Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I'm Haitian and I'll be first one to say that ice cube would be considered a mullato in Haiti and so with Chris Reid.

Mullato in Haiti means exactly what it means in America.

Half white half black or just a mix of black and white.
Thank you for clarifying that. By that definition, my mother would be considered mulatto in Haiti. Actually, she has some Native American ancestry as well. She might be considered Marabout. She is about Ice T's complexion.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why is Portuguese not considered "White" in certain parts of the Caribbean?

Their notion of a white person is one who approximates some one of Anglo Saxon ancestry in appearance. This pattern was set by the British colonial elites who refused to accept Portuguese, or the Syrian/Lebanese, as white. So hey evolved into a separate ethnic group.

Interesting that in Trinidad, which was a Spanish colony, and where the dominant white creole group are the French (some having distant mulatto connections) Portuguese are considered white.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that. By that definition, my mother would be considered mulatto in Haiti. Actually, she has some Native American ancestry as well. She might be considered Marabout. She is about Ice T's complexion.
True but also comes down to class to because I know some obvious mullato Haitians who hate the word mullato and would prefer to be called black. I wouldn't be surprised if a light skin man with nappy hair who grew up poor in port au prince was considered black. I know a few. Probably has a lot to do with class and location.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:26 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,880 times
What about a medium-dark brown nappy-headed Afro-American such as myself?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
What about a medium-dark brown nappy-headed Afro-American such as myself?
Dark brown nappy headed? You would be black in Haiti no question. As I said before mullato in Haiti has the same meaning as the term in America.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Their notion of a white person is one who approximates some one of Anglo Saxon ancestry in appearance. This pattern was set by the British colonial elites who refused to accept Portuguese, or the Syrian/Lebanese, as white. So hey evolved into a separate ethnic group.

Interesting that in Trinidad, which was a Spanish colony, and where the dominant white creole group are the French (some having distant mulatto connections) Portuguese are considered white.
Now I'm starting to get it.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
True but also comes down to class to because I know some obvious mullato Haitians who hate the word mullato and would prefer to be called black. I wouldn't be surprised if a light skin man with nappy hair who grew up poor in port au prince was considered black. I know a few. Probably has a lot to do with class and location.
Similar thing I see in the USA. Many people who look very mixed, but consider themselves Black. Actually, the American classification of race says anyone with any African ancestry is Black. But still, I have to consider this. By most accounts, my mother is considered a Black woman in America. On the other hand, I have to wonder. She did grow up working class, and is now part of a middle class family.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:04 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,400,459 times
Quote:
Similar thing I see in the USA. Many people who look very mixed, but consider themselves Black. Actually, the American classification of race says anyone with any African ancestry is Black.
I'm sorry, but this is not true unless you are referring to long obsoleted conventions of nearly a century ago. So, if you want to qualify that with "long out-dated conventions", etc, I'll buy it. Otherwise, the only people in the United States who subscribe to the "one-drop" rule are black Americans. Most other people would described mixed race people as mixed race.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM

93,242 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
No, he's mixed race that's a fact. Technically he's mixed race!
Given the social construct which has been discussed here, there is a reason why he is viewed as Black. There people that are mixed and identify as White as well. So, there are many things to consider.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 PM

93,242 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I'm sorry, but this is not true unless you are referring to long obsoleted conventions of nearly a century ago. So, if you want to qualify that with "long out-dated conventions", etc, I'll buy it. Otherwise, the only people in the United States who subscribe to the "one-drop" rule are black Americans. Most other people would described mixed race people as mixed race.
It's not even a one drop rule, which to be honest, is being overstated here. These aren't people with "one drop" of African ancestry and many times, this only came into play for those with notable yet lower percentages of African ancestry.

Also, Black people didn't create the social construct and another way to view it is that Black Americans took the construct and made it their own by including and accepting the variety that is among people of Black African descent, more so than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas