Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM

32 posts, read 60,199 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are returning to Anchorage after a 20 year absence. To say we got off on the wrong foot is an understatement. (I will skip the details) We know fairly well what we want, where to look (in a general sense) and have our price limits. All we need is a real estate agent who is business savy, honest, and wants to make us happy (sometimes we think that the commission is skewing what realtors show). Does anyone have an opinion regarding large vs. smaller real estate companies in Anchorage and their level of service? Has anything profoundly changed in Anchorage housing in the last 20 years? I would be willing to come up and scour the city for a home, but so far we have not found an agent that will give us 100% effort.(I should have read the signs when we found a house to check out on a hill and the former agent showed up in high heels and couldn't get down the driveway). Any critique on housing costs and how it is trending in Anchorage are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 03:57 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,893 times
Have you tried looking online yet. It is not clear from your post what you are looking for though? Have you looked on the MLS, I am pretty sure anyone can go on there an browse listings.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,256 times
We did a ton of our own research with the MLS site: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Statewide MLS system - Homes, Land, Commercial, Businesses , then contacted a Realtor. We've got a great one, but she's in the Valley.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM

836 posts, read 1,779,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Have you tried looking online yet. It is not clear from your post what you are looking for though? Have you looked on the MLS, I am pretty sure anyone can go on there an browse listings.
I think I got the feeling (as I was looking for the same thing not too long ago): they CAN and DO search themselves, they have a good idea of what to look for and how much... yet, the agent is still needed to do the negotiations, paperwork, etc. And this is where the problem starts! Because 1) it is harder then just getting someone/anyone online (if you really want a professional)and 2) they are all excellent when you first meet them. Problems don't show until much, much later... when, sometimes, it is too hard or impossible to switch.

So, good luck on your search! Sorry I can't suggest anybody. Please, do update about your experience and who you decide to go with!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Thank you for the above recommendation. We want a small house (less than 2700 square feet) that needs work, with a view (it doesn't have to be panoramic, just not the neighbors hot tub), preferrably in Oceanview or Rabbit Creek. I think the right realtor would be valuable if they know where the views are. We don't need new, or massive (found lots of houses up on Hillside over 4000 sq. ft.). It is reassuring to hear others say that they have experienced 'agent remorse' also. I will continue to search MLS/websites. Thanks again.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,640,000 times
Speak with Frank.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjacket View Post
speak with frank.
ftw

Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 AM

836 posts, read 1,779,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearlessfemme View Post
... I am working with her now... though I won't probably buy until the spring...
a lot could be said about an agent AFTER an actual sale went through, and how he/she handled it

Old 12-13-2011, 05:12 AM

Again, thank you for some possibilities to explore. I agree, after the sale is important. We have moved from various states and perhaps our happiest memories were of our 'first' home in Alaska. We had almost no money and had a realtor who loved a challenge (she passed away or I would still use her). Now we can afford a home, but still hold to our 'fixer upper' mentality and want to find someone who really enjoys the search, and has the business sense.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM

275 posts, read 580,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpinCA View Post
Now we can afford a home, but still hold to our 'fixer upper' mentality and want to find someone who really enjoys the search, and has the business sense.
Wanting an agent who "enjoys the search" could possibly be misconstrued to a real estate agent as someone who isn't really that committed to buying, especially if you are not in the local area.

When my wife and I moving back last year, we had similar issues. It wasn't until we ended up getting a pre-approval letter from our lender that anyone really took us seriously. I'm not saying the practice is right or wrong, just stating what our experience was. Loan Preapproval - The Advantages of Loan Preapproval

As others have suggested, spend some time looking through the MLS.

If you were moving out to the valley instead of Anchorage, I'd recommend Devon Thomas.

Last edited by Rance; 12-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Forward links in a DM please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: