Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 AM

10 posts, read 14,614 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking at making the move from Texas up to Anchorage come next summer. We are both teachers and in the hiring process. I have a pre-screening interview next week.

We have a trip set for December to check things out and see if she can actually handle the cold weather.

I guess my question is, what is the rental housing market look like in the area? We would just need something small and reasonable, would we be better off just looking for an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I take it you have a phone pre-screening interview. Often a question is asked regarding teaching philosophy, just as a heads-up.

I too am a teacher who came up from New Mexico in '99. We found it good to rent an apartment first to get a sense of the town. We are so glad we did, since we were able to take our time, check out areas & finally found the perfect house in the perfect location for our needs.

It was also helpful to take the 2 required courses for Alaska teaching certificates, Alaska History and Alaska Native Cultures, online through UAA. That way I was able to do all the paperwork for my Alaska teaching certificate ahead of time and come up here for individual school interviews with my AK certificate in hand. Then when I started working I didn't have to be bothering with the certification process while learning a new school, curriculum, program, etc.

In what areas are you & your husband's teaching endorsements? Are either of you fluent Spanish speakers?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 AM

I am secondary math 6-12 or k-12 PE, and my fiance is k-4 generalist. She is ESL certified. Yes the interview is a phone interview. I am hoping to drive around town a bit when we get up there to check out the different area's.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
I suspect the cost of living here will be much higher then in TX but I also think the wages for teachers is higher.

Good Luck! DO you know which schools you are applying for? There are some excellent charter schools here!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 PM

So far we have only applied to ASD.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Take a look at Craigslist.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 PM

376 posts, read 832,099 times
I just moved up here from Colorado. I used various methods to look for housing. I did look on the Anchorage Daily News website and Craigslist. I was hesitant at first about using Craigslist because I had heard of some scams, but did talk to some very honest people here in Anchorage. After driving on the Denver freeways, getting around in Achorage is not bad at all. I lived in Ft. Worth many years ago, plus visited there a few times because of some trainings I had to attend. I believe the heat and humidity was not a good combination there. I would definitely prefer Anchorage over Texas! Just to let you know, that used Expedia.com to find a hotel that was really reasonable for 5 nights till my house was ready for me to take possession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage