Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarbonell View Post
I don't hate calling myself Cuban because that my country of origin.

But I do hate the whole Hispanic/Latino label. I try never to call myself Hispanic because I know it means that you must be someone with a certain degree of native american heritage.

I have learned to hate such a label because it doesn't represent my heritage.
Hispanic means that you speak Spanish and/or come from a Spanish speaking country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 07:52 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Hispanic derives from Hispania, which is the Latin (as in the language) name of Spain. This goes back to the times of the Roman Empire, before Jesus Christ was born.

The real meaning of Hispanic is derived from Spain, which is true of every single Spanish American country. All those countries were born out of Spain and, in most of them, most people also have Spanish ancestry mixed in.

Again, Juancarbonell is an example of how the USA messes with people when it comes to 'racial' stuff. In all likelihood (given that he's Cuban), Juancarbonell could very well be of most or totally Spanish ancestry and, thanks to how the USA messes with people regarding this topic, he 'hates' a word that actually defines him to the tee simply because he was made to believe it means something else. SMH

Iberia, Hispania o Espa̱a? РFOMENTEMOS LA CULTURA

http://www.map-of-spain.co.uk/large-map-of-spain.htm

On the other hand, here's another Hispanic from the USA that felt 'dissappointed' with her DNA reality. Has to be seen to be believed! lol

Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You've very few mestizos in the Caribbean (the Spanish Caribbean is full of Black and mixed race people), Southern South America is mostly white, while Northern South America has a heavy Black minority and many people are a mixture of three races (Black, White, and Native). Of course Latin American nations have many non Hispanic European immigrants, Asians, and Arab immigrants.

In short, what you said is a massive stereotype and overgeneralization and is highly inaccurate for much of Latin America.
Even the Spanish Caribbean, the Spanish ancestry tends to predominate in the mixed people. Here's a good example based from a genetic study that happens to include the three Spanish Caribbean countries (Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic). What this study does show is that as time has progressed (the left end of each graph represents 500 years ago and the right end is today, the points inbetween is the time period inbetween the era of Spanish discovery and today) the Spanish Caribbean keeps getting darker (the African genes tend to grow). Dominicans are the darkest of the three on average and yet, even there the Spanish ancestry is greater than either the African or Amerindian, but its very near being half which makes the country a textbook mulatto nation. Puerto Rico and Cuba are much whiter.

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetic...type=printable

As far as the Caribbean portion of South America, it's known for its strong African genetic presence (and also the influence in the culture). However, genetic studies are proving that even there the European ancestry makes up most of the genes.

Colombia's Caribbean region actually has Spanish as the predominant ancestry, however its Pacific region (politically known as Choco) is where African genes dominate and that's the only region in all of Spanish America where that is the case. On a global scale, the only other Spanish-speaking place that is blacker than the Choco region of Colombia probably is Equatorial Guinea, which is the only Spanish-speaking country in Africa.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0164414

I haven't seen any genetic studies on Venezuela yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if its similar to anything seen in the rest of the Spanish Caribbean.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:05 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Obsessive identity politics in the US will be the downfall of a great country.

Personally I've never felt any of these feelings or conflicts. I admire Britain for this and love being British, even English.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:17 AM

Here is a recent genetic study done in Cuba. Again, Spanish ancestry dominates even in eastern Cuba, which is the darkest part of the country.

Cuba: Exploring the History of Admixture and the Genetic Basis of Pigmentation Using Autosomal and Uniparental Markers

Old 06-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Personally I've never felt any of these feelings or conflicts. I admire Britain for this and love being British, even English.
I agree with you completely.

I love the USA. I think this country is one of the greatest to have ever existed and I'm glad I'm able to be a part of it.

BUT, the racial obsession needs to stop. Its the one thing that ruins what otherwise would had been a near perfect country, keeping in mind that we humans are not perfect so its impossible for us to create a perfect anything.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:31 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Nothing happens in a vacuum...the identity politics comes from events rooted in the very foundation of the USA

Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I see that nobody bothered to read (or chose to ignore) an entire thread dedicated genetic supremacy in Mexico. The OP and his responses are bad enough, but the fact that not one Mexican member challenged him is even more telling.

But, but, but this only happens in the US.

Sorry, but I've traveled a good bit in Latin America and those with strong European heritage view themselves as superior to those with more indigenous blood. The more indigenous you are, the harder it is to escape serfdom. Puerto Rico might be the only place I've been where this attitude is muted a bit.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 AM

210 posts, read 200,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I see that nobody bothered to read (or chose to ignore) an entire thread dedicated genetic supremacy in Mexico. The OP and his responses are bad enough, but the fact that not one Mexican member challenged him is even more telling.

But, but, but this only happens in the US.

Sorry, but I've traveled a good bit in Latin America and those with strong European heritage view themselves as superior to those with more indigenous blood. The more indigenous you are, the harder it is to escape serfdom. Puerto Rico might be the only place I've been where this attitude is muted a bit.
Sadly, it's not very surprising knowing it comes from a place where "indio" means profanity

Old 06-04-2017, 10:11 AM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Here is a recent genetic study done in Cuba. Again, Spanish ancestry dominates even in eastern Cuba, which is the darkest part of the country.

Cuba: Exploring the History of Admixture and the Genetic Basis of Pigmentation Using Autosomal and Uniparental Markers

By the way there is a problem with this DNA results. Many people has probably not even realize this. But, there is a lot of Chinese and Japanese heritage in Cuba. So, how come it doesn't show up and instead I see native American. My province of Granma is full of people of Asian heritage, and what do I see Native American heritage. Where are all of the chinese I met in Cuba.

And all of this test are the same. Which has led me to believe they are confusing Asian with Native American due to the perception of others countries that Latin Americans must have native american heritage and not Asian.

I once heard they can't really tell the difference between the two since technically they are the same race. They only quest based on demographics which one you might be.

I wish I could bring this issue to someone, maybe George Lopez.

Last edited by juancarbonell; 06-04-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas