Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,238 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm 21 and currently living in Boise ID. Was laid off in February and have been trying with no luck to get a job since. Pretty much have nothing left money wise to my name. Recently I was offered a chance by a friend of mine to move up an stay with them in Anchorage Alaska and attempt to get a job an settle in up there. Only one year of college under my belt.
I was wondering if I might be able to get some info from people that live there or at least in Alaska. I have a few questions that come to mind and if I can get some answers I would be very thankful.
1. What does it take minimum to support a single person up there on average?
2. Whats housing/Apartment pricing looking like and availability?
3. Starting from pretty much nothing about how hard would it be for one to get settled in?
4. Whats public transport like up there?
5. How are store prices?
6. How is the job market looking?
These are just some questions that come to mind right now, but if you might have some info to put up that I haven't asked that you think might help me I would much appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to and info I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,170,327 times
average cost of apartments in Anchorage?

Anchorage Grocery Prices

Multiple questions

Possibly moving to Alaska...Help?

There you go....

Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 AM

4 posts, read 8,238 times
Default thanks

Thanks that kinda answered a few questions.

Few more questions that came up.

1. Car prices?
2. Good Areas/Neighborhoods to live in but still find relatively a cheap like $700-$1300ish a month?
3. Good places to meet people?
4. What does it cost on average to get a mover for furniture etc etc or is it cheaper to rent a truck and move everything yourself?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,386,309 times
You need to have a car or truck...public transportation is almost non-existent. It's also more expensive up here because most things are shipped. Make sure you have a job before you come.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,708,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrial View Post
Thanks that kinda answered a few questions.

Few more questions that came up.

4. What does it cost on average to get a mover for furniture etc etc or is it cheaper to rent a truck and move everything yourself?
Honestly, if you've been out of work that long you'd be better off selling the stuff and moving with just the bare essentials. Plenty of used stuff up here to eventually replace the used stuff you left behind.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 PM

28 posts, read 92,087 times
Hi

I will be moving up to Alaska in under two weeks from Nevada. I was offered a job with Anchorage school district. I spent countless hours looking at moving companies, PODS, and trucks in the last week. The cost that it takes to move up my stuff is high between $2600-$6,000. I am planning on taking my car and load it up as much as I can. Hope on a ferry for the first half and drive the last half. Ferry for my car, myself, dad, and cabin is around $1100 (alot cheaper). I am taking just what I need and anything I will need for my new classroom. I figure that whatever I will need, I will get up there once I am settled into an apartment. It is time for new stuff anyways. My dad is coming with me to help with the driving.

Eventhough I have a job, I am coming up prepared financially. I will be starting from scratch but I decided to follow my dream and move to Alaska.

Anyone::: I am concern about being able to find an apartment that I can immediately move into. Should I be concern? Could I find an apartment and move in within a couple days after arriving in Anchorage.

Thanks
Jennifer

Old 07-18-2009, 11:20 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
Have you checked on Craigslist Alaska or at Alaska News, Jobs and Advertising from the Anchorage Daily News | Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley, Kenai Peninsula

Old 07-18-2009, 04:23 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,170,327 times
Apartments.com - Search Results

Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 PM

31 posts, read 85,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrial View Post
Hi. I'm 21 and currently living in Boise ID. Was laid off in February and have been trying with no luck to get a job since. Pretty much have nothing left money wise to my name. Recently I was offered a chance by a friend of mine to move up an stay with them in Anchorage Alaska and attempt to get a job an settle in up there. Only one year of college under my belt.
I was wondering if I might be able to get some info from people that live there or at least in Alaska. I have a few questions that come to mind and if I can get some answers I would be very thankful.
1. What does it take minimum to support a single person up there on average?
2. Whats housing/Apartment pricing looking like and availability?
3. Starting from pretty much nothing about how hard would it be for one to get settled in?
4. Whats public transport like up there?
5. How are store prices?
6. How is the job market looking?
These are just some questions that come to mind right now, but if you might have some info to put up that I haven't asked that you think might help me I would much appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to and info I can get.
Stay in the lower 48... The rent is HIGH..unless you have a great job forget it! at least $1000-1800 a month for rent in a decent area.
public transport is fine if you live in Anchorage otherwise it's not.
Food prices are high, and gas prices are too especially in the winter time...OUCH!!! summer is a little better for gas and some for food but not much.
job market...depends what you are looking for...

weather here stinks except May-Aug

Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,720,520 times
I think that moving to Alaska takes an adventurist soul, you either have it or you dont. Nothing said on here will matter once you have moved here.
Are you willing to risk it all? If not, say home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage