about it: there is no significant Argentine population in Britain, even London, and likewise relatively few English people emigrated to Argentina in the early 20th century (most went to the US, Canada, and Australia), so the link between our two nations is quite distant, except the Falklands issue.

Sure the Falklands thing is always there. To be honest 99.9% of Brits just cannot understand why they should be handed back to Argentina considering that not a single islander wants this to happen - we're a democratic country, and we have to respect the wishes of the people there. Nobody lived on the islands when Britain "colonised" them : unlike the mainland of Argentina, which had indigenous inhabitants. By the same logic, Argentina should be handed back to the indigenous people and everyone else should move back to Spain or Italy!

However I do think that oil starts to be struck then it would be unfair for Britain to profit from it, our argument really extends only to the wishes of the Falkland Islanders.

Of course, I'm sure it is presented in a very different way to Argentinians in domestic media!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
The majority of the world? I have never really this. Yes, there are issues with the UK and some of the S American neighbours think they are a bit pompous but aside from that? Not really.

Most people either don't think about them or they think they are pretty cool and sophisticated (good wine, good food, snappy dressers, sexy women, etc.)

Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 AM

295 posts, read 1,156,007 times
Not at all, at least in Spain.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,067 times
I find this to be true, too. The proof is city-data, everytime theres a thread that somehow mentions Argentina, someone jumps and say how Argentina and Argentinians this and that (always awful things. I wonder why??

About Falklands, i have mentioned this in other topics, Argentinian PEOPLE doest not care about them. They think its a political thing, like politics and media use the flakland conflict to cover up other more important thing. If you ask argentinians (not politics, i mean the people that lives here) nobody cares. And, even more so, people here LOVES brittish. We think english people is so cool! We love them so much! Plus, their music, their magnific culture, come on! The only grudge we could ever have against england is the futbol rivalry. But we have that with brasilians too and we like them, too.

So its a mistake for brittish to think argentinians dont like them for the falkland stuff. They should assk the people that traveled here how they been treated and youll see.

Also, the latinamericans. Its true most hate us. Most Chileans do. Uruguayans (weirdly) seem to not like us in general, even when they pretend they do (cause the countries are so close and interconected in everything), Brasilians seem to like us way less than we like them. Mexicans hate us. I dont know about the rest of latinamericans, but if im guided for Colombians and Ecuatorians i met here, they LOVE US. But of course then you read the internet and it seems they all hate us.

But of course, here eveerything is different. In Buenos Aires i have met people from all over the world and everyone says how nice argentinans are. Everyone is "i cant believe how warm you guys are" and many european and american folks stay here solely because of how nice the people is. All i hear is how nice we are. Wich is weird cause then in internet, when someone mentions this country, theres always a negative comment or joke.

I really dont understand why this is and think is unfair.

Plus, Argentina should at least be recognized for being a very varied and beautiful country. I mean, the variety of landscapes and amount of natural beauty we have here is incredible. Some latinamericans hate us so much that they wont even mention that.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,067 times
Plus, like aisha says, JORGE LUIS BORGES, come on!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 PM

839 posts, read 3,078,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
...and why are they unable to prononce the Spanish sound jota ? their Spanish is really weird, doesn't sound actually Spanish...
Hehe, I'd never heard this one. You mean the sound jota like in 'jota' or 'jamón'? I know folks here have some issues with some sounds, but not 'jota'. We pronounce it as in standard Spanish, I think. Perhaps a little softer than in Spain, but never like the English 'h'.

As regards the topic, I don't like generalizations. I tend to think in terms of individuals and, to a lesser extent, in terms of relatively small groups of people (related somehow). But to say 'Argentines are this and that' or 'Everyone hates Argentines', is so sweeping a generalization that I guess it's no use answering. There are nearly 40 million Argentines, 340 million (US) Americans, 18 million Chileans, and so on. These groups of people are tremendously large to even attempt to draw a generalization. The only thing I can do is tell personal anecdotes about individuals from certain nationalities and how they view us Argentines, but this just amounts to that: anecdotal evidence.

As others have mentioned, I don't think we Argentines are so important (like almost any other nationality). So they don't hate us. Most don't think about us. And some don't even know about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas