Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 AM

224 posts, read 285,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Sad that it has to be so bad over there, looks like it could be a really nice place.

Also wish the US would make a path to residency a bit more realistic for these people that want to make their lives better. Makes me wish we could do more to get her family to a safer place.

Oh well, guess ill probably try to stall this trip for a few years with the hopes that it cleans up a bit. e
I know the feeling all too well, but that shouldn't discourage you from visiting there. My husband and I are going to stay in a rental in the neighborhood of Colonia Escalon which is considered a wealthy neighborhood there. We were originally going to stay in Suchitoto but it's a bit far from the airport. I would suggest staying away from places like Soyapongo, Illopongo, and Mejicanos. I wouldn't rent a car because we don't know the neighborhoods and streets well. Just make sure wherever you stay has security. If your wife is from El Salvador and her family as well, they probably know where are the good and bad neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
My wife was back in El Salvador recently. We were going to go as a family but we decided not to. We are planning do a trip to Guatemala and Nicaragua this coming winter.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:06 PM

97 posts, read 136,758 times
My wife is from El Salvador. We just returned from there.

My recommendation is for you to stay in San Salvador. The hotels I recommend is the Courtyard, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza or Intercontinental. Your wife may speak Spanish, but the locals will know she is NOT from El Salvador.

The best thing to do for her family, is for them to come to visit you at the hotel.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:32 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
I was a bit nervous making my first trip to El Salvador in 2006, coming from Honduras to Las Palmas, for even at that time tourism was discouraged, high murder rate, etc. As I gained more comfort, peace of mind, I then traveled to San Salvador & Santa Ana. And feeling no fear whatsoever, I returned there in 2007 and 2008, and chicken bussed it everywhere in that small country, Ahuachipan, Ruta De Flores, San Vicente, San Marcos. Never did I feel unsafe for one minute!

Stop and think! Who's killing whom? Gangers vs. Gangers? The few tourists who go there are being killed?

Even when the very worst was happening at the Mexican border, I regularly went to Tijuana for long weekends, feeling more safe than back in Las Vegas.

How you project yourself is ultra-important in any area of the world where you feel uncomfortable. Show any fear, worrisomeness, and you become a candidate for being robbed!

And, I've never stayed in any of those American chain hotels/motels in Central America, for safety reasons. If I were a San Salvadoran setting out some night to rob someone, where would I head to for the juiciest pickings? It certainly wouldn't be a hostel!!!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:49 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
El Salvador is a very dangerous country, honestly I wouldnt even leave the hotel in anything except a taxi, and thats just to get food or go to parks. Thats the reality. You can sense the insecurity on the street, and its one of those places where you can see ordinary guards walking around with shotguns. Its a scary place and a lot could go wrong

And Im not just some sheltered gringo saying this, Ive been in many Latin American cities and walked around in the middle of the night, but I would not even think about doing it in San Salvador

Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
El Salvador is on another level right now. Yes tourist have been getting targeted too. La libertad was cool 6 or 7 years ago but now reports of robberies are common place. I have been all over central America and this is the first time I have actually decided to avoid going some where. The main reason I go to El Salvador is to visit my wifes family.

I am glad tijlover had a good time there, and it is true not many tourist get killed there but El Salvador is not to be taken lightly. He mentions ruta de las flores. It is a very beautiful drive, but I personally know some one that was car jacked at gun point there near a place called 'los naranjos". The jackers didn't shoot him, they thought it would be funny to tie him up and throw him off a cliff. They threw him over and on his way down he got caught on some trees. He was dangling there for almost two days when some campesinos collecting firewood saw and rescued him.

My wife was in El Salvador for a few days about a month ago. She was driving some where with her relatives and at one point they saw a dead body on the side of the road. My wifes first instinct was to stop and call some one but her uncle said don't even think about it, just keep driving.

El Salvador is a very beautiful small country. It is a shame it is so dangerous, but even way back before the civil war El Salvador had a reputation in Central America as being a rough and tumble place. I really hope they manage to reduce the levels of violent crime someday, the country has so much potential.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 09-22-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas