Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

The Black American's African heritage was removed 250-300yrs ago, northern Indian Tribes replaced all of our core values and beliefs, while European Economics and Religion seasons the rest of the culture. Now top that off with Racial Terrorism for 100yrs after we gained Freedom and you have yourself a Black American. The Carib English Americans have much more African heritage retained in their cultures and far more general peace in their upbringing as a society than most people in the Carribean because the English stopped slavery and civil terrorism far sooner than the Spainards, and French, and U.S. Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 12:52 AM

7,529 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

One major difference is that for people from the British West Indies race is not much of an issue and it doesn't really form the basis of identity, while for African Americans its the foundation on which their identity is formed.
Many of those English speaking caribbean countries are majority Black islands so race is probably less of an issue there because of that. Blacks in these majority caribbean countries aren't living in a hostile white dominated culture that they've had to conform to and deal with like Black-Americans have had to do in the U.S.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Many of those English speaking caribbean countries are majority Black islands so race is probably less of an issue there because of that. Blacks in these majority caribbean countries aren't living in a hostile white dominated culture that they've had to conform to and deal with like Black-Americans have had to do in the U.S.

Skin color is the issue though. It really has been over the last 20 years, with the growth of a large black professional class, that open tensions between black and mixed people have become less of an issue.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
I had three black research mates, all of whom were female and two of whom were second-generation immigrants from Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados (no, she looked absolutely nothing like Rihanna). The two seemed excellently integrated with the black culture. In fact, it was the American-born one, an upper middle class lawyer's daughter, who seemed the least "ebonicized".

I would say one difference is typical foods; not really knowing how to cook (except for a few dishes) and always getting take-out, the Bajan one offered to teach me how to make "rice and peas". And, of course, there's Trini cuisine which is nothing like your standard AA / Southern cooking, Jamaican food, etc.

Many of the islands were mostly abandoned by white British colonists, so race relations are different. One Jamaican guy my dad met in the 1990s while he was on vacation loathed what he saw as "those lazy American blacks".

Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think the effects of segregation is mostly responsible for the African American (and American in general) fixation with race above all other things.

Even though slavery is used as the excuse, the reality is that slavery existed pretty much everywhere in this hemisphere and only in the USA did segregation became a huge deal. This explains the marked difference not just between African Americans and West Indians, but with any other African descended peoples in this hemisphere.

One thing I have found is that mixed race and black people through out the continent are not as fixated on race as African Americans are and I already explained why I think this is the case

That's the other side of the coin. African Americans are much more likely to talk about Africa, Africans, and everything that has to do with that. Yet, AA's are probably the least Africanized people of African descent. Maybe Canadians of African descent are equally or less Africanized than African Americans. All other African descended peoples whether its in Spanish America, Portuguese America, the West Indies or where ever; the African cultural influence is much stronger and much purer.

The funny part is that African descended people from the rest of the Americans don't feel the need to talk about Africa as often as African Americans do. But I also think the rough treatment African Americans got during segregation also explains this longing many have for a long lost 'home' in the old continent, while other African descendent people in the Americas feel comfortable enough with the place they were born in that they don't have this idealization of Africa as 'home' as many African Americans seem to have.

These are just observations I have witnessed. They could be a little off. LOL
I only just now decided to start reading this read. Can't rep you again but I completely agree!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm well aware of that. My point was that gumbo is as distinct in America as cou cou is. Outside of Louisiana and small patches of Texas and Mississippi, gumbo is not something commonly served in African American households.
Lies!. I'm born and raised in California and the majority of Black Americans I have ever known out here has a few family members who make gumbo, mine included. In fact, I was just talking to my father last night about making some and he's not sure if he should or one of our other relatives. I have lived in Northern and Southern CA by the way and it was common in both places.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
History professor Dr. Frederick Opie has written on the similarities between various black cuisines of the Western Hemisphere. He also shows there are major links between cooking styles and ingredients used on many West African dishes and traditional African American dishes. His book Hog and Hominy is an excellent read.

SN: Due to the great migration a lot of traditional Southern dishes are cooked through out the country now. Gumbo can be found all over. That is especially true for places like California where the vast majority of blacks here trace their families to back to Louisiana and Texas.
Thank you. My moms side of the family is from Louisiana originally, dads from Oklahoma.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
You would think this would be obvious.

Also, I think African Americans have more of a consciousness for this reason, but due housing patterns, have actually retained some cultural aspects.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 AM

334 posts, read 454,686 times
They're the similar, but they're also different

Last edited by CorderoAries; 03-22-2014 at 01:43 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Not really similar and even though the West Indies is strongly majority black, you can't just say wildly say they are the same race.

Plenty of pure Indian, Chinese and whites who call the West Indies home.

But realistically what makes them different is culture.

But even in the islands you can't just say one unified West Indies. Guadeloupians, Haitians don't share much of the same characteristics as Trinis or grendadians culturally.

The two groups only become similar when a West Indian person has babies and his future generation becomes American.

But off the boat West Indies aren't so similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas