Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,386,440 times

Advertisements

They are really native Americans who speak Español. I discovered a lot of Latino people have Native American relatives. So why don't they claim there inheritance and land back already? I mean why can anybody explain?

They just accept they are Spanish as in Spain or etc religion and talk about colonization. But a huge chunk of them are really Native Americans ( logically speaking ).

I would rather see an Latino kid embrace there heritage they become engulfed in street culture. I would rather see an Latino adult embrace there native indigenous heritage instead of have big european talk about blah blah ( you know all of that ageless stereotypical mumbo jumbo ). I am tired of seeing Latino people ( especially men ) throw away there lives and becomes absorbed into problematic situations.

I want to see strong people who are respectable. Not grown adults who wish they were teenagers. I just had this idea for a moment after realizing why people struggle with the identity of Latin/Spanish/Bilingual/and all of that nonsense. I am tired of it. It is Native American 101. That is my idea. Just abandon the European culture a bit. Keep the street culture in the back drop, and just display an intensity of the Americas. I understand living conditions and what people strive for but it is destroying people as a whole is it not???

Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,076,741 times
Maybe because most are mixed? Could be!

A few recent genetic findings...

Mexicans

Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans; Haitians, Hondurans, and Colombians

Cubans (most recent genetic study)

African Americans, Barbadians, Colombians; Dominicans, Ecuadorians, Mayans; Mexicans, Peruvians, and Puerto Ricans

And this is just a small sample of all the genetic studies after genetic studies that confirm the obvious: most Latin Americans are heavily admixed.

I'm beginning to think that many people on City-Data have serious issues regarding Latin America's admixed reality. It seems that hardly a month goes by without someone creating a thread where they want to 'disprove' the admixed reality of most Latin Americans.

Funny how they never quote genetic tests to 'prove' what they claim is the truth. Hm, I wonder why... lol

Old 09-11-2015, 12:22 AM

749 posts, read 859,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
They are really native Americans who speak Español. I discovered a lot of Latino people have Native American relatives. So why don't they claim there inheritance and land back already? I mean why can anybody explain?

They just accept they are Spanish as in Spain or etc religion and talk about colonization. But a huge chunk of them are really Native Americans ( logically speaking ).

I would rather see an Latino kid embrace there heritage they become engulfed in street culture. I would rather see an Latino adult embrace there native indigenous heritage instead of have big european talk about blah blah ( you know all of that ageless stereotypical mumbo jumbo ). I am tired of seeing Latino people ( especially men ) throw away there lives and becomes absorbed into problematic situations.

I want to see strong people who are respectable. Not grown adults who wish they were teenagers. I just had this idea for a moment after realizing why people struggle with the identity of Latin/Spanish/Bilingual/and all of that nonsense. I am tired of it. It is Native American 101. That is my idea. Just abandon the European culture a bit. Keep the street culture in the back drop, and just display an intensity of the Americas. I understand living conditions and what people strive for but it is destroying people as a whole is it not???

What type of talk are you referring to?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:11 AM

502 posts, read 656,972 times
there are "pure" Native American communities in many Ibero-American countries. But not that many (it depends on the country as well). There are also linguistic, social and economic pressures to those groups.

Reality is much more complex than your pan-Native-American dreams.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:54 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,560,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Maybe because most are mixed? Could be!

A few recent genetic findings...

Mexicans

Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans; Haitians, Hondurans, and Colombians

Cubans (most recent genetic study)

African Americans, Barbadians, Colombians; Dominicans, Ecuadorians, Mayans; Mexicans, Peruvians, and Puerto Ricans

And this is just a small sample of all the genetic studies after genetic studies that confirm the obvious: most Latin Americans are heavily admixed.

I'm beginning to think that many people on City-Data have serious issues regarding Latin America's admixed reality. It seems that hardly a month goes by without someone creating a thread where they want to 'disprove' the admixed reality of most Latin Americans.

Funny how they never quote genetic tests to 'prove' what they claim is the truth. Hm, I wonder why... lol

You post these DNA tests as if they are gospel. Given the diversity of ancestry across social class and geographic region how does one know how reliable these tests are. Any one who has spent some time in Santo Domingo would query your results for Dominicans.

An additional factor is also how Latin Americans view their admixture. A heavily African or Amerindian person is called "mixed" because of visible ancestries from elsewhere, whereas as some on with significant European ancestry, but visible non European ancestry can be "white".

Classifications are more reflective of social constructs of race. So one who has more "bad" elements (African and Amerindian) can be mixed if visible "good" elements (European) exists. However some who has the "good" element (European) can escape the stigma of being non white, even if they have visible "bad" elements. So its easy not to be black or Amerindian, and also easy to be white.

Last edited by caribny; 09-12-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 04:10 PM

218 posts, read 343,643 times
Quote:

The idea of "most Latinos being Native Americans who speak spanish" is definitely true with most Mexicans, and most people in Central & South America, as most these ppl have a significant amount of Native American ancestry, so most thes ppl are indigenous indian or mixed race mestizo. However , countries like Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic are largely mulatto (European & African) with European stronger in PR and African stronger in DR, both countries have small amounts of Taino present as well but not alot, they both have large amounts of ppl who are almost entirely spainiard or west african. Cuba , like PR & DR, has a large amount of mixed race mulattos and a smaller number of blacks, but it is majority white, and that shows in its US diaspora. Even countries like Panama & Colombia have large black and white populations. Argentina and Uruguay are almost entirely European.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,560,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
. Cuba , like PR & DR, has a large amount of mixed race mulattos and a smaller number of blacks, but it is majority white, and that shows in its US diaspora. Even countries like Panama & Colombia have large black and white populations. Argentina and Uruguay are almost entirely European.

I think, because of the heavy migration of the white population, higher birth rates among the mulatto and black population, combined with increased interracial miscegenation, the majority population of Cuba is now mixed.

The extent of the "white" and "black" populations are also debatable as self identification in the census allows mixed looking people to claim to be white, and some blacks to claim to be mixed.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,076,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
The idea of "most Latinos being Native Americans who speak spanish" is definitely true with most Mexicans, and most people in Central & South America...
I wouldn't say that. The only countries that come close to what you say are Bolivia, the mountainous parts of Peru, maybe parts of Ecuador, and in many areas of Guatemala, plus the southern part of Mexico. Everywhere else Native American people are a drop in a very big bucket. Its also wrong to say that mestizos and Native Americans are one and the same or to lump them together.

If we take Peru as an example. In mountainous places, such as Cuzco, most of the people are Native American. There's no point in debating the obvious. But in Lima and up and down the coast its more of a mestizo society. I think most of Peru's population lives along the coast. The image people that haven't been to Peru have of the country is that most of its people are Native Americans, but that's not a completely true portrait.

In most Latin American populations that have been genetically studied, the European component is greater than the Native American (or the African, where it applies) component. I would not be shocked if the remaining countries show an overwhelmingly similar pattern. Anyone that has more Euro or Afro than Native American shouldn't be considered to be similar to Native Americans to lump them together. And then there's the culture and lifestyle, which is predominantly not of Native American origin.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-12-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 08:28 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,439,656 times
I didn't undestand very much about the opening question, but in many parts of latin america, specially where there are still many indians, this culture is valued.
In Parintins, the quality of the allegories and props are so nice that they were recruited by samba schools from Rio.

The problem is that centuries later, indians in native forests are still killed and expelled from their land, and the deflorestation is a serius problem until today.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 AM

491 posts, read 755,131 times
Quote:

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Latin America isn't a single country... and with most countries, people look different, act different and talk differently. Should they embrace a language and culture that went extinct some 500 years ago? Why not start with yourself?

Did you want to turn Rio de Janeiro from a modern beach city back to jungle? Or Santiago's hyper modern glass skyline into huts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas