Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,566 times

Advertisements

I dunno know about living there but I would give Colombia the edge as the more interesting country. The only place I would say is worth really visiting in Ecuador are the Galapagos Islands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I spent a year travelling around South America and I have to say Bolivia was my favorite place, followed by Equador. They are the two poorest countries, but they can't be beat for pure untainted culture, natural beauty, cheap prices and friendly people. I never felt really worried about my personal safety in either. Can't say that for Peru or Brazil, and I honestly never made it to Colombia, though I heard nothing but horror stories about the place while I was down there. And if you are going for babes, I suggest you learn Portuguese, becase Brazil is where it's at for hot loose women in America de Sur .

Either way, it would be a worthwhile adventure for you and I encourage you to do it! Buenas Suerte y Vaya con Dios.
I also liked Bolivia...but NOT for women, nightlife. Sucked for those two.

I also agree that BRAZIL is #1 by far for those two things - beautiful women, nightlife. Colombia would be #2...and I think I'd place LIMA PERU as #3.

But Brazil pretty much blows everywhere else away in that regard. I alway thought of Colombia as being a close 2nd...only because you have a similar mix of people in Colombia - i.e. the entire range.

Bolivians were heavily indigeneous....which is great for a cultural experience...but NOT for wild drinking and beautiful women.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:28 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,433 times
you are less likely to get killed in ecuador... if that is a factor in your decision making process...

on a recent trip to cartagena (the "safest" city in colombia) i was attacked the first day there and had to go home immediately due the severe injuries i sustained

i have traveled all over the world, including many dangerous countries, and colombia is the only place i have ever had problems

Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
you are less likely to get killed in ecuador... if that is a factor in your decision making process...

on a recent trip to cartagena (the "safest" city in colombia) i was attacked the first day there and had to go home immediately due the severe injuries i sustained

i have traveled all over the world, including many dangerous countries, and colombia is the only place i have ever had problems

Just curious what happened? I was attacked in Venezuela. Another very dicey country.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 AM

342 posts, read 1,926,433 times
I was in Cartagena during the Miss Colombia contest. They were having a big festival outside the convention center. It seemed very safe with lots of people all over the place. Some drunk or drugged out idiot grabbed me from behind and threw me into a busy street and I was hit by a car. He broke several bones in my shoulder. It took over 30 minutes for me to find any police and once I did the police didn't give a damn about what happened.

What happened to you in Venezuela?

It is very unfortunate that Colombia and Venezuela are extremely dangerous countries. They are both beautiful countries with wonderful people.

However there are plenty of beautiful countries with wonderful people that are also extremely safe. So why gamble with your life in Colombia or Venezuela when there are dozens of safe countries that are just as nice or nicer.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:44 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
I dunno know about living there but I would give Colombia the edge as the more interesting country. The only place I would say is worth really visiting in Ecuador are the Galapagos Islands!
Living & visiting Ecuador is much safer than living & visiting Colombia. There are other things to see in Ecuador besides the Galapagos Islands. The capital Quito is quite interesting. Cuenca the 3rd largest city in Ecuador is a very old town with a section of cobblestoned streets and there is a place not far from there with hot mineral baths.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,785 times
I lived in Quito and Cuenca in Ecuador very lovely cities have lots of culture, art and fun I just loved them, Colombia is nice but there's a lot of crime, the cities are kind of dirty, fun to visit but I wouldn't live there I prefer Ecuador 100%

Old 11-24-2011, 02:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
I don't get how people are lame enough to try to choose a country based on how pretty the women are.. give me a break.... It is an entire country for crying out loud.

That being said, both countries would be nice, I have been to Colombia and would not recommend Cali or Barranquilla. Cartagena is not as bad as people make it sound on here, although I was not a big fan of it. It is rather touristy and you are constantly bothered by people trying to sell you things. If you want to go somewhere , I'd go with Medellín, especially if weather is an issue. It is not hot and not cold in Medellín, but be ready for the humidity. Bogotá was an awesome city in my opinion, but it can be gritty, and it is also cold.

Moneywise, you are not going to live like a king on a short stack of money in Colombia. This is South America, not southeast Asia or India. If you want to do that, go to Asia, South America can get rather expensive, although I believe Ecuador is much better for a budget than Colombia.

If you don't speak fluent Spanish, I would not recommend going to Colombia. It is a nice interesting place, with great food and things to do, but it is not that safe.

Don't give papaya.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 PM

578 posts, read 962,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I also liked Bolivia...but NOT for women, nightlife. Sucked for those two.

I also agree that BRAZIL is #1 by far for those two things - beautiful women, nightlife. Colombia would be #2...and I think I'd place LIMA PERU as #3.

But Brazil pretty much blows everywhere else away in that regard. I alway thought of Colombia as being a close 2nd...only because you have a similar mix of people in Colombia - i.e. the entire range.

Bolivians were heavily indigeneous....which is great for a cultural experience...but NOT for wild drinking and beautiful women.
Bolivia has some diversity. There are a lot of black people in Bolivia as well as many whites. There are even some people of Asian descent in Bolivia

Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,885 times
The city with the prettiest women in South America is Machala, Ecuador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas