Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,770 times

Advertisements

I have a job interview in Anchorage coming up in January. the job pays approx. $45,000 to start. I'm really looking foward to the prospect of relocating from the Chicago area to AK and I've been doing a lot of research and crunching all the numbers however would still like residents opinion. Is this a decent salary for a single person to live fairly comfortably on up there?
Also I have been looking on all the websites I could find for housing. I have 2 large dogs (55lbs and 80lbs) that will definetely be making the move with me. Is there anywhere anyone would suggest would be a good area to look in (or a website I should look at)? If I get the job it would be located near the middle of the city. I have checked the crime stats reports and know not to look in the mt. view area, etc.
I have also checked the cost of living index, grocery prices, etc. and they don't seem too outrageous compared to Chicago (especially when you figure in <10% sales tax) but are there any "hidden" costs to take into account? (outrageous vehicle city sticker prices, etc.)
Any info anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have as much info as possible before making this kind of move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
It'll be harder to find a place with the dogs.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...on-thread.html

Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
$45,000 is a good income for a single person.

I would look on craigslist and local real estate books. Since you have two big dogs, it will be easier renting from an individual rather than a management group. You can assure the owner your dogs are well behaved and have them meet your dogs etc. A management group will follow their rules/policies and usually will never make exceptions when it comes to pets and size limits.

Rabbit Creek is my favorite residential area of Anchorage.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
The dogs will make it much more difficult to find a rental. Jonotastic is correct in saying your best bet is individual landlords. You will find these on craigslist.

Anchorage is Anchorage. In my opinion, just start from your workplace and work outward from there. Look at the micro-neighborhood.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Due to no sales tax and no state income tax it's an immediate savings. If you shop the larger stores Costco etc you can save $. There are no "hidden" taxes adn if you buy out of stay over the web there is no sales tax as well. Apartments are expensive that's why an individual landlord is a good idea. Gasoline is expensive right now about $3.24 for regular unleaded so a good reason to live in town. Plan on a budget to help winterize your car and get studded tires if you don't have them so some people get tires without them Blizzaks etc and swear by them. Enstar the local gas company is "reducing rates" this month by 17% according to them. Electricity and Gas are about the same in town but some may disagree with my take on that subject. Clearwire for internet is about 29 bucks per month. GCI cable and TV is pricey around $50 per month and UP if you add any features. good luck with your interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage