Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 PM

76 posts, read 153,342 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the answers so far. It looks like we might just drive all the way ( Army makes it look that way so far ), so we are buying a milepost and my hubby already planned on bringing his survival gear in case we get stranded :-) We have insurance with 24 hour road side assistance ( also in Canada ), so that will help, too, in case sth happens. I have a question about our cars though. I have been reading through the threads, but I can't seem to find an answer: My husband has a Dodge Ram, he actually traded in his Mustang for it just because of the move, since we would like to live in Palmer or Wasilla rather than Anchorage. He is planning on putting on all season tires, get it winterized up there and call it a day. Is that going to be good enough for such a long commute in the winter? I on the other hand drive a little Dodge Neon and was told I would be ok with studded tires. is that accurate? We both have some experience driving in snow, but not that much snow and not such a great cold :-) Also how much will it cost us to get both cars winterized? We are saving up money for the move obviously, but I am afraid it won't be enough once we get there, especially taking into account the money needed for security deposits and hooking up cable, internet, phone, etc. should we just get them winterized in WA? Is that cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
The truck and the car should do fine the in the winter. He might want to throw some weight in the back of the truck for better traction.

For newer cars, all you really need to do to "winterize" them is have a block heater installed and make sure the radiator fluid is good to 40 below. Oh, and an oil change with 5W-30. If you are parking in a garage, a block heater wouldn't even be necessary... Full Disclosure: I'm not very mechanical, but that's about the extent of my winterizing efforts. My truck has survived 12 winters with no problems.

As you've probably learned from the forums; as you get further through Canada, gas becomes less and less available. Fill up when possible.

Have a great trip!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 PM

376 posts, read 832,219 times
I chose to have a heater block and winterize my pickup before moving here from Colorado, since it was mid October when I did. I had to have my pickup shipped because of my time frame, so I wanted it ready by the time it got here, plus not knowing what kind of weather conditions there would be during the shipment and upon arrival. I bought my studded tires after I got here at a reasonable price, but of course they aren't the top of the line!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM

45 posts, read 142,341 times
I took a similar route to your trip about 10 months ago. It took from August 24th to September 1st.
I drove from Southern California to Seattle(stoped for 2 days to visit family) then Bellingham where I took my 2 cats onto the ferry. Got off in Haines, drove to Tok stayed in roadside motel($90 and I didn't have a reservation beforehand) and then drove to Anchorage.
It was a wonderful trip, very easy, a lot of fun, met a lot of new friends(over half the people on the ferry are also moving to AK-many are military. You'll be in good company) and I got some amazing photos.
I brought some snacks(water, granola bars, apples) but also got food on the ferry. They have a wide price range.

Your cars will be fine, I wouldn't do anything to them until you move. And if you live in a place with a garage, there's nothing you need to do anyway. Well, studded tires, but that's no big deal and you can't put them on until about October anyway.

As far as driving from Palmer or Wasilla to base, well that's up to you. Some people are fine with the commute and some aren't.

Good luck, have fun

Old 07-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Ok I didn't want to start a new thread, so I am looking at a house on Imlach Dr close to the airport that fits our price range and accepts dogs and I was wondering what the area is like? It is available for rent right before we get there, so I want to make sure that it's worth looking at. Thanks again for all answers so far....

Old 07-10-2010, 01:21 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Imlach Drive, Anchorage, AK - Google Maps

It looks nice to me...

Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM

Yeah I looked at the street view,too and it seems to be a nice area, I just wanted to make sure it doesn't have a lot of crime or sth. Here in Lawton some streets look really nice and the houses are nice, but at night it's full of wannabe gang bangers and druggies....

Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
That's true....I would say this is an ok area.....but I do not have personal experience with it. The Anchorage Police Department has a map pinpointing crimes where they happened, maybe that would help.

Anchorage Crime Map | adn.com

Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
That's true....I would say this is an ok area.....but I do not have personal experience with it. The Anchorage Police Department has a map pinpointing crimes where they happened, maybe that would help.

Anchorage Crime Map | adn.com
Thank you. Still looks pretty good to me on the map, my husband and me like to be as far away from post/base as we can since generally ( where we have lived so far )those are neighborhood full of crime *lol*
Well the land lord called us after showing it and says he rather wants us to live in it, so we'll see if we like as much in person as in the pics and I won't even have to house hunt anymore :-))

Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 PM

Leaving tomorrow to spend some time with family and then off to Washington, on the ferry and to Anchorage!!!!!!!! OMG I can't believe the day is finally here. I get to leave Lawton Oklahoma and see parts of the US other than the Midwest *lol* It's all I have been thinking about for months!!!! Sorry if I am annoying anyone with this post, but I am too excited to not post anything ;-p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage