Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times

Advertisements

This question has been circling around in my head so I might as well just ask.
I live in a city where walking around and talking public transit while wearing nice thingshas never placed me at any risk of getting robbed ( or I have never been robbed).

Now if I live somewhere and I had nice things and could not wear them outside without being robbed then what would be the point of having nice things?

Ex Say you had a really really nice engagement ring, but you live in a city where crime is high and chances are walking around outside wearing it you put your self at risk for getting your fingers cut off because someone would likely try and steal it.

Do very wealthy people in parts of the Americans have to live very sheltered lives to maintain safety?

I know with certainly I would not be safe walking around in Trinidad the way I do in Toronto. It would be very dangerous. I would be asking for trouble. Though I know in places all over Americas there are very wealthy people that have very nice stuff. Do they have to be wealthy enough to have security with them always? Or take a lot more percautions when out then the average person .

I like nice stuff... but I am not willing to DIE to wear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
That's where common sense comes in. Is at each individual discretion.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Do very wealthy people in parts of the Americans have to live very sheltered lives to maintain safety?
you aren't wealthy enough to hire security/cops/military

it sucks being rich enough to be targeted but poor enough to do anything about it

Last edited by MLSFan; 09-05-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 01:01 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Fear and loathing minorities...

Old 09-05-2017, 01:06 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
I can see the OP's issue, but only when I assume that people buy nice things simply to show off to others.

Plenty of people are more like me, buy nice things for our own enjoyment. What the rest of the people think about it is not my worry. Because of that I don't have a burning desire to show anything to anyone or even to wear it in public. When I do wear something in public it's because I woke up that day feeling like wearing my luxurious watch with a nice set of clothes or decided to drive the luxury car. I did it for me, for my own enjoyment. Due to this, I see no problem with wearing something luxurious only at home or in private settings, and also making well informed decisions of when to wear it in public.

Some people buy nice big houses and put a small fence to make sure the house is seen from the street. That type of person wants the uuuuhs and aaaaahs of people that don't know him and don't care about him.

Other people are like me, we buy nice houses and make sure the fence is tall enough and the put several pines and other types of trees along the perimeter that would hide the house as much as possible from the street. That nice house is for the enjoyment of my family, my close friends, and me; and the enjoyment includes the visual pleasure of its architecture and details. The world doesn't need to see or know of the existence of my house in order for me to feel a sense of self-worth.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
That's where common sense comes in. Is at each individual discretion.
That is what I hate. When the common sense factor stuff gets put out there.
It drives me nuts because similar to the idea some people have that if a woman dresses sexually and gets sexually assaulted it is her fault.
I like nice things. I work hard and bargan but to get nice things. No one has the right to steal my stuff. So why should I dress in a way I dont want to or in a way that does not reflex who I am because someone might want to steal my stuff.

In that case what is the point of having anything because there is always going to be some loser that will want to try and steal it from you.

At least in my city when getting robbed in general is pretty low. If I am on the bus or subway the chances are even lower. If I see someone looking too hard at my stuff I stare right bad at them hard and cold until they look away. Just so try and create the dont mess with me vibe because I am not going to be giving it up without a fight.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you aren't wealthy enough to hire security/cops/military

it sucks being rich enough to be targeted but poor enough to do anything about it
Exactly ....

I worked hard to get what I have and the super crazy rich people ( likely linked with criminal aways) have security so that leaves the upper middle class more volunerable lol !

Then again I wonder if some times people just assume it is fake lol.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Fear and loathing minorities...
Minorities? I am not even sure how to interpret that comment. Exaplain.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I can see the OP's issue, but only when I assume that people buy nice things simply to show off to others.

Plenty of people are more like me, buy nice things for our own enjoyment. What the rest of the people think about it is not my worry. Because of that I don't have a burning desire to show anything to anyone or even to wear it in public. When I do wear something in public it's because I woke up that day feeling like wearing my luxurious watch with a nice set of clothes or decided to drive the luxury car. I did it for me, for my own enjoyment. Due to this, I see no problem with wearing something luxurious only at home or in private settings, and also making well informed decisions of when to wear it in public.

Some people buy nice big houses and put a small fence to make sure the house is seen from the street. That type of person wants the uuuuhs and aaaaahs of people that don't know him and don't care about him.

Other people are like me, we buy nice houses and make sure the fence is tall enough and the put several pines and other types of trees along the perimeter that would hide the house as much as possible from the street. That nice house is for the enjoyment of my family, my close friends, and me; and the enjoyment includes the visual pleasure of its architecture and details. The world doesn't need to see or know of the existence of my house in order for me to feel a sense of self-worth.
I am not concerned about what other people thing ... I am concerned about keeping my stuff with me rather then stolen by someone else. It is for me!

In the words of Drake ... " I wear every single chain, even when I’m in the house becasuse I started from the bottom now we here".... lol! I always wear my jewlery. If I a having a bad day ... I start playing with it .... it make me happy! Ex like how cat play with string..... ! When I get bored with it maybe I will try and sell it.... but for now I am wearing it at least when in my city. When travelling no way.

The stuff I am wearing is nice ... but it is not the cream of the crop! Ex Cartier, Bulgari etc. That stuff is a whole other level of wow.

I dont understand the concept of having nice things and not using them.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,743 times
People get used to it...the weird precautions that seem excessive to you seem normal to them...they also just won't get extremely fancy stuff...if you get too used to the relative safety of Toronto, moving to a high crime nation or metro area will seem oppressive without some great enticing thing e.g. national pride, great economic opportunity to offset it. Yes they live sheltered lives but its normal to them.

Also, why assume they don't use nice things? Luxuries just may be different. It may be dangerous to walk around with a nice engagement ring like you could do in Toronto, but in Trinidad, all those rich folks can go to an exclusive party on a private access beach in Tobago every week. You can't do that in Toronto. People find a way to make it work. When it gets too bad, they leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas