Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM

284 posts, read 641,009 times

Advertisements

i believe there was a point in time where white/black relations in the US were good & we could work together & coexist in an environment w/o any negativity

fast foward to today there is a large number of hispanics and the number keeps growing (legal & illegal). it seems like the year 2013 was so focused on race & stereotypes i was beginning to think we were back in 1963 smh.

the biggest story being the trayvon martin issue. which turned into a black/white issue although the murderer was a hispanic.

interacting w/ the latinos in my city lets me know that race relations where they come from are not as good as they make it seem. in their countrys you are still judged and disabled because of the color of your skin.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-24-2013 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Race relations have long been an issue in the U.S. The Hispanic population just adds a different dynamic as the population is largely mixed, and like any other group, is not void of its own racial issues.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
what you're describing is more of an immigration issue than a race issue. Americans are more concerned with people coming here legally than anything else.

but if you want to talk about race -- many hispanics are white, so there isn't a perceived racial difference between them and the 'white majority' in the first place.

if you want to talk about race, it is important to differentiate between the hispanics who are white (Conquistador-American, e.g. Ted Cruz) and the hispanics who are have more African or Native American/Asian ancestry.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what you're describing is more of an immigration issue than a race issue. Americans are more concerned with people coming here legally than anything else.

but if you want to talk about race -- many hispanics are white, so there isn't a perceived racial difference between them and the 'white majority' in the first place.

if you want to talk about race, it is important to differentiate between the hispanics who are white (Conquistador-American, e.g. Ted Cruz) and the hispanics who are have more African or Native American/Asian ancestry.

Conquistador-American lol

The Conquistadores went to Mexico and Peru.

Cubans of Spanish descent came here during the late 19th century and early 20th century, along time after the Conquistadores were around.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Conquistador-American lol

The Conquistadores went to Mexico and Peru.

Cubans of Spanish descent came here during the late 19th century and early 20th century, along time after the Conquistadores were around.
i use "conquistador-american" euphemistically, to describe the cohort of white hispanic people who experience little-to-no ethnic bias in america.

(as opposed to the 5'3, dark-skinned guy blowing leaves in the subdivision next door, who can't speak english.)

Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
i use "conquistador-american" euphemistically, to describe the cohort of white hispanic people who experience little-to-no ethnic bias in america.

(as opposed to the 5'3, dark-skinned guy blowing leaves in the subdivision next door, who can't speak english.)
Lol, then I am one of those "conquistador-americans" It's no wonder why I don't experience any prejudice in the US, anymore anyway. I lost my Spanish accent and everybody says "I thought you were white". Hey, moron, I AM white just because I have 2 Spanish last names have they ever heard of a country called Spain? Or do they all think the language and culture come from Mexico? Geez

Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 AM

10,061 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:

LOL!

US Americans have a habit of questioning whether any white Hispanic is "truly white." If you think this thought process, which is shared by a very large percentage of US Americans, doesn't has its set of ethnic bias then you are definitely delusional, no offense. The whole part that even in the census US Americans make a distinction between "white Hispanics" and "non-Hispanic white" and expect people to identify themselves accordingly, is more than enough evidence of this.

Then there's the accent, mannerisms, way of thinking and seeing the world and plenty more etc that also gets in the way.

And there's no such thing as a 'conquistador-American.' The vast majority of the Spanish that migrated to Latin America did so centuries after the last conquistador died. Even the descendants of the conquistadors themselves are a tiny sliver of the total Latin American white population and there are many non-white Latin Americans that also descend from these conquistadors.

It always amazes me the degree some US Americans will go to divide people with their never ending hyphenations.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
i believe there was a point in time where white/black relations in the US were good & we could work together & coexist in an environment w/o any negativity

fast foward to today there is a large number of hispanics and the number keeps growing (legal & illegal). it seems like the year 2013 was so focused on race & stereotypes i was beginning to think we were back in 1963 smh.

the biggest story being the trayvon martin issue. which turned into a black/white issue although the murderer was a hispanic.

not to mention hispanics bring their ignorance w/ them also. interacting w/ the latinos in my city lets me know that race relations where they come from are not as good as they make it seem. in their countrys you are still judged and disabled because of the color of your skin.
I believe you live in a fantasy world. The only time relations between any dissimilar groups is "good" is when one of those groups stays contained within the behavioral expectations of the dominant group. That is throughout history of the world, not simply that of the United States.

The only way to achieve equality and good relations is to create an equal expectation of rights and responsibilities across all groups. Strip away any preferential treatment of any group and discourage abuse of any kind toward anyone regardless of group affiliation. Once everyone is being treated as they expect and responding in kind, then and only then will relations be good.

This is not a regulatory condition, this is a personal thought condition. We all have to believe and think this way, not be forced to act against belief and conditioning.

I am not sure why you believe hispanics bring "their ignorance" with them. They believe your are the ignorant one if you dont have the same backgound knowledge and learnings they have. Everyone has their own necessary knowledge to their culture and environment. You might be considered socially retarded if you cannot perform a specific dance or social ritual. You might be considered mentally deficient if you cannot skin an animal or cook a specific food that is common in another culture. That only means you do not share the common environment they come from. Time will cure that.

Just because something is not front page news and on all the blogger sites and tweets does not mean it is not present. Only that it is not fashionable or dramatic enough to draw attention.

Anglo-Hispanic relations have been mixed since hispanics were created. Yes, created. Hispanic in the North American context is a mixture of Spanish and Mestizo cultures and came into existance in the early 1500's. The Mestizo and Hispanics were considered second class citizens or even non-citizen by the Spainards and similarly by the Anglos later.

Anglo-Hispanic relations in Texas were mixed even before Texas came about. There were good relations and bad. Some Hispanics fought against Mexico in the Texas Revolution. Some fought against Texas even after the war was over. Many are fighting each other even today. Nothing new and nothing universal. Many Hispanics fall in love with and marry anglos and vice versa. Many Hispanics and Anglos become friend and business partners. Relations are an individual choice and bad relations are exploited for media consumption now and before.

The key is how each treats the other and expects to be treated in return. Someone who expects deferrence and respect but not give it will only have good relations with someone who has a poor self image and is expecting those demands. Someone who expects to be treated the same as they treat the other person will have good relations with many more people.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:

Well it started out as a self defense case, than unfortunately the race baiters started following the case....

and Hispanics have been in America for a very long time, they didnt just showed up later. they were one of the first to arrive.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:

not to mention hispanics bring their ignorance w/ them also. interacting w/ the latinos in my city lets me know that race relations where they come from are not as good as they make it seem. in their countrys you are still judged and disabled because of the color of your skin.
When would that have been? You do realize that lynchings were common occurrences in the South well into the 1930s, and that they continued in the 1950s. Have you ever heard of the Civil Rights Movement? White/black "relations" in the US were only "good" from the white perspective when blacks "knew their place and kept to it", ie, the back of the bus.

Hispanics and Latinos are not the same. Moreover, not all Latinos are the same. There are big differences among people from Mexico, from Cuba, from Puerto Rico, from Brazil, and from Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas