Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Americans are people from the whole continent. Americans from the united States are U.S. Americans or U.S. nationals.

People from Brazil are Brazilians and Americans
People from Canada are Canadians and Americans
people from the U.S. are U.S. Americans and Americans.

The same way people from Japan are Japanese and Asian
The same way people from Lybia are Africans and Africans
The same way people from Spain are Spanish and Europeans
The same way people from Israel are Israeli and Asian.
Saying people from Brazil are Americans is a lot like saying people from France are Eurasians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 PM

139 posts, read 328,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yes, but of course people would say that. People all over the world would tell you what city they are from. I am talking exclusively about states or territories. I can't really remember if I've heard anyone outside of the states identify with a state or region before their city/town or country. I just find it interesting.
Perhaps because as I stated earlier our states are very different. It is a huge country and each state has their own laws. Like gay marriage and legalization of pot in certain states but not the others. CA already has all the gun control laws that were shot down in congress last week. We enacted stronger gun control laws like back ground checks and automatic weapons after the 1993 shooting at 101 California St in San Francisco.

So we identify more with our state then our country. But like I said I usually say I am from San Francisco. Perhaps if people are from a small town in a big state it is easier to say they are from Texas than stating the small town that no one knows.

I have heard people from Australia say they are from New South Whales and it's probably because they are not from Sydney or Canberra. I have also heard Australians say they are from Queensland and also Victoria. Again they are probably not from Brisbane or Melbourne.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,915,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Saying people from Brazil are Americans is a lot like saying people from France are Eurasians.
Its true. But as well as we call a Frenchman "european" and not "eurasian" then we must call always a US citizen "Northamerican" and NEVER "American". It is very simple ¿you understand now the mistake?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Its true. But as well as we call a Frenchman "european" and not "eurasian" then we must call always a US citizen "Northamerican" and NEVER "American". It is very simple ¿you understand now the mistake?
I like it how it is now.

Brazil = Brazilians
Mexico = Mexicans
USA = Americans.

Lets just keep it at that.?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
If you combined the GDPs of ALL the other countries in North and South America, it is only 50% that of the United States.

The United States is by far the most dominant nation and the face of the Americas to the world. That is why the citizens of the United States have the right to be called Americans before anyone else.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM

839 posts, read 3,072,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you combined the GDPs of ALL the other countries in North and South America, it is only 50% that of the United States.

The United States is by far the most dominant nation and the face of the Americas to the world. That is why the citizens of the United States have the right to be called Americans before anyone else.
Hehe, sorry but why does that give you the 'right' to whatever? This isn't a competition. Besides, personally, I'm not talking about 'rights'. Everyone can speak however they wish, no one's gonna deny their right. I'm just talking about the roots of some cultural behaviors (in this case, using America for the US), and the fact that for some, like me, it's a bit surprising (strange, funny, whatever) that a country uses the name of a whole continent for itself.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM

In the USA we are taught we live in the continent of North America.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,915,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Now is the economic thing, after a few next posts it will be something about race (you know, the "hispanic" label, etc)

Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Default We are Americans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In the USA we are taught we live in the continent of North America.
and Wikipedia says so.

Americans, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Americans, or American people, are citizens, or natives, of the United States of America. The country is home to people of different national origins.

Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So does our U.S.Goverment.

American Citizens Services

Federal Benefits and Federal Agency Services for American Citizens Abroad

American Citizens Services

We even have a show named after us.

The Americans is an American television drama series created and produced by Joe Weisberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ame...2013_TV_series)

We have quotes about ourselves...some are quaint and some are eerie.

Quotes About Americans

“Americans may have no identity, but they do have wonderful teeth.”
― Jean Baudrillard

“I don't see much future for the Americans...it's a decayed country. And they have their racial problem, and the problem of social inequalities...my feelings against Americanism are feelings of hatred and deep repugnance...everything about the behaviour of American society reveals that it's half Judaised, and the other half negrified. How can one expect a State like that to hold together?”
― Adolf Hitler, Hitler's Secret Conversations, 1941-1944

Quotes About Americans (102 quotes)

And more good info about Americans

10 Things That Brits Don’t Realize Are Offensive to Americans

http://www.bbcamerica.com/mind-the-g...-to-americans/

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 04-24-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM

Yup,

Plus

American Airlines, American Idol, American Girl dolls, American Eagle, American Express
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas