Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,690 times

Advertisements

What's going on in Venezuela?

What's going on in Venezuela in a nutshell (English version) - YouTube

I think I speak for all other Latinos (as a Cuban Latina myself) when I say "Arriba Venezuela"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Yeah, it's horrible.

What's even worse is that there are still Americans who think the Venezuelan government is good and that Americans are being lied to by our media.

Had a Venezuelan girlfriend for a while, and also work with many Venezuelans on a regular basis.. it's really sad to hear the stories they tell about their country and just how bad their government is. I hope they can turn things around, although I don't think it'll change.

This whole ordeal isn't really anything new, there is just more violence recently.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Its a bad situation, I hope the violence doesn't spiral out of control.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Its a bad situation, I hope the violence doesn't spiral out of control.
Well they're shooting and killing students...

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM

10,108 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Miss Tourism 2013 apparently has been killed in one of the protests in Venezuela.

http://mexico.cnn.com/media/2014/02/...ezuela-esp.jpg

http://hoyesnoticia.net/wp-content/u...ss-turismo.jpg

A few videos I posted in another thread:

In this video its quite visible how the government agents are going around Venezuela on motorcycles shooting, beating, and killing the protesters.

The one thing that has me in shock is how most governments, especially in this hemisphere, are keeping their mouth shut about this. Venezuelan president Maduro has already said live on television that if people keep saying that he's a dictator, that he will act like one; and what would happen to Venezuela if he went crazy and ask all of his supporters to go to the street and fight for "the revolution."

This looks like something out of a movie.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Well many nations in Latin America are ruled by leftist regimes who are allied with Maduro such as Cuba, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Ecuador, and El Salvador ... obviously they are not going to criticize their fellow Marxist revolutionary especially when they get free oil from Venezuela.

Even here in the United States quite a few celebrities and even some Democratic Party politicians have publicly endorsed the Chavez/Maduro regime. In Puerto Rico the PIP, MNIH, MUS pro-independence parties are all very closely aligned with Maduro, the now dead Chavez, the Castro brothers, etc. They claim that the CIA is trying to overthrow Maduro and that Maduro is the greatest ruler in history. Then they wonder why 96% of Puerto Ricans oppose independence ...

Leopoldo Lopez is the Lech Walesa of our time, a true fighter for democracy and human rights. Sadly Maduro isent going anywhere anytime soon ... but God bless the people of Venezuela because freedom is something inside each and every Venezuelano and no dictator can take that away.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Well many nations in Latin America are ruled by leftist regimes who are allied with Maduro such as Cuba, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Ecuador, and El Salvador ... obviously they are not going to criticize their fellow Marxist revolutionary especially when they get free oil from Venezuela.

Even here in the United States quite a few celebrities and even some Democratic Party politicians have publicly endorsed the Chavez/Maduro regime. In Puerto Rico the PIP, MNIH, MUS pro-independence parties are all very closely aligned with Maduro, the now dead Chavez, the Castro brothers, etc. They claim that the CIA is trying to overthrow Maduro and that Maduro is the greatest ruler in history. Then they wonder why 96% of Puerto Ricans oppose independence ...

Leopoldo Lopez is the Lech Walesa of our time, a true fighter for democracy and human rights. Sadly Maduro isent going anywhere anytime soon ... but God bless the people of Venezuela because freedom is something inside each and every Venezuelano and no dictator can take that away.

As you noted, Venezuela is but the tip of the ice berg. Even Brazil and Argentina are facing internal strife for a variety of reasons. South America is also suffering a major drought as cited in another thread I posted and that means food shortages. People will put up with a lot of things but not being able to eat is not one of them. If things don't change soon, I expect to see a lot more general unrest elsewhere.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
I thought Brazil was doing relatively well economy wise? I know they had a whole series of big protests over transit fares a few years back but I dident know they had serious economic woes.

Venezuela though is beyond comprehension ... something as simple as toilet paper is nearly impossible to obtain.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I thought Brazil was doing relatively well economy wise? I know they had a whole series of big protests over transit fares a few years back but I dident know they had serious economic woes.
They fell like Russia die with the oil.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 PM

154 posts, read 454,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
They fell like Russia die with the oil.
They fell like Russia die with the oil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas