Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times

Advertisements

What are people from United Arab Emirates called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
What are people from United Arab Emirates called?
Emirati

Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Brazilians are Americans, America is 1 continent, South America is a subcontinent, similar to saying northern Europe.
America is NOT one continent and Europe is.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Would a Brazilian or a Canadian go to Europe or Asia and when asked "Where're you from?" Would they answer with "America"?
I am sorry but people from Argentina and Brazil are not Americans. They are South Americans. There is no continent called America. Canadians are North Americans.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times
I get a big kick out of the the Latin Americans on this thread getting bent out of shape. The term 'American' belongs to citizens of The United States of America! Deal with it!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM

93 posts, read 140,241 times
Based on the Royal Academic of the Spanish language the correct form to call people from the USA is "Estadounidenses" not "Americanos". If a Spanish speaker use the work "Americanos" instead of "Estadounidenses" that person is not speaking correct Spanish.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,915,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
America is NOT one continent and Europe is.
We come back to the same point. Ok, suppose that America isn't a continent (Debatable, but it is a topic for another thread), then why the people of USA don't call themselves "North Americans" instead of "Americans"?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,886 times
Default It is merely .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Yes, as Almeida93 pointed out, we say "estadounidenses" and also "americanos", I have to admit, although I personally don't use "americano" for that, because I don't think it's accurate. Here in Argentina, I'd say most people say "norteamericano". All this issue is about the demonym "americano", but when it comes to the word America ("América" in Spanish), it's never, AFAIK, used to refer to the US. América in Spanish invariably means the Americas, or even sometimes just "Latin America".

Sure! In each country we consider ourselves American just like people from Span, the UK, France, Italy, etc., consider themselves European. It isn't a nationality.

When I was a child I used to like an ice cream flavor that we call "crema americana", and I always wondered why that name... which country in the Americas does that flavor come from? Only very lately I discovered that the word "americana" could very well be referring to the US... although I really don't know for sure.
x............It is merely the picturesqueness of his insanity that makes it more interesting than my kind or yours.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,915,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I get a big kick out of the the Latin Americans on this thread getting bent out of shape. The term 'American' belongs to citizens of The United States of America! Deal with it!
Yes Sir, because they also have blue blood

Old 05-02-2013, 05:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
We come back to the same point. Ok, suppose that America isn't a continent (Debatable, but it is a topic for another thread), then why the people of USA don't call themselves "North Americans" instead of "Americans"?
Why would we refer to ourselves by our continent? that's so vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas