Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best South American Country to Visit
Uruguay 4 14.81%
Chile 7 25.93%
Brazil 12 44.44%
Argentina 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM

145 posts, read 160,489 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out which South American country and in particular which cities would be ideal for a honeymoon. The criteria would be as follows:

Safety: Very Important
Beaches: Very Important
Food: Important
Nightlife: Important
Cost: Somewhat Important

Basically, a beach city where a person with average street smarts could walk
around without much of a problem. I'm not looking for U.S.A. in South America,
but there is only so much culture shcok a man can take
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM

3,992 posts, read 6,801,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post

around without much of a problem.

Natal and Fortaleza

Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM

213 posts, read 298,527 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out which South American country and in particular which cities would be ideal for a honeymoon. The criteria would be as follows:

In order:
My tip: Santa Catarina.
Photos from Paraná and Santa Catarina State.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...on-rich-3.html
Santa Catarina State - SkyscraperCity

Safety: Very Important :

Chile is most safest.
Uruguay and Argentina
Brasil isn't safety, but Santa Catarina is most safest state in Brazil, not different than Argentina or Uruguay.

Only Brasil. Santa Catarina has amazing beaches, outside Rio and Northest are the best of South America.

Brasil, most diversity with good quality.
Argentina - Uruguay
Chile

Brasil and Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Outside Green Valley and Cafe de la Musique, many others like:
Pacha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJiR...yer_detailpage
P12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgI7...yer_detailpage

Is the same, maybe Brazil and Chile are more expensive, especially Rio in Brasil.

Welcome.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:

I would go to Cartagena, Colombia which is spectacular and meets all of what you want. Lots of culture, music, nightlife, safe, beautiful.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:41 PM

881 posts, read 924,312 times
your life will be at less risk in Medellin, Colombia, than in Rosario, Argentina. The former has a lower homicide rate. And Medellin is stereotyped as a cartel city, etc. You couldn't even compare the safest towns of Colombia with some sketchy areas of Buenos Aires or Montevideo.

it's not about what country is safer, since security issues aren't "homogeneous" all over the same country.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post

it's not about what country is safer, since security issues aren't "homogeneous" all over the same country.
I definitely agree. People don't live in countries they live in cities, but I am somewhat ignorant on the cities of South America outside the big 5 (Sao Paulo, Rio, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Santiago) I guess I should rephrase the question to say which city is the best. Keep in mind, safety isn't the only priority. I just want a city that most people from South America would consider reasonably safe.

I want to be able to relax and absorb a new culture. I want to say I have been somewhere that isn't "oversaturated" with American culture. I want to go outside the resort or hotel and meet new people. These things require a city be at least reasonably safe.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
your life will be at less risk in Medellin, Colombia, than in Rosario, Argentina. The former has a lower homicide rate. And Medellin is stereotyped as a cartel city, etc. You couldn't even compare the safest towns of Colombia with some sketchy areas of Buenos Aires or Montevideo.

False, homicide rate is not all to assess the issue of security.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,681 times
I love Rio!
For a honeymoon, that would be my choice if I were not from here!

Have you checked St. Marteen/ St. Barth? Its in Caribbean but I think for the kind of honeymoon you're looking for they fit prefectly.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 PM

I was thinking Rio, but everyone tells me I can't leave the resort if I go there. People say it's a big headache to venture out and party and try to steer me towards cities in Argentina and Chile and smaller Brazilian cities. So, what is the truth about Rio?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:47 PM

Rio is beatiful but i think is little overrated, on the other side Sta Catarina it's like a dream, beatiful places, people are so friendly and beatiful, its a magical scenary, quiet if you want or very busy with nightlife, trails, portuguese, italian or german colonial architecture, places to shop if you want. Its a dream! On the Rio you feel more Brazil yes, but this isn't necessarily good. Santa Catarina is beautiful and has different atmosphere as the Southern Brazil, more safety, clean and great destination... You can do a tour in several cities also , a relatively short state, it can provide you a wide variety of experiences if you want, wineries , dunes , restaurants, nightclubs , architecture, warm sea, forests.

Perfect for what you want!

Last edited by ParanaBoy; 04-15-2015 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas