Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,443 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Anchorage at the end of the summer from the lower 48. I plan on driving the AlCan. How is the best way to get my hunting rifles and handgun up there? I think I remember hearing Canada will not let you bring them through even if they are locked up and unloaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Default Gun store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Manager View Post
I am moving to Anchorage at the end of the summer from the lower 48. I plan on driving the AlCan. How is the best way to get my hunting rifles and handgun up there? I think I remember hearing Canada will not let you bring them through even if they are locked up and unloaded.
You will need to go to a gun store where you currently live and have them ship the guns up here to a gun store. Find a gun store here in Alaska close to where you will be moving. This is how my husband shipped his.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT need to take them to a gun store. That's just plain stupid. You can ship firearms as "air freight" on most of the major airlines. You'll need to go to their web site to find out the details. I ship mine on Alaska Airlines and usually do that in Seattle at their air freight office.

You own the firearms. You are shipping them to your self. You do not need the services of an FFL to do that.

Link to Alaska Airlines FAQ on firearm shipments.
Answer

Old 04-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Scuse me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT need to take them to a gun store. That's just plain stupid. You can ship firearms as "air freight" on most of the major airlines. You'll need to go to their web site to find out the details. I ship mine on Alaska Airlines and usually do that in Seattle at their air freight office.

You own the firearms. You are shipping them to your self. You do not need the services of an FFL to do that.

Link to Alaska Airlines FAQ on firearm shipments.
Answer
My husband DROVE up to Alaska, thus that is why he shipped his guns via a gun store. It was fast, easy and not all that expensive so you see, no, it was not stupid! We have shipped things via air freight in the past only to have them end up in another State, especially with Amateur Airlines also known as AK. Airlines.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 04-26-2008 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 04-26-2008, 05:58 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
My husband DROVE up to Alaska, thus that is why he shipped his guns via a gun store. It was fast, easy and not all that expensive so you see, no, it was not stupid!
Did he have to pay transfer fees on either end?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Did he have to pay transfer fees on either end?
There was a fee but I cannot remember the amount. He found it very convenient to go to a gun store in the area he was leaving and let them handle it. Once he got settled up here he went to a gun store in Anchorage (I believe it was across from Sears Mall in Midtown Anchorage) to pick them up.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:27 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
Maybe you can UPS them to your self? Just an idea. I have herd of people shipping them inside other personal containers to themselves also. Just not declare as guns but houshold or etc.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
You can ship stuff via air freight on ALASKA AIRLINES, even if you are DRIVING. DUH! It still makes no sense to ship them via a firearms dealer. You have to pay the dealers fee on both ends in addition to the shipping charges. From a legal standpoint there is absolutely NO valid reason to use an FFL.

UPS and FedEx will ship "some" firearms. But not all of them. They can get very picky about what is allowed. The most economical and efficient way to ship them to yourself is via air freight.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Well, one thing for certain: you can't take handguns through Canada. You should be able to travel with shotguns and rifles after buying a permit. It used to cost around $50.00 when the US Dollar was higher. You must contact US and Canadian customs to find out which rifles are considered legal in Canada, since their laws differ from the US's in relation to assault and military weapons.

Now, you can ship your firearms to yourself. The only problem I can see is that you need your other address where you are shipping the firearms to, and if the address is in a military installation, it may not be possible. Maybe take the rifles and shotguns with you, and ship the handguns from dealer to dealer?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The most economical and efficient way to ship them to yourself is via air freight.
I'd rather pay the fees & have the convenience of letting someone else take care of it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage