Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Anchorage Friendly?
Surprisingly Unfriendly - more so than other places I have lived 9 18.37%
Seems To Be Getting Unfriendlier 7 14.29%
Neutral 17 34.69%
Really Friendly - more so than other places I have lived 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttonhead View Post
For me, I've found it fairly unfriendly. For example, if you walk on the Coastal Trail, 7 out of 10 people will not look you in the eye/smile/say hello. Another example, in the last neighborhood i lived in people simply didnt want to know their neighbors. I find this somewhat bizarre behavior. But maybe I am too friendly or something.

I've met some great folks, but the overall vibe seems unneighborly and unfriendly.
That statement is so TRUE. I walk out there 3x a week in the winter and 5x a week in the summer. Everyone I pass someone I say hello to. Most won't even acknowledge you or look at you. The ones that will are either new military folks or summer tourists.

I met one couple from Texas last summer that really wanted to see a moose. Said that they had been hiking and looking for about 2 hours. I'd just seen a bull so I took them back and there he was. The lady was just ecstatic. Said that made her trip. Usually if I see people in the summer carrying cameras out there they are looking for moose. If I've seen them I'll tell or show them where. If not I'll let them know where to look.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Is this a city-wide phenom, or something that might be area? I'm another Texan who'd like to see some moose *before* they're up on my hide stretcher, and have been wanting to visit. Is it less friendly than other mid-sized cities, or just by comparison to more pro-community small towns nearby?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Muttonhead summed it the best thus far. I have lived here for 37 years and in that time things have changed DRAMATICALY. What once was a friendly and outgoing place has become narcissistic and rude.

Many years ago a vehicle problem that leaves one on the side of the road would have prompted more offers assistance than any could ask for, these days it is a rarity if it happens at all. In a place with such inhospitable and dangerous a climate as we have, it can mean life or death, though instances of death due to exposure as a result of getting stranded in such a way is rare, it is a real possibility. Cell phone coverage, even along the road system is unreliable at best due to the mountainous terrain that is prevalent, relying on such a device is a poor choice.

Customer service in "insert profession/industry/service" is generaly crap.

Freindly random conversation with a stranger while waiting in line is more often than not, shunned.

Holding a door for someone is rarely rewarded with a "thank you".

Having a door held for you, even more rare.

The list can go on...

During my visits to other states on occaision, I am reminded and even shocked at times, by how much more friendly people are in places like Oregon or Washington.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,784 times
Seems to me people are fine. I have not had any problems with people.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM

96 posts, read 221,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
That statement is so TRUE. I walk out there 3x a week in the winter and 5x a week in the summer. Everyone I pass someone I say hello to. Most won't even acknowledge you or look at you. The ones that will are either new military folks or summer tourists.

I met one couple from Texas last summer that really wanted to see a moose. Said that they had been hiking and looking for about 2 hours. I'd just seen a bull so I took them back and there he was. The lady was just ecstatic. Said that made her trip. Usually if I see people in the summer carrying cameras out there they are looking for moose. If I've seen them I'll tell or show them where. If not I'll let them know where to look.

Yep, I wonder what's in the water that makes people like this. Honestly it's bizarre. I also find this the case skiing at Kincaid, though not quite as much. Common courtesy seems to be completely lacking when it comes to stranger to stranger contact. Am looking forward to moving to a more human-friendly part of the state in a couple of years. I miss living in a small town.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Is this a city-wide phenom, or something that might be area? I'm another Texan who'd like to see some moose *before* they're up on my hide stretcher, and have been wanting to visit. Is it less friendly than other mid-sized cities, or just by comparison to more pro-community small towns nearby?
I can't compare it to other cities of this size, as I haven't lived in any (but have lived in larger and smaller). I find the unfriendliness to be exhibited in public. However, going to businesses and such, people are generally really nice.

I grew up in the midwest and the south though so I am likely quite biased.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttonhead View Post
Am looking forward to moving to a more human-friendly part of the state in a couple of years.
What area of the state do you consider to be friendlier?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
What area of the state do you consider to be friendlier?
Everywhere though I've never been to SE. I really like the interior.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
I don't notice it being unfriendly when I visit, though I may be biased because of the places I chose to go while I'm there. It's definitely not like out here, but then I don't expect it to be, either. People in Fairbanks seem more open than in Anchorage, though they may have a higher percentage of oddballs up there.

It just seems more urbanized, with the changes that tend to come along with that, including assuming that someone else will help the stranded motorist or whoever. I do think it's friendlier than larger cities I've lived in or near (Fort Worth, Dallas, Tampa). People I talk to in retail or customer service type jobs are usually pretty friendly, beyond what's necessary for their jobs. Customer service can be slow (especially in restaurants), but is very rarely rude.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I've never had a problem with Anchorage residents not being appropriately friendly and welcoming.

Pfffft. Maybe the people who are walking on the coast trail need some flippin' peace and quiet and don't feel like socializing with a passel of idjits. Hell, they're probably out there trying to get away from their families and don't feel like walking around with silly smiles glued to their faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage