Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I've been reading the North Dakota forum for a few weeks out of curiousity. It's very interesting-the human saga of people leaving everything to go to ND with no experience and live in their cars at Walmart to find work. There is next to no place to stay even with money, but some of the oil companies put people in mancamps when they are working, but not during their time off. Based on what I have read, I do not recommend anyone to just show up there and expect to survive for long.
some area's of PA are experiencing the same thing! people are just showing up with no experience, no place to stay, not equip for the frigid cold....friend who is an admin at a hospital there said stranded people with little kids in hand are showing up desperate for find shelter....arrive believing they'd get work with in a few days..find a hotel/motel...none to be had....desperate times for a lot of folks.
sure hope people think long a hard before doing this anywhere and certainly in AK!...

hey Met did you ever find out what happened to that young couple with the child, who got off the ferry last winter, didn't know there were no taxi's, no place to stay, no jobs and luggage???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 01:19 PM

115 posts, read 165,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
China Town has two menus. All the food I have gotten from them is good, but if you want something more authentic, or a dish you wouldn't ordinarily find in the typical restaurant, order from the Chinese one (don't worry, it has descriptions in English!)

I have only ever had delivery from them, but the people on the phone are always friendly and happy to make suggestions. Just don't be put off if they tell you that something you think sounds good is not ordered often. A couple of my favorite dishes from there are less popular ones.

There are quite a few reviews for this restaurant on Urbanspoon and Yelp. You might find them helpful.

I also can't pass up a chance to say a few nice words about Thai Siam, on Spenard. Wonderful food, and the people will remember you if you are a regular. They know my voice when I call!

Where have you been so far for sushi?
Thanks for the tips!!!
Sushi... so far - Ronnies 2, and delivery from a place in Eagle River (I forget the name) and (embarrassed to admit this) Fred Meyer.

I am hoping to start getting out more next week - I finally have the baby in day care, so I can get some things done. I am an adventurous eater - so I am looking forward to trying some food I haven't run across before.

As long as it isn't goat... I ate enough goat in Ethiopia to last a lifetime! LOL

Old 11-25-2011, 02:14 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
I see lots of people getting sushi from Fred Meyer's or Carr's Safeway-must be good, right? I've actually never tried sushi but I love me some fresh spring rolls. I almost think I could live off of them.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,391 times
I've never tried Ronnies 2. Ronnies on Jewel Lake Road left me unimpressed, it was the first time I have ever not finished a meal of sushi.

My favorite two places so far are Samurai Sushi, on Muldoon, and Haru Sushi, on Dimond.

Carr's and Fred Meyer are not awful, particularly for grocery store fare, but gobrien, if you make this your first time with sushi, you will not get an accurate picture of how good it can be. If it's the raw fish thing holding you back, keep in mind there are many choices that feature only cooked ingredients.

I've never been to Fairbanks, but a place called Wasabi Bay has good reviews on Yelp.

Last edited by LittleJazzyP; 11-25-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,391 times
We've gotten far off track here. I hope Degra will keep us posted about his decision, and let us know when he arrives here safely.

Yeah, I worry about peeps.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Degra - Interested in your decision and what happens if you go. There are some people here that are thinking of making the plunge and trying out AK. Your feedback would be appreciated.

We have seen several people here go, make it, and are happy. Most seemed to have jobs lined up before they went. There has also been at least one go with a job lined up, but it didn't work out, but she had a come back to the lower 48 plan. Although, I think she will try again at some point.

As an avid sushi fan, I agree, you gotta go to a really good sushi restaurant to try it out first - not store bought. I tend to stay away from the REALLY exotic stuff, like sea urchin and puffer fish (the one that if it isn't prepared correctly you die). But the "normal" or everyday american sushi stuff like octopus, salmon, yellow tail, conch, tuna, and eel are a go. California Rolls and Futomaki have no raw fish and are a good first start to the food textures you will encounter... Then try a simple roll, one with a little piece of raw fish surrounded by rice and seaweed before going to the slice of raw fish on a bed of rice. BTW, GOOD sushi grade "raw fish" should not smell or taste fishy. There are all kinds of unique rolls out there, but be careful as some are spicy.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 AM

97 posts, read 147,670 times
Good luck to you Degra if you do decide to go through it! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

As for Sushi up in Fairbanks I can suggest Tokyo Express. Near Safeway/Office Depot. It's a tiny hole in the wall place right next to a tobacco shop and a Subway but it is SO good! It was the first place I had ever tried white tuna. YUM!
Oh and let me just say now that I really miss Taco King. I'd love to have their lengua burrito meal for lunch right about now.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Good luck to you Degra if you do decide to go through it! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

As for Sushi up in Fairbanks I can suggest Tokyo Express. Near Safeway/Office Depot. It's a tiny hole in the wall place right next to a tobacco shop and a Subway but it is SO good! It was the first place I had ever tried white tuna. YUM!
Oh and let me just say now that I really miss Taco King. I'd love to have their lengua burrito meal for lunch right about now.
Taco King?? a chain food place or real restaurant?? an where is it??

Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM

97 posts, read 147,670 times
Old Steese Highway, Fairbanks. Right next to Play it Again Sports.
Its a very small chain. As far as I know they only are in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Oddly enough, you call in your order for delivery and your phone call gets routed to Mexico City. LOL
I haven't had mexican food that good since traveling to Mexico! Here in Maryland all I can find is texmex

Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Old Steese Highway, Fairbanks. Right next to Play it Again Sports.
Its a very small chain. As far as I know they only are in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Oddly enough, you call in your order for delivery and your phone call gets routed to Mexico City. LOL
I haven't had mexican food that good since traveling to Mexico! Here in Maryland all I can find is texmex
whoaaaa....routed to Mexico City!!! hahhaaa...this place goes into my "food notebook" that I carry with me when traveling!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage