Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:05 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times

Advertisements

Latin Americans are very mixed. There are some whites there, but a much larger proportion of Latin Americans are mestizo. Argentina, Uruguay, and southern Brazil in particular have a fair number of white people, but more so because of European immigration to those areas.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:38 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
They are really native Americans who speak Español. I discovered a lot of Latino people have Native American relatives. So why don't they claim there inheritance and land back already? I mean why can anybody explain?

They just accept they are Spanish as in Spain or etc religion and talk about colonization. But a huge chunk of them are really Native Americans ( logically speaking ).

I would rather see an Latino kid embrace there heritage they become engulfed in street culture. I would rather see an Latino adult embrace there native indigenous heritage instead of have big european talk about blah blah ( you know all of that ageless stereotypical mumbo jumbo ). I am tired of seeing Latino people ( especially men ) throw away there lives and becomes absorbed into problematic situations.

I want to see strong people who are respectable. Not grown adults who wish they were teenagers. I just had this idea for a moment after realizing why people struggle with the identity of Latin/Spanish/Bilingual/and all of that nonsense. I am tired of it. It is Native American 101. That is my idea. Just abandon the European culture a bit. Keep the street culture in the back drop, and just display an intensity of the Americas. I understand living conditions and what people strive for but it is destroying people as a whole is it not???
Because there's always been a huge stigma with being Native, and those with a clean Euro bloodline have always been on the top of the social scale, which gave them easy access to the top jobs running society and industry. Therefore, it was advantageous for as many people as could do so to deny any Native heritage they might have. This has been changing in countries where a strong Native rights movement has been able to gain ground, but there are still strong forces at work that marginalize Indigeous people.

It's only relatively recently that it was "ok", or even cool, to be upfront about Native heritage in the US. It wasn't that unusual for family lineages to have a relative no one talked about, because he or she was Native. It sounds like you're taking for granted that being Native is acceptable to society in the US--just another ethnic minority, like Italian, German, whatever, and that it doesn't hurt one's job prospects, marriage prospects, etc. That would be a mistake, to take that for granted.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:08 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humming100 View Post

They could use the term mestizo since Cuba has a very small Taino influence, as all Spanish Caribbean islands.

Of course use a term linking to the minute Taino influence, when Cuba would not be Cuban without the tremendous African imprint on that island.

In fact statistics which claim that Cuba is 64% white, and less than 10% black adopt a criteria which allows light skinned mixed people to be "white" but considers to be "black" only the fully sub Saharan looking blacks. To claim that Cuba is overwhelmingly white is nonsense. The use of mestizo, rather than mulatto to describe those of mixed ancestry is telling, especially when we consider the use of mulato within daily Cuban usage.

An attempt to "de Africanize" the island by a people (the Castro regime) which has overwhelmingly white leadership, even as they claim to have all but eradicated racism.

The involvement of Cuban whites in santero is no more meaningful than that of US whites in jazz. It is probably more cultural appropriation than a sign of openness to peoples of African descent. Cuban blacks complain of the same manifestations of racism as do US blacks. The Castro regime is intent to prove that Cuban blacks are marginal, and so now we see the use of "mestizo".

Old 10-05-2015, 05:14 AM

212 posts, read 208,865 times
Serious statistics, such as those included before, mention 50 to 55 percent white, and they do remove about 10 percent that consider themselves white.

The use of the world mestizo only means that the academics that performed the test were foreigners...but black and white are not the only sources, since there are the chinese whose influence is noticeable in many people.

In Cuba, blacks are only black people, blacks themselves are divided according to their traits so there are telephone blacks, negron and 100 classifications more.

Mulattoes are divided in 200 or 300 categories based on colour and skin. From the lightest mulatto that could pass as white in some foreign country (hard hair or pelo duro) to mulattoes with black skin but caucasoid traits (mulato negro).

Mulattoes are not considered white, even though many do consider themselves white and are tremendously racist. In fact, the largest slaughter of blacks in Cuba were performed by mulattoes.

Racism has always been illegal in Cuba since the 1930 constitution (at least by law). Racism is outlawed in Cuba. There's no segregation, but people tend to group by their identity as in any place in the world.

Cuba is not overwhelmingly white, who said that?

Communists used the race issue to divide and create hate, as they did in Eastern Europe with different ethnicities. The result is social segregation.

Now, calling "black" to everybody with some black blood in them is totally weird and strange and a gross slur amounting to the N word in the States (that in Cuba is Niche).

But Niche is not an insult in Cuba when you are referring to some black.

In other words, in Hispanic countries "mulattoes" are not "black".

Last edited by pampliment; 10-05-2015 at 05:48 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 11:11 PM

Brazilian television slowly confronts country's deeply entrenched race issues | World news | The Guardian

Just a bit about the hypocrisy of Latin American claims that racism is only a minor problem there.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times
This news had already made an article suggesting that a morena brasileira should not have sitted at a white family table (!!!)

To post something from an ultra racist news like this shows how you "travel thru the mayonaise".

And this couple, as some others, had already made lots of shows on brazilian TV...

But according to the OP, all blacks and whites should forget about everything about european and african cultures for all of us bacame indians and desapear in the forests, anyway.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
To post something from an ultra racist news like this shows how you "travel thru the mayonaise".

And this couple, as some others, had already made lots of shows on brazilian TV...

Guardian is ultra racist!!!! ?????????

Hmmmmmm. I just think that some folks are in deep denial.

Do tell of all of these TV programs where that couple and others act as doctors, lawyers, architects, corpoarte execs, as we so often see in the USA, especially on ABC on Thursdays.

Also tell us about how many people looking like those actors discuss finance, politics and other intellectual topics on MAJOR programming? Any one with the stature of an Oprahm or even a Shonda Rhimes (creator of Scandal, Grey's Anatomy and other TV programming)?

Funny when asked THESE actors say otherwise! Yet here in this "race obsessed" USA we have this!

Last edited by caribny; 10-11-2015 at 03:09 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
Cuba is not overwhelmingly white, who said that?

Now, calling "black" to everybody with some black blood in them is totally weird and strange and a gross slur amounting to the N word in the States (that in Cuba is Niche).

But Niche is not an insult in Cuba when you are referring to some black.

In other words, in Hispanic countries "mulattoes" are not "black".

The Cuban census says that, I don't hear Cubans of any type denying this fact.

Funny that a drop of non African ancestry makes one not black, but here we have huge numbers of Cubans (64% in Cuba, 86% in the USA) self identifying as white.

How come the same rules don't apply? Is it that there is something so precious about "whiteness" that all must rush to it, and "blackness" is so terrible, that any one who doesn't look 100% sub Saharan African must rush from it?

Latin American hypocrisy, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't accompanied by endless chatter about how "race obsessed" the USA is. Clear race is a very powerful social construct in Latin America, even if folks consider any talk of it to be taboo.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Maybe because most are mixed? Could be!

A few recent genetic findings...

Mexicans

Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans; Haitians, Hondurans, and Colombians

Cubans (most recent genetic study)

African Americans, Barbadians, Colombians; Dominicans, Ecuadorians, Mayans; Mexicans, Peruvians, and Puerto Ricans

And this is just a small sample of all the genetic studies after genetic studies that confirm the obvious: most Latin Americans are heavily admixed.

I'm beginning to think that many people on City-Data have serious issues regarding Latin America's admixed reality. It seems that hardly a month goes by without someone creating a thread where they want to 'disprove' the admixed reality of most Latin Americans.

Funny how they never quote genetic tests to 'prove' what they claim is the truth. Hm, I wonder why... lol
As a long time genealogist, though not of Hispanic origins, I found the links fascinating. Thank you for sharing these. I intend to explore them more in depth.

I found when I started my dna journey that my maternal background, "appeared" to be Ashkenazi Jewish. I still do not understand all of it but I am trying.....<s>

My paternal is 100% European.

A fascinating subject, is dna.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:23 AM

212 posts, read 208,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The Cuban census says that, I don't hear Cubans of any type denying this fact.

Funny that a drop of non African ancestry makes one not black, but here we have huge numbers of Cubans (64% in Cuba, 86% in the USA) self identifying as white.

How come the same rules don't apply? Is it that there is something so precious about "whiteness" that all must rush to it, and "blackness" is so terrible, that any one who doesn't look 100% sub Saharan African must rush from it?

Latin American hypocrisy, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't accompanied by endless chatter about how "race obsessed" the USA is. Clear race is a very powerful social construct in Latin America, even if folks consider any talk of it to be taboo.

Why do you mess in the reality of countries that don't have anything to do with you?
You are not capable of understanding because you are filled with hate, that's why Jamaica is a very violent country.
As I said, people in Latin countries that have white, indian or chinese blood are not considered black, but are not considered white either, they enter into other classifications.
But what do you care? You are as related to them as to a Tibetan.
If you want to consider African, you are free to do it, you can consider yourself Klingon if you want, but stop spewing hate and resentment to other people that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU (thanks god).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas