Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 AM

27 posts, read 72,214 times

Advertisements

LOL- MSHA- The mine safety and health administration. Don't have a lot of mining unfortunately and they get so picky. Hopefully if I'm already there I can pick up work, particularly training.

Virgin Islands- what a change that will be! This may all be a pipe dream for us. This house we do love here may become a big hindrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstack81 View Post
Helloooo! So we (my husband and I) plus our 9 and 3 yr old want to move there early June. Anybody have suggestions on the best way to drive this? We have a 2003 Jeep and want to pull a smal uhaul trailer. Yes, drive all about what...4,000 miles
Relocating to Alaska and driving up has been discussed often on this forum. I'd recommend giving those threads a thorough read.
For the drive I highly recommend having a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion it's the essential guide to the drive.

I would NOT recommend coming up if you do not have a job lined up and plenty of cash on hand. Living cost in Alaska is 10% to 30% higher, unless you move to the bush areas where it can be much more than that.

I would also recommend a visit to Alaska first to see what you are getting into.

What area are you moving to?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
What kind of Jeep? Don't where you are moving from, but make sure it can handle the trailer and mountains...

I did the drive last June and it was GREAT - I drove 13,500 miles to and from - but I couldn't live too much further away and still be in the continental united states. Plus I did a lot of side trips. I took the Taylor (top of the world highway) up and the Alaska Highway all the way back. I plan to drive the Cassiar at one point. The Taylor (and probably the Cassiar) are routes to take when you don't have the trailer. Not that they can't be done with one - just a little more remote, a steep and more switchbacks. The Taylor last year when I drove it was mostly mud and chip seal - It took several hours to demud once I got into Tok. And that was when the electrical gremlins in the truck showed up...

Make sure you gas up when you stop. If you not familiar with the Northern Mid-West States, you can go for miles and miles without gas stations as well as rural Canada. Try not to let the tank get below 1/2. Especially when towing - Jeeps and anything in general that is towing a trailer are not known setups for getting good gas mileage. So if you notice a 150 mile range, might make sense to pick up a couple of 5-gal cans and keep them filled up, just in case. Gas in Canada is expensive - Alberta has the cheapest Canadian fuel - Yukon Territories the most $$ for your trip, know what you can and cannot bring across Canada and what you need for pets.

Check your cell phone company for use in Canada, when you actually have service - which isn't all that great once you leave Grand Prairie.

You will have a blast, the scenery is UNBELIEVABLE. Ohh, I know this has been mentioned already too, but bring your own toilet paper and be prepared to use outhouses (or the woods).

Last edited by Dakster; 01-14-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM

My Jeep is getting towed behind the moving truck. I drove that thing to Daytona and back and decided- she's for off roading and bad weather only! LOL.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM

We'll be visiting Anchorage- Kenai- Mat-Su Feb 27 - March 7 or 8. What would be the best non touristy places activities for a family with young (13 and 10) outdoorsy boys?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbpsc View Post
We'll be visiting Anchorage- Kenai- Mat-Su Feb 27 - March 7 or 8. What would be the best non touristy places activities for a family with young (13 and 10) outdoorsy boys?
Iditarod - Last Great Race on Earth®

Anchorage, Alaska, Fur Rondy, Anchorage Fur Rendezvous Festival

Alaska Vacations, Restaurants & Accommodation | Alyeska Resort

Matanuska-Susitna Borough Project: Hatcher Pass

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear... This will still be during winter. Most of the touristy stuff is in the summer. I'm guessing you'll be renting a car. I would suggest getting a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner to guide you in your driving.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM

941 posts, read 1,916,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Plenty of wooded areas in the Hillside area of Anchorage.
I agree with others. You def need to visit and get a feel of Anchorage. Anchorage is not a typical sub city it is very diverse and spread out. I love that Anchorage is very easy to navigate around. Once I went on outskirts there seem to be wooded homes with space, although seem more pricey. Simply by flying over you can see is not a congested city of it's population size. I love Anchorage, my only beef is I don't think has a attractive and busy downtown.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Thank you for the input. If either of my boys were able to successfully hunt or fish while are there- I won't get them onto the plane home!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the input. If either of my boys were able to successfully hunt or fish while are there- I won't get them onto the plane home!
No hunting that time of year... But you could do some ice fishing. Just remember to get a license and do it legally...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage