Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:57 AM

345 posts, read 268,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
So if you don't speak about something there is no problem?? In 2009 70% of black Cubans were unemployed. With a record like that of course he didn't speak about race.

This the problem with leftist thinking. If acknowledging skin color is made culturally taboo they think nobody will notice skin color.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.406650a3cf4a

IN Cuba, 90 percent of the people don't work officially, they "invent"
Nobody works for 20 dollars unless you can substract x amount to the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Here is a recent genetic study done in Cuba. Again, Spanish ancestry dominates even in eastern Cuba, which is the darkest part of the country.

Cuba: Exploring the History of Admixture and the Genetic Basis of Pigmentation Using Autosomal and Uniparental Markers

Because in places like the province of Guantanamo, the countryside is white and the center of cities, same happens in Santiago, etc.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Yes, take a wild guess of who Hispanics are? Since it appears that you are not aware, Hispanics are Mestizos for the most part a mixture of American Indian (North, Central or South American) mixed with for the most part with the Spanish. Hence, Hispanic.

You are talking about Mexican migrants in your-their country. The continent, a land mass discovered in 1492 and separated by the isthmus is larger, also colonized by Europeans that are probably larger in number that the few ones left in the US that are not mixed with slavics or comanches.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:38 PM

368 posts, read 453,819 times
Im of Hispanic, Arab, Black, & White ancestries. But more Hispanic than anything and thats the side I mostly grew up with (mulatto Puerto Ricans). Thats the only side I really knew and they are heavily americanised (been here since the 1950s) and more into urban/ghetto culture, and I grew up in predominately black neighborhoods. So it was hard for to identify as Hispanic when I didnt know Spanish, wasnt into Hispanic culture neither was most of my family members. Socioeconomically and culturally I feel more in line with Black Americans. But Appearance wise, in NY I usually get mistaken for Dominican, Arab, or mixed black n white. I have really light skin almost that of a Italian, but with Hispanic/North african/mixed black features, similar to NBA player Deron Williams or rapper French Montana. Feels almost like im too white to be black, but too black to be white, and most Hispanics (and Arabs too) treat as im not one of them because im culturally 'American'. Whites usually lowkey make me feel inferior, many blacks and Hispanics would associate with me but still I get a feeling Im not fully in. Growing up was confusing and frustrating, i ain belong to no "race".

Old 06-05-2017, 08:27 PM

220 posts, read 172,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Im of Hispanic, Arab, Black, & White ancestries. But more Hispanic than anything and thats the side I mostly grew up with (mulatto Puerto Ricans). Thats the only side I really knew and they are heavily americanised (been here since the 1950s) and more into urban/ghetto culture, and I grew up in predominately black neighborhoods. So it was hard for to identify as Hispanic when I didnt know Spanish, wasnt into Hispanic culture neither was most of my family members. Socioeconomically and culturally I feel more in line with Black Americans. But Appearance wise, in NY I usually get mistaken for Dominican, Arab, or mixed black n white. I have really light skin almost that of a Italian, but with Hispanic/North african/mixed black features, similar to NBA player Deron Williams or rapper French Montana. Feels almost like im too white to be black, but too black to be white, and most Hispanics (and Arabs too) treat as im not one of them because im culturally 'American'. Whites usually lowkey make me feel inferior, many blacks and Hispanics would associate with me but still I get a feeling Im not fully in. Growing up was confusing and frustrating, i ain belong to no "race".
I think you belong to all those races you have ancestries with and you ought to feel good about all of them. Most people now days are mixed, even pure Amazonian indians have Asiatic blood, I can not tell their physical difference from that of a Thai or a Phillipino. Whites are also very different from each other. An average Sicilian is very different from an average Swedish. Its a lot more important what's inside of you than your soon to be carcass.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:29 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Although the OP is no longer participating in the thread, and at first he asks about low self-esteem among Latinos, wouldn't it be nice to talk about the interesting aspects of being Latino too?

I consider Latin people extremely interesting. I like to see women having a healthier relationship with beauty and sexuality, physical proximity among people, more developed relationships with the extented family, enormous cultural diversity, collective celebrations that enrich our lives so much. Even the geographic position of our countries which are generally in more beautiful and sunny places, and which are allied of our colorful and rich culture. I love our more frequent hugs and kisses, the more easily made friends, the religious diversity, our mixture. I love much of our music, dance, the most flexible personal barriers.

There are many reasons to love being Latino.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Although the OP is no longer participating in the thread, and at first he asks about low self-esteem among Latinos, wouldn't it be nice to talk about the interesting aspects of being Latino too?

I consider Latin people extremely interesting. I like to see women having a healthier relationship with beauty and sexuality, physical proximity among people, more developed relationships with the extented family, enormous cultural diversity, collective celebrations that enrich our lives so much. Even the geographic position of our countries which are generally in more beautiful and sunny places, and which are allied of our colorful and rich culture. I love our more frequent hugs and kisses, the more easily made friends, the religious diversity, our mixture. I love much of our music, dance, the most flexible personal barriers.

There are many reasons to love being Latino.
I absolutely agree with the above and I'm not Latino. Latin American cultures are so much more fun loving/family loving than North American and non-Mediterranean European cultures. They're probably not the best cultures for economic productivity, but there is a lot to life beyond that.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Economic produtivity itself is not a problem, but political... it's another hostory. It seams that the ecnomic produtivity is never for the advantage of the people, but then we come back to the bad part...

Old 06-06-2017, 12:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
I don't think the solution to being ashamed of being Latino should be to just go the other way and be proud to be Aztec or whatever Meso-American tribe once ruled your country. Most Latino nations are mixed but there are many that have deep European roots such as Brazil, Chile, Uruguay and Argentina. These countries have large European history and ancestors that inhabit the land and have made their mark on the country just as much as the tribes before them.

This anti-European mentality that has swept the world is stupid and racist. Tearing down one empire and glorifying another is just ridiculous.

There are a lot of Latin Americans that are of European ancestry. Mexico for one is very European and Euro-mixed. The OP must be an American because only in the United States would he even think to have this inferiority complex. Most Mexicans that come to the US are mestizo and they have hang ups about being a minority in the US and also because of the racism they might experience from ignorant gringos. But sometimes I think they have NO IDEA how white and European their own mother country is too.

I traveled to Mexico and saw whole neighborhoods of very European looking white people in Monterrey. The suburbs there looked every bit as all-American apple pie as in the States with a large component of European and Euro-Mixed people. They were EXTREMELY proud to be Mexican too. No hangups. They wore their Mexican football jerseys proudly and sang all the songs. What are these people supposed to do? Be embarrassed that they have less indigenous blood than some of the people whining in here? Are they less Mexican? No. In fact I would say that they're more Mexican than any Mexican American that tries to find their identity in a long lost empire because of their insecurities of living in a white majority country like the United States. I also bet that a lot of Mexican Americans have more European ancestry than the native indigenous ancestry and many of them look over half white in my opinion. A lot look like Jessica Alba or Diego Luna or Gael Garcia Bernal. They look only part Native.

I think it just stems from insecurities, yet getting over them doesn't require you to accept the other half of you and exalting it over the other.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:46 PM

210 posts, read 200,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
There are a lot of Latin Americans that are of European ancestry. Mexico for one is very European and Euro-mixed. The OP must be an American because only in the United States would he even think to have this inferiority complex. Most Mexicans that come to the US are mestizo and they have hang ups about being a minority in the US and also because of the racism they might experience from ignorant gringos. But sometimes I think they have NO IDEA how white and European their own mother country is too.
I traveled to Mexico and saw whole neighborhoods of very European looking white people in Monterrey. The suburbs there looked every bit as all-American apple pie as in the States with a large component of European and Euro-Mixed people. They were EXTREMELY proud to be Mexican too. No hangups. They wore their Mexican football jerseys proudly and sang all the songs. What are these people supposed to do? Be embarrassed that they have less indigenous blood than some of the people whining in here? Are they less Mexican? No. In fact I would say that they're more Mexican than any Mexican American that tries to find their identity in a long lost empire because of their insecurities of living in a white majority country like the United States. I also bet that a lot of Mexican Americans have more European ancestry than the native indigenous ancestry and many of them look over half white in my opinion. A lot look like Jessica Alba or Diego Luna or Gael Garcia Bernal. They look only part Native.
I think this perspective is the exact opposite of the "Aztec pride" stance, which is to push for "Europeaness" and to view themselves as 1 or 2 shades lighter than they really are. Provided many Mexicans and Latin Americans have degree some degree of European ancestry that doesn't make them European. Latin American cultures have incorporated elements from European cultures, still their culture is not European. Latin America's culture is sui generis, it is a synthesis of many different things, mostly Indigenous, but also European and African. Most Latin AMerican are neither Indians, nor Europeans, nor Africans they are a kind of their own, with a culture of their own. Nothing comes out of a vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas