Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,635 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family currently lives in Pennsylvania and my husband has worked in Anchorage for the past 3 years in a rotational position (Anch. 2 weeks, home 2 weeks) in which he supports the oil and gas industry. He loves Alaska and has met many great people who really enjoy living there. He has been offered a position which would require our family relocating to Alaksa. I'm hoping for some advice regarding which neighborhoods would be best for our family so we can narrow the search when it comes time to find a home. He works downtown and wouldn't mind a small commute (20-30mins.) We have a 9 year old son so education and sports/activities are very important. We also have a 1 year old little girl. I've read that Eagle River is nice, but that's about all I know. I would greatly appreciate any info as to nice family neighborhoods, the best public or private schools (bright kid, a bit unmotivated, no special needs), and any other relevant information. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 PM

45 posts, read 142,341 times
Practically anywhere. Maybe you could give more details on what you are looking for. House, condo, apartment, townhome? How many bedrooms? Rent or own? Lot size? Square footage? What is your price range? Garage?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Eagle River or South Anchorage would probably fit your needs the best.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG74 View Post
Hi. My family currently lives in Pennsylvania and my husband has worked in Anchorage for the past 3 years in a rotational position (Anch. 2 weeks, home 2 weeks) in which he supports the oil and gas industry. He loves Alaska and has met many great people who really enjoy living there. He has been offered a position which would require our family relocating to Alaksa. I'm hoping for some advice regarding which neighborhoods would be best for our family so we can narrow the search when it comes time to find a home. He works downtown and wouldn't mind a small commute (20-30mins.) We have a 9 year old son so education and sports/activities are very important. We also have a 1 year old little girl. I've read that Eagle River is nice, but that's about all I know. I would greatly appreciate any info as to nice family neighborhoods, the best public or private schools (bright kid, a bit unmotivated, no special needs), and any other relevant information. Thanks in advance for your help!
What kind of job does he do that works a field schedule in Anchorage? I would never recommend living in Eagle River to anyone who needs to commute downtown during peak rush hour traffic. Too many idjits on that highway who can't even handle dry roads, let alone inclement weather. If he'll be working 12 hr days, he should miss most of the traffic, but on an urban schedule it's just not worth it IMO. Personally, I would look at South Anchorage.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM

I didn't catch that part. If he's working a normal 8 to 5 schedule I'd skip Eagle River.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,635 times
Thank you so much for your responses.
Linz, we'd be looking for a nice single family home, 4+ bedrooms, 2+car garage, maybe a bit of a backyard.
Moose Whisper, my husband supports Conoco Phillips. He works in town with some of the management guys and travels up to the Slope to work with some of the rig guys. This new position, however, would be more of a 9-5 Anch. job. Is the commute from Eagle River that long or just frustrating due to the "idgits" on the road? :0)

In south Anchorage, are there specific neighborhoods that are more conducive to family living? Does anyone know anything about the best public or private schools? Thanks again for any suggestions!!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Traffic backups especially on the evening commute. If there's an accident forget about it. There is no alternate route.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
now before you give this nice lady some good advice....i will chime in. eagle river is a family friendly community. nice communities and cheaper than south anchorage homes there is a nice shopping center a couple coffee shops and good schools. one of reasons i moved there as i do like anchorage and lived there was the crime rate. in eagle river i have only heard sirens once and thats when a kid across the street got hurt. within minutes 3 cops ambulance fire and emt all arrived. dogs cats nieghbors we all came out a real neighborhood you may also find that in south anchorage. the commute is easily doable to eagle river, in two years I have only had a couple issues coming home. somedays the ditches are full of cars but those are off the road ya know> ? besides the mountains coming into town year round are sometimes to beautiful for words............ok....im done.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 PM

45 posts, read 142,341 times
I still vote for practically anywhere, Anchorage has everything you are looking for in almost every neighborhood. The Anchorage School District is great with over 90 schools and a lot of choices.
Do you have the opportunity to come visit before you officially move?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Traffic backups especially on the evening commute. If there's an accident forget about it. There is no alternate route.
I did not know there was commuting traffic in Anchorage. I guess you can never get away from it wherever you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage