Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times

Advertisements

I'm a transplant to AK - took a long time and planning to be able to get up here. So you may take my comment as a scoff - it is the hard reality. It is what I found to be true and what Met says is spot on to my experience as well.

If you have the skills you say you do and get on at the entry level or potentially a little higher up because of it - I doubt it will be long before you climb up to a level you are looking to be at. (I have no reason to doubt you - but I am also not a crabbing captain either) Like everything else I have discovered in AK so far, it's WAY different here than anywhere else. I would bet you would make contacts and that the boats out there need skilled people that will show up every day to work. At least those are the things I hear often.

Met has experience in this area, so I would take her words of wisdom to heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 08:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Making money on a commercial crab boat means getting on the right boat these days. Everything's on a quota system anymore, and each boat gets its own quota -- but captains can buy or sell quotas or parts of quotas among themselves.You'd want to get on a high quota boat but not so high that people are too overworked. They've got 3 months to reach their quotas instead of being subject to designated openings, most of which used to be called by F&G at the last minute. Guys aren't going out on rough seas to meet a short time frame so much, and crabbing has gotten a lot safer.

I think getting on a boat was easier before the quota system because guys were falling off the boats and getting themselves killed pretty frequently then, or at least injured or sick. Not so much turnover now.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:24 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Thanks guys. I'm definitely not going to do it this coming year because I'll be setting into a new place but I'll probably try to go up the year after and look around. It would be a cool experience.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:25 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm definitely not going to do it this coming year because I'll be setting into a new place but I'll probably try to go up the year after and look around. It would be a cool experience.
I can agree with that 100%... Good luck. I wish when I was younger I knew about some of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage