Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
sorry, but peruvians and chileans look quite different. (personal experience) Also you are comparing a whole country's average genetic composition with another's "populous region". Chile is whiter than both Colombia and Venezuela imo. (also personal experience)
Absolutely they're different, it's an unfounded stereotype but every stereotype has some truth hence the larger native american component in Chile that most Chileans would rather distance themselves from.

Also Colombia is much bigger than Chile, which just reached 18 million people. "Populous regions" of Colombia such as the Paisa region alone have 11 million, the Santander region which has arguably the largest European genealogy in Colombia has 3.5 million. Now when it comes to the Caribbean, the east has a 15% African component and the western Caribbean has a 30% African component. In the Pacific region 80+% of Colombians are of African descent. Both coastal regions make-up 12 million of the population.

Colombians in general (there are always exceptions) are on the whole among the most comfortable, accepting and proud of their ethnic make-up in the region. Blacks really feel Africa, there are 87 different indigenous groups many of whom are venerated such as the Kogui & Ika and Criollos/Mestizos are defiant and frequently cite their Muiscan and Quimbayan civilizations; proudly referring to themselves colloquially as "Chibchombianos" after the Chibchas to distinguish themselves from Spanish culture even though some 20% of the entire population are practically fully Spanish. Manizales is a very proud culturally Spanish city however.

Chile, a generally homogeneous country (aside from the north) is similar ethnically to the Cundi-Boyacense region of Colombia which has 12 million people.

Paisa Culture/People - 11 million inhabitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Isn't Spain one of the main destinations for Colombian immigrants?
Yes it is, it has the third largest Colombian community outside of the US and Venezuela and is closely followed by the UK. However, that doesn't really hold any influence over whether Colombia is more like Spain or not.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 07-23-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Cundi-Boyacense Culture/People - 12 million people

Pacific Culture/People - 2 million

Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
^^

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised at Colombia, I would've thought the Bantu component to be somewhat higher. After all it's constantly referred to as the country with the largest black population out of sub-Saharan Africa after Brazil and the USA.

Would be interesting where the sample was taken from because ethnic composition in Colombia is very dependant on geographical regions, i.e. the Pacific coast is over 80% black, + it's the only country where an African influenced language still survives in the Americas.
Folks get their DNA samples from the whitest segment of the population to further their theory of how white their populations are. The same person wants to prove that Dominicans are majority European, which is a laugh.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Folks get their DNA samples from the whitest segment of the population to further their theory of how white their populations are. The same person wants to prove that Dominicans are majority European, which is a laugh.
You mean the person that conducted the study or the poster.

I've been to the Dominican Republic twice, once for a relatively long period of time, I also know many Dominicans and I would agree that the white component is slightly ahead of the black component as in the study. In the Americas anyone that's quarter black seems to be considered black. Obviously this is not true from a genealogical perspective. Not saying self-identity isn't historically a problem on the island, I've heard many Dominicans with pronounced west African features self-identify as "Indio".

Re: Colombia pool, regionality and isolation has to also be considered. Black and Indigenous populations in rural, difficult to reach areas hold a higher representation than the national average. I imagine most samples were taken from urban areas but if the information is available, I would be interested to see it.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 AM

491 posts, read 753,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fincher View Post
The last colonies, without a doubt. The country hat severed links 117 years ago and that practically mantained an Spanish administration 30 years more. The countries that became independent almost a century earliers are very different since they adopted new models.

Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are very different because they became independent 200 years ago, and they received Italian influence.
Argentina, Chile and Uruguay have had Spanish influence for 500 years now... Also I don't Think Chile got as much italian influence as Argentina or Uruguay

Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Which Central/South American or Caribean Country is most like Spain, considering the Spanish dialect spoken, overall culture, food, physical appearance of the citizens etc.? I'm guessing one of the South American countries like Argentina, Chile or Uruguay, but I could be wrong.
Spain is very big and different regions hold different cultures. People from Galicia don't have much in common with Canarians or Catalanes are very different from Andalucians. Many of the Spaniards that colonized America were Canarian or lived lived in Canarias many years so you will see a lot of Canarian influence.

Now to answer your question:

Spanish dialect: None. Canarians sound like Chilean sometimes though
Overall culture: None. Maybe Venezuelan and canarians.
Food: Maybe Peru since many regions love seafood.
Appearance: None

Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 AM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

Spanish dialect: None. Canarians sound like Chilean sometimes though
I've been told (my SO's father's family is from Cuba via the Canary Islands) that Cubans can travel to the Canary Islands and almost be mistaken for locals due to the dialects being so close.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:58 AM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
I've been told (my SO's father's family is from Cuba via the Canary Islands) that Cubans can travel to the Canary Islands and almost be mistaken for locals due to the dialects being so close.

True.

Many words, phrases and accent used in the everyday speak of Cubans and to some extent Puertoricans is similar to Canarian spanish.

One word that comes to mind:
Guagua = a city bus.
The same word to a south american (Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Bolivian):
Guagua = an infant/a baby.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 PM

51 posts, read 47,667 times
Actually, the same language as Cuban is a dialect of Canarian. In the countryside, they speak Canarian. Canarian has been also spoken in some areas of Louisiana and Florida during centuries.

Last edited by Karlo Marlo; 08-06-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 07:54 PM

275 posts, read 332,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Argentina, Chile and Uruguay have had Spanish influence for 500 years now... Also I don't Think Chile got as much italian influence as Argentina or Uruguay
They have more British influence, after Spanish. The Chileans I know have some sort of British ancestry, Mostly English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas