Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our mid 20s and considering the move up there (from the midwest). We don't have any kids yet, but I suppose the plan would be to start once we settle down up there. Nothings in stone of course and we're just brainstorming and gathering facts before (if) we sell our house and start the process of moving.

So my question, is Anchorage a family friendly place - lots of activities for kids, a safe environment, good schools, etc etc? I would love to hear (and show my wife) what the experience of others was like..

We're both in healthcare if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:56 AM

14 posts, read 30,931 times
Talking Very Family Friendly.

I have looked it hundreds of times because I plan on moving there myself. Although I have found out Anchorage is just like any other city. Where there are large populations there is crime. However, the crime rate is low and there are plenty of activities for you and your wife to experience together. on the first friday of every month they have some sort of shopping day. I can't remember exactly what it is. It looks awesome though. If you have the money too, move into a house of your own away from the city. Less people=Less crime. This page is City website if you want to check it out.

http://www.muni.org/pages/default.aspx

Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
There's plenty of health care jobs here...
I'd suggest giving some of the threads in this forum a read. You'll find this topic discussed quite a bit.
If possible, I'd also suggest a visit before moving here. It'll give you an idea of how things are before you make the big commitment.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
Sure, there are lots of things to do here. Tons of parks, and if you look, lots of free or really inexpensive activities especially for the younger kids. I think the schools are pretty decent to really good. None seem to be terrible despite their "reputations".

I have 4 kids and we live in a great neighborhood where the kids run around and play outside all summer and the warmer parts of winter. Friendly neighbors, and safe too.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,566 times
I am new to the forum. I am wanting a different lifestyle than California. I will be a teacher in two years. I would like all possible information in regards to that field. I do not think I would be opposed to teaching in the bush. Thank you for any information you can give mr.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:57 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureteacher2013 View Post
I am new to the forum. I am wanting a different lifestyle than California. I will be a teacher in two years. I would like all possible information in regards to that field. I do not think I would be opposed to teaching in the bush. Thank you for any information you can give mr.
If you want to teach in the bush then rest assured you'll have little to no trouble landing a job. I know the NSB is always looking for teachers and will move you up and house you. I imagine other bush communities would do the same (ask Warpt about Bethel).

Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM

14 posts, read 30,931 times
Default Maybe I should

Change my major if jobs and housing are part of being a teacher. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: