Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:33 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times

Advertisements

Heck we can't even build a bridge to somewhere. I don't see us building large cities with nothing to support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:21 AM

962 posts, read 631,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Heck we can't even build a bridge to somewhere. I don't see us building large cities with nothing to support them.
If there are MANY big cities and urban areas around the world, and also quite a few of them in the US, what makes an urban metropolis negative in Alaska? No one seemed to have issues with New York or Los Angeles or Chicago or Denver being built as major urban cities, so what is the difference of an urban experience in Alaska compared to other urban areas? A city is a city, the only things that make one city different from another is the economy, its own pros and cons, and city/state ordinances, education, crime, and cost of living. Anyway, there should be a metropolis for those who like snow for almost 7 1/2 months out of the year.

Some people actually leave Alaska because of not much being provided there, as I said in an earlier post of this thread. I mean, rural towns far apart from each other, without much to do, half of them require things to be flown there without a road, and prices are higher because of that. I also think I said there isn't much in the way of education there.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:39 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
That's real interesting and all, but I think most of the people who actually live here are pretty against that happening.
I KNOW they are!

Old 09-15-2015, 10:57 PM

83 posts, read 90,900 times
I left because they forced me out, they said that they'd kill me if I didn't leave.

I miss alaska. ..I was born and raised there and ill be buried there.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 PM

82 posts, read 70,779 times
I once planned on moving to Alaska but with all I've read and watched on TV about all the misfits , druggies and rampant crime I changed my mind.
Anyone watch Justice TV and Alaska Troopers, scary.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:34 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
If you believe reality TV and get frightened about it, probably Alaska wouldn't be a good fit for you, no.

(Well, frightened about anything other than the fact that that crap gets on TV and people eat it up.)

Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieloo View Post
I once planned on moving to Alaska but with all I've read and watched on TV about all the misfits , druggies and rampant crime I changed my mind.
Anyone watch Justice TV and Alaska Troopers, scary.
It wasn't that way until meth and now heroin, but it's getting worse.

Check out facebook and search the "stop valley thieves" group.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
There are about 15 million people I wish would move into Alaska and stay as regular residents, so I can put up big cities there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
That's real interesting and all, but I think most of the people who actually live here are pretty against that happening.
Quote:
If there are MANY big cities and urban areas around the world, and also quite a few of them in the US, what makes an urban metropolis negative in Alaska? No one seemed to have issues with New York or Los Angeles or Chicago or Denver being built as major urban cities, so what is the difference of an urban experience in Alaska compared to other urban areas? A city is a city, the only things that make one city different from another is the economy, its own pros and cons, and city/state ordinances, education, crime, and cost of living. Anyway, there should be a metropolis for those who like snow for almost 7 1/2 months out of the year.

Some people actually leave Alaska because of not much being provided there, as I said in an earlier post of this thread. I mean, rural towns far apart from each other, without much to do, half of them require things to be flown there without a road, and prices are higher because of that. I also think I said there isn't much in the way of education there.
Correct me if I'm wrong, 57, but you've never been to Alaska anymore than you've ever been to California. The only travel you've ever done in your young life is on your computer.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 PM

962 posts, read 631,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, 57, but you've never been to Alaska anymore than you've ever been to California. The only travel you've ever done in your young life is on your computer.
I have some family that lives in California.

I knew a couple of teachers with family in Alaska all through high school, and one person who passed through Anchorage before.

I'm not that young, because I'm no longer an underage minor.

I feel like I'm not allowed to post in any state forum without people judging me and starting flame wars and personal attacks directed at me based on the fact I don't live there. I post in a handful of state forums that I have an interest in. I post here because I have a major attraction to Alaska and its weather, so I also want to live in a place where it's cold and snowy for 7+ months of the year, and at the same time, in an urban metropolis like that but Alaska has not one big city in it. I post in California because its strict and challenging standards of living is also interesting to me. And I like Colorado's school system so I post there sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petester View Post
I left because they forced me out, they said that they'd kill me if I didn't leave.

I miss alaska. ..I was born and raised there and ill be buried there.
Who said this? Was it some citizen that told you this? No state government would ever tell someone they aren't allowed to live in a state as far as I'm concerned.

If a citizen in a town there said this to you based on some issue (most likely, some kind of discrimination), I would report it as such, because it's illegal to discriminate someone based on things like race or gender, and tell someone they can't work there/live there/go to school there, at least on public property.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 09-16-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 06:56 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:

I feel like I'm not allowed to post in any state forum without people judging me and starting flame wars and personal attacks directed at me based on the fact I don't live there. I post in a handful of state forums that I have an interest in.
But you post and argue as if you know things from experience but it's really just a hacky cut and paste job. It's disingenuous and, frankly, you come off looking like an idiot to anyone who knows anything (for REAL) about the places you post about. Your naivete is immediately evident.

You're 18, never lived outside your home, you simply can't provide specific info to someone that that person can't get online themselves anyway. People who most sincere questions here deserve to get feedback from people with real experience.

Are you making any plans to visit these places you're infatuated with? If not, why? Or are you posting obsessively to "let's count to 1000" threads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage