Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:33 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Exactly, and I am Panamanian. We are historically linked to South America, Geographical linked to Central America and Culturally linked to the Caribbean, so who figures.

Most Panamanians do not consider ourselves part of neither South or Central America, we are just simply Panama.

As far as our looks go, we do not resemble Central Americans because of their indian heritage, we, on the other hand, are a blend of races and are taller and have bigger bodies than Central Americans.

I can give other reasons but it will make my post too long.
But neighboring Costa Rica has a tiny indigenous population.

All Central American countries have different racial compositions for their people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 02:24 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Most of Costa Rica is considered culturally akin to the coffee region in the Colombian Andes; Panama to the Caribbean region of Colombia. The idea that Panama is somehow a special stand-alone nation is narcissistic.

It's strange that an entire nation and an entire region within a bigger nation separates two kindred cultures.

The fact of the matter is that all across Latin America there are pockets of different cultures. Roatan in Honduras, Bluefields in Nicaragua and Limon in Costa Rica have more in common with Jamaica than neighbouring Guatemala or even their own respective capitals.

I think the stereotypical Central American connotation may have something to do with it. What's clear is that there is somewhat a divide between Costa Rica, Panama and the rest of the C.A. nations in general terms. Doesn't change the fact that both nations are in Central America.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 AM

439 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Most of Costa Rica is considered culturally akin to the coffee region in the Colombian Andes; Panama to the Caribbean region of Colombia. The idea that Panama is somehow a special stand-alone nation is narcissistic.

It's strange that an entire nation and an entire region within a bigger nation separates two kindred cultures.

The fact of the matter is that all across Latin America there are pockets of different cultures. Roatan in Honduras, Bluefields in Nicaragua and Limon in Costa Rica have more in common with Jamaica than neighbouring Guatemala or even their own respective capitals.

I think the stereotypical Central American connotation may have something to do with it. What's clear is that there is somewhat a divide between Costa Rica, Panama and the rest of the C.A. nations in general terms. Doesn't change the fact that both nations are in Central America.
Geographically that is.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Panama is distinct from most other countries in Central America, but the difference isn't big at all. I personally think there is a much bigger difference between New England and Hawaii than between Panama and any of the other Spanish American countries in Central America.

Want to talk about a truly different country? Lets talk about Belize. Even they accept that they are in Central America, but their differences from the rest of the countries on the isthmus is so great, that they don't suffer the desire to even say they are very different from the rest.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Geographically that is.
Panamanians and Costa Ricans may have a minority culture within the Central American geographical space, does not make you any less Central American.

Guyanans are culturally more akin to the anglo-caribbean, doesn't make them any less South American.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Panama is distinct from most other countries in Central America, but the difference isn't big at all. I personally think there is a much bigger difference between New England and Hawaii than between Panama and any of the other Spanish American countries in Central America.

Want to talk about a truly different country? Lets talk about Belize. Even they accept that they are in Central America, but their differences from the rest of the countries on the isthmus is so great, that they don't suffer the desire to even say they are very different from the rest.
I think we are talking Central America here.

Well go ahead and ask any Panamanian if we consider ourselves Central Americans and you will see what they tell you. We dont share their cuisine, traditions, culture, heritage as the other Central Americans do.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:26 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikollen View Post
Panama resembles Colombia and Venezuela in all aspects more than they resemble Central America.

A panamenian feels closer to a Colombian than to a Guatemalan.

Don't forget that Colombia, Venezuela and Panama were once a single country.
A Panamanian feels closer to a Costa Rican/Nicaraguan than to a Peruvian/Bolivian.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 AM

626 posts, read 1,239,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikollen View Post
Panama resembles Colombia and Venezuela in all aspects more than they resemble Central America.

A panamenian feels closer to a Colombian than to a Guatemalan.

Don't forget that Colombia, Venezuela and Panama were once a single country.
Psst...Panamá, Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Psst...Panamá, Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador.

True

Old 07-20-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
A Panamanian feels closer to a Costa Rican/Nicaraguan than to a Peruvian/Bolivian.
Costa Rica and Panama have always got an excellent relationship. We help each other, contribute and back up each other, but Nicaragua???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas