Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 PM

345 posts, read 268,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
This. I was trying to prove a point earlier by saying that Latin American countries have very mixed and racially diverse populations but their cultures are still partly Euro derived and it's not just because of a colonial past. Europe still influences a lot of their cultures. There is back and forth and continued immigration too. It's not as though Spain or Southern Europe's influence is over.

I was also saying that I noticed that a Dominican who is black would probably have cultural similarities and understandings with people from Spain or Southern Europe. There wouldn't be a world's apart disconnect.

I still stand by my initial assumption that a lot of the talk by some posters about whiteness and Europe in LatAm stems from deep insecurities that most probably aren't held as much by real Latin Americans who understand their roots a bit more and their diverse cultures. A lot of the talk by some posters reeks of Atzlan/Chicano Mecha talk.

Latin America is closer to Europe, and I have been in both continents.
The US is like China, everything is different, Latin America is more traditionally European, Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
What the heck???
I have been to Latin America before, twice in my life but that was years ago.
You have not been north of Torremolinos except Lepe.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM

426 posts, read 351,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
You have not been north of Torremolinos except Lepe.
No I have never been to Torremolinos in my life lol. Are you trying to troll me? 🤣
I wouldn't mind going there someday. I love Spain so one day I will go back and visit the entire country!

Old 06-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
In many places in Latin America people do deny their indigenous heritage, or at the very least do not acknowledge it

Because humans are like that. When barbarians, vikings and such became civilized and Christian, they denied any relation with "savages". Just as British, they only have a scant minority of Anglo-Saxon influence and until a few decades ago, they denied any brytonnic -celtic culture-heritage. For British, Celtic was an insult used against Irish.

Take Germans, Hungarians, etc, they never say that most come from Asia, etc.

Take the Roman Empire, by the year 262 we were all Roman citizens, and the difference between Italics and Rome itself disappeared.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Because humans are like that. When barbarians, vikings and such became civilized and Christian, they denied any relation with "savages". Just as British, they only have a scant minority of Anglo-Saxon influence and until a few decades ago, they denied any brytonnic -celtic culture-heritage. For British, Celtic was an insult used against Irish.

Take Germans, Hungarians, etc, they never say that most come from Asia, etc.

Take the Roman Empire, by the year 262 we were all Roman citizens, and the difference between Italics and Rome itself disappeared.
This peaked my interest because I met a few Germans that looked a tiny bit central Asian which I though was weird. They looked a 1/4 Asian or something. They weren't mixed though they just looked a bit Eastern European or central Asian.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 AM

Read about Huns, Magyars, Alans....Soviet troops, etc.

Ancient Germans, the ones that moved to western Europe 1500 years ago, were the buffer zone between the Roman empire and Mongolic, Alanic and Slavic tribes....when they moved to the sunny side....all those people came rushing in.

The "Aryan" model is very minoritary in German and not from Germania, as they came from Jutland after the fall of the Roman empire.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM

200 posts, read 146,954 times
I'm Hispanic (only one parent is, though), and because I am very light-skinned I've often had trouble getting accepted by mestizos as Hispanic (my Spanish is not as good as my English and it's accented).

Old 10-25-2017, 12:30 PM

505 posts, read 392,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The US messes with people in so many ways, its not even funny.

The OP actually used to stress and worry about racial stuff. Only in the USA.

I'm glad the OP outgrew that 'phase' and finally came to grips with him/herself.

Spain and Portugal created counties with three-cultures since the very inception, imposing Roman law
as To achieve integration, to make them legal subjects. Tha's why older LT are stable, have a Single languaGe, religion, and are nations as Europeans notions are.

While the US are centrigugal nationa that tend to creare disfunction, facism and brake apart, as they model was that seizib conquesr and kikking and kikking, as saxons, bt they ar are dissappering and of the racial US nation is measured by a countdown

Last edited by farinello; 10-25-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 12:46 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisei View Post
I'm Hispanic (only one parent is, though), and because I am very light-skinned I've often had trouble getting accepted by mestizos as Hispanic (my Spanish is not as good as my English and it's accented).

In my opinion there is a lot of reverse racism too.
I know being white and from the Caribbean in Canada in school other kids from the Caribbean would give me a hard time. A lot of them also came from more oppressed or lower income situations where their families are from in the Caribbean and were not really exposed to people that look like me or my family from the Caribbean even if from the same country. I also think there was a sense of animosity. For example we might have been from a similar cultural background, but I was not a visible minority so I did not have to deal with any noticeable racism. People just thought I was Italian like most of the other kids in school. For some reason at times some of them expected me to confirm with whatever nonsense they thought I was suppose to like or do. They also were also young and I really doubt they think like that anymore.

Don't let other people define you. You don't need to act more like anything. Stand firm as who you are.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarbonell View Post
By the way there is a problem with this DNA results. Many people has probably not even realize this. But, there is a lot of Chinese and Japanese heritage in Cuba. So, how come it doesn't show up and instead I see native American. My province of Granma is full of people of Asian heritage, and what do I see Native American heritage. Where are all of the chinese I met in Cuba.

And all of this test are the same. Which has led me to believe they are confusing Asian with Native American due to the perception of others countries that Latin Americans must have native american heritage and not Asian.

I once heard they can't really tell the difference between the two since technically they are the same race. They only quest based on demographics which one you might be.

I wish I could bring this issue to someone, maybe George Lopez.

Cubans of East Asian descent are a minority, about 1% of the population. Such a small number wouldn't really register in the averages. There's likely far more Cubans of North African/Middle Eastern/West Asian ancestry though I don't know to what degree if any, they would be represented in that graph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas