Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
The only correct answer (if a capital of the America's were actually possible)...whether it be following Washington's wishes by choice or coercion, or purposefully going out of the way to not follow those wishes...Washington, for better or worse, sets the tone...DC's position as capital of the Americas is actually stronger than the city's position in other city vs city debates on this site...this is a clear "win" for DC...one would have to completely ignore the 20th century and the last 15 years to pick any other city besides DC
Wrote this so long ago...time really flies...DC is still the only logical answer...USA is the dominant country in this hemisphere and goes out of its way to interfere in the affairs of others in the "New world...doesn't matter how many Latinos live in other cities, all major decisions regarding US influence over the rest of the hemisphere go through DC somewhere along the chain

Picking any city outside of the USA assumes an equality among the nations of the Americas that does not exist. If we want to suspend reality for a minute, then the capital would probably be in a small Central American or Caribbean country so as not to defend any of the big dogs (kinda like Belgium in Europe). I can see Panama (Panama City) or Costa Rica (San Jose).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:04 PM

827 posts, read 865,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Totally fake. It's obvious that in Manhattan there are inhabitants and companies from all over the world, including americans.
There are more brazilians in NY met area than in Miami
http://internacional.estadao.com.br/...20010911p26522 (But if you say florida there are more in Florida)
In absolute numbers yes, there are probably more brazilians in NYC than in Miami. But we need to see the proportion. 300 thousand brazilians in the NYC Metro are like 1.5% of the population, while 200 thousand brazilians in the Miami metro are more than 3.5% of the population.

I am sure that the presence of brazilians (and many others latin-americans) in Miami is stronger than in NYC.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Wrote this so long ago...time really flies...DC is still the only logical answer...USA is the dominant country in this hemisphere and goes out of its way to interfere in the affairs of others in the "New world...doesn't matter how many Latinos live in other cities, all major decisions regarding US influence over the rest of the hemisphere go through DC somewhere along the chain

Picking any city outside of the USA assumes an equality among the nations of the Americas that does not exist. If we want to suspend reality for a minute, then the capital would probably be in a small Central American or Caribbean country so as not to defend any of the big dogs (kinda like Belgium in Europe). I can see Panama (Panama City) or Costa Rica (San Jose).
DC and American influence is not necessarily on the ground obvious in Latin America. So no, DC is not the capital of the Americas. America's interference also doesn't necessarily mean that it actually works. The US is unable to stem the flow of drugs from Latin America. DC is more a paper tiger than anything.

Oh the Colombian government, a government the US has supported has made peace deals with FARC and is negotiating deals with other rebel groups. What American influence?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude;47379624[B
]DC and American influence is not necessarily on the ground obvious in Latin America. So no, DC is not the capital of the Americas. America's interference also doesn't necessarily mean that it actually works. The US is unable to stem the flow of drugs from Latin America. DC is more a paper tiger than anything.

Oh the Colombian government, a government the US has supported has made peace deals with FARC and is negotiating deals with other rebel groups. What American influence?
I never said it was. Secondly, you are replying to a quote that contained an earlier quote from me. In that earlier quote I indicated that it may not be possible to have a capital of the Americas. Please read both quotes to get the full message. I even implied that US influence could also be defined by what a country does to go against US wishes.

Colombia making a deal with the FARC does not mean the USA does not have influence there. Colombia is not a colony. Colombia does not have to do everything the USA wants (assuming the USA has a problem with the FARC deal).

This is a purely hypothetical exercise. However, if you are saying that the USA does not have influence in Latin America (you implied it but never came right out and said it), then your understanding of the history of the Americas is so different from my own that we will never see eye to eye on this topic. We will agree to disagree.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
I never said it was. Secondly, you are replying to a quote that contained an earlier quote from me. In that earlier quote I indicated that it may not be possible to have a capital of the Americas. Please read both quotes to get the full message. I even implied that US influence could also be defined by what a country does to go against US wishes.

Colombia making a deal with the FARC does not mean the USA does not have influence there. Colombia is not a colony. Colombia does not have to do everything the USA wants (assuming the USA has a problem with the FARC deal).

This is a purely hypothetical exercise. However, if you are saying that the USA does not have influence in Latin America (you implied it but never came right out and said it), then your understanding of the history of the Americas is so different from my own that we will never see eye to eye on this topic. We will agree to disagree.
I never side the US has no influence in Latin America.

Russia has had influence in Latin America. So do European nations. So does China.

Latin American nations influences each other.

That does not make DC the capital of Latin America, or mean that Latin Americans just follow orders from Washington.

By the way, Russia had influence in this election in the United States. Is Moscow the capital of the US?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never side the US has no influence in Latin America.

Russia has had influence in Latin America. So do European nations. So does China.

Latin American nations influences each other.

That does not make DC the capital of Latin America, or mean that Latin Americans just follow orders from Washington.

By the way, Russia had influence in this election in the United States. Is Moscow the capital of the US?
Its not that serious to me Boss...purely hypothetical fun scenario...like I said, our understanding of the history of the Americas is different...I gave my reasons for DC (and also San Jose, Costa Rica and Panama City, Panama)....you disagree? Cool

Old 03-03-2017, 03:44 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,483 times
Miami, of course.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:47 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
In absolute numbers yes, there are probably more brazilians in NYC than in Miami. But we need to see the proportion. 300 thousand brazilians in the NYC Metro are like 1.5% of the population, while 200 thousand brazilians in the Miami metro are more than 3.5% of the population.

I am sure that the presence of brazilians (and many others latin-americans) in Miami is stronger than in NYC.

And also richer, NY is far, Latins there tend to be very poor.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 AM

992 posts, read 875,028 times
Miami, Los Angeles, DC, Mexico City, Panama City, or Bogota.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:00 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Miami, Los Angeles, DC, Mexico City, Panama City, or Bogota.
Out of this I think the only viable option is Panama city.

1. Miami is in the US, no capital of the Americas can be in the US due to heavily tilted power balance.

2. Los Angeles, same as above and the extra problem of no South American or Caribbean country having any relevant connection to this city. It's also geographically removed.

3. DC, same as the three reasons above and current seat of power of the most powerful country.

4. Mexico City, there will be animosity towards this option from Brazil, some US-americans and perhaps Argentina plus indifference from the English speaking Caribbean.

5. Bogota, there will be animosity towards this option from Venezuela, Ecuador, Panama and Nicaragua. Even Cartagena which would be my pick in Colombia would have some rejection from these countries.

The de facto capital would be Panama City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas