Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 09:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times

Advertisements

I have been listening to extensive world cup coverage on ESPN en Español. The commentators are Mexican, Argentine, Peruvian, Uruguayan, and Colombian.

Because of this conversation, I have been noticing the use of the term 'americanos' and 'America.'

The commentators have used the term 'los paises americanos' to describe all countries from the Americas.

I have also heard varios references to 'America' being used to includes the US and all Latin American countries.

You guys can argue until your face turns blue, but the reality is that the terms are used in different ways in the different regions.

Nothing will change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I have been listening to extensive world cup coverage on ESPN en Español. The commentators are Mexican, Argentine, Peruvian, Uruguayan, and Colombian.

Because of this conversation, I have been noticing the use of the term 'americanos' and 'America.'

The commentators have used the term 'los paises americanos' to describe all countries from the Americas.

I have also heard varios references to 'America' being used to includes the US and all Latin American countries.

You guys can argue until your face turns blue, but the reality is that the terms are used in different ways in the different regions.

Nothing will change that.
And the vast bulk of people

A) can understand what someone means when they say "America" or "American" and
B) don't really think of this as being an issue.

A few wannabe radicals with, quite frankly, nothing better to do with their time, doesn't make something a "dispute.". It means some people need to get hobbies or take up a cause worth taking up.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 PM

165 posts, read 189,531 times
I don't think anyone wants to make Spanish the official national language of the USA.[/quote]

I'm sure you've heard of LaRaza and other political groups that have pushed for this very thing. Many times.

As far as the other, there is no excuse for someone trying to claim someone elses citizenship, other than what I already stated. Even if someone had been taught that in text books, it still does not make it correct or right.

The facts are what they are.

You are either North American or South American, but neither makes you an American. A child could understand that. And if you don't understand why people are angry with someone trying to steal their nationality they have had for over 200 years, than nothing else can be said.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 PM

165 posts, read 189,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In next weeks episode, watch the foreigners complain about how Americans tie their shoes. go online to watch the bonus clip of them complaining about how Americans clean their clothes.

Thank you for watching the series Complaining about Americans and making us the number one show on the internet, we wouldn't be here without you folks!
This^

Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
I was also surprised to find out that South Americans think America is one continent and not two.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
This is really simple.

There are 7 continents. There is NO CONTINENT called America. None!!

There are TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE CONTINENTS that have PART of the same name, like MANY other SEPARATE COUNTRIES do also. THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON DUE TO THE NAME.

The two CONTINENTS are North America and South America. There is NO CONTINENT called America. If someone ask you which CONTINENT you are from, which NEVER EVER happens to start with, you would say either North America or South America, or that you are North American or South American. Why? Because there is NO CONTINENT CALLED AMERICA!!!

If you are asked what COUNTRY you are from you tell them your country name. If you are from the USA you say that, or I'm American. It is because it is the COUNTRY name that we say that, not the CONTINENT.

Again, there is NO CONTINENT called AMERICA!

So even though I am American, if I was ever asked about my CONTINENT, I would NEVER say America, because that is NOT the name of my CONTINENT. I would be from NORTH AMERICA.

So if your CONTINENT name means so much to you that when you are asked where you are from, you use that name instead of your COUNTRY name; then why do you only use a PARTIAL PART of your CONTINENT name. Especially when there is another ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CONTINENT that also has part of that name, and also another country with that name?? Are you purposely trying to make it confusing? Or are you just trying to steal someone elses identity? As I said, there is NO SUCH THING as a CONTINENT called AMERICA. At best, by using your CONTINENT name you would be NORTH AMERICAN or SOUTH American; but you would NEVER be an American.

I'm American because of my COUNTRY'S name ONLY.

There is NO WAY that you do not understand that! Look up how many COUNTRIES have PART of the same name, but are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Everyone understands and gets that. ONLY SOUTH AMERICAN'S can't seem to grasp that concept??? I don't believe that!!!

I believe you are trying to STEAL someone elses identity. Why else would you EVER go by your CONTINENT name to start with, and then ONLY USE PART of the name??? I think the answer is very clear!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful!+1 repped ya!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
I've got family from Colombia and they have never called theirselves anything but Colombian. Same with my family from Honduras. I think it's radicals with an agenda. Period. The same ones who want to make spanish our official national language.
They said they were Colombian but then the whole American crap came up.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I was just joking with that comment. Of course people are free to call themselves what ever they want, though I think it's rather silly to call yourself "American" if you are not from the United States but that's my opinion. What I do have a problem with is someone having an issue with a person who is from the United States being called an "American". Which basically was what the OP was going through with his Latin American friends. You would really have to have an insular mentality and not understand how the world really is. The overwhelming majority of the world's nations think of the United States when they hear the word "America". Whether you personally consider it right or wrong doesn't matter because it's the way it is. Someone who is an American citizen is an called an "American". There's no getting around that fact. I'm still shocked that this thread has gone to 32 pages.
Right? LOL

Old 06-26-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Because many people (not all) in South America are taught that US stole the name. It's been in the textbooks forever. So this issue will come up again in 10 years.

These are facts

0) The advocates of a more traditional name like Columbia for the new world lost out
1) United States of America formed in 1789
2) Great Britain conquered Ireland and formed United Kingdom in 1801
3) The United States of Mexico declared in 1821 deliberately mimicking the name of the USA

So there was a move to use the word "United" in country names. US is technically part of Mexico's official name.

I figure you have three choices when someone raises the issue
1) Try to sometimes use other words besides America and American
2) Explain that the tradition was adopted before there were any other countries in the Hemisphere, and even before the age of imperialism. It is now accepted worldwide, and you don't want to change
3) Freak out, call them names, stand on a soapbox, talk to them like they are idiots or live in their own little world

In light of it being a long standing intellectual issue, I think #3 is not the way to go.

Now the habit of calling the American Southwest Aztlan is something else entirely. No one seriously thought Aztlan was there before it got picked up as a revolutionary concept. It's true that no one actually knows where Aztlan is located, but the spanish texts at the time say it was within 150 leagues (500 miles) of Mexico City.

If you don't know the term Aztlan, it was the legendary home of the Aztecs before they began their migration to present day Mexico City.
I was born and raised in Berkeley California USA. I am an American. Always have been, always will be. I will not try to use another term for myself. We can turn that asinine statement around and say, "Try to come to terms with the fact that I am American."

Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I was also surprised to find out that South Americans think America is one continent and not two.
I know right? I mean if they want to believe that then they are welcome to do so but expecting us and anyone else to go along with them is intellectually insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas