Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:50 PM

323 posts, read 1,132,224 times

Advertisements

Chelsea is probably worth the money, to be honest. It's very nice, has all the amenities you could want, and it's a quick drive on 94 to anywhere you'd want to go.
It's a nice community - the Health & Wellness center is the nicest "gym" I've ever been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 PM

25 posts, read 63,715 times
Plenty of good houses in Chelsea! I'm from there...it's a solid place to raise kids, I really enjoyed it. It has a hockey rink, good schools, a nice downtown, some nice recreation areas outside of town towards Pickney and the drive to A2 isn't bad at all, all highway. Get ready to eat Jiffy muffins, they're dry as **** but you'll learn to love em'.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,402,807 times
Some seriously interesting posts in here. Last time I was in Chelsea was in 1985 and all I remember was a really small town with Jiffy and not much else. Sounds like it has completely changed now and I'm definitely going to have to visit it.
It is also interesting to hear that Saline is over-built. I graduated SHS in 1985 (the old school) and there was very little in that town besides Ford Plastics.

I love visiting this Michigan thread and learning about how things are changing. It's getting me even more excited about my upcoming visit.

BTW, I lived in Lodi Township (off Scio Church) in a neighborhood called Lone Oak. Not sure if they ever changed its name after that lone oak was downed by a tornado in the early 80's.. Would love to hear anything about it if anyone on here is from there.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,312 times
My family is moving to Ann Arbor this summer. I am also a teacher but after reading the above thread need to explore other career options! We have heard over and over Chelsea, Dexter, Saline. My husband will be working in eastern Ann Arbor-commute for him will be fine. We have two children 10 & 6and my biggest concern is school. We want family friendly and great schools. Are these the areas to focus? I'm not much for busy city life. We would love an area where the houses aren't on top of each other and the kids can run and play.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristineelise View Post
Chelsea is nice and it has that cute Teddy Bear Factory and little shops and gourmet candy and ice cream downtown. The houses are nice and it feels like home. Ann arbor is known for great schools. Check out Saline, it is close to Ann Arbor and has a lot of new homes being constructed and some historical homes. Grass Lake is a tiny spot of quiet country that is in between Chelsea and Ann Arbor. I suggest you look for more info from www.wicklandgroup.com and the blog he has too. You can see all current listings for the entire area including further east in Northville, Canton and Plymouth, also great places for raising kids.

I thought you were done with spamming us about wicklandgroup?

Old 05-30-2010, 01:58 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymccamper View Post
Hi There!
Maybe relocating to Michigan from the South. We use to live closer to Detroit. We may move back but will want a change of scenery. We are really looking at the Ann Arbor area and surrounding areas. We are a young family just under 30 and one little one (3 yrs old), possibly more to come. Our children are most likely going to go to private catholic school so this plays an important role in where we move. But a good public school district is important as sometimes private school may not always be in the financial cards. We may not move for a few years. But I always like to gather as much information as possible. I look forward to your help and advice. Thank you for your time
Ann Arbor is not too far from becoming like Flint. The city is not doing so well, nor is it desirable. I suggest for you to look into Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids which is the most desirable city in the state of Michigan. The city of Ann Arbor neighbors with Detroit and the crime has gradually been moving there.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Ann Arbor is not too far from becoming like Flint. The city is not doing so well, nor is it desirable. I suggest for you to look into Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids which is the most desirable city in the state of Michigan. The city of Ann Arbor neighbors with Detroit and the crime has gradually been moving there.

What are these claims based on? Do you live in Ann Arbor?

I see no difference in crime in ann Abror than in the past. In fact, statistically, it may have fallen a bit, but it is no where near Detroit. Ann Arbor has some of the best schools in the state, and it probably has the best economy of any City in Michigan although Grand Rapids may be doing as well or better, but Ann Arbor is doing very well compared to most other communities the University and the hospitals keep the City chugging along.

From what I ahve seen of it and the statistics that I have found, Kalamazoo is no where near the City that Ann Arbor is. Kalamazoo is not a horrid city but it has a long way to go to become a rival to Ann Arbor. For one example, It is my understanding that the Kalamazoo schools are pretty terrible while the Ann Arbor Schools are mostly exemplary.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:18 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
t

What?

Ann Arbor has the lowest unemployment rate in the state and the lowest crime rate, and its "becoming like Flint"? Google, The FDA, The EPA, Toyota, not to mention many other huge employers all are employers that set up in "undesirable cities"? Do you have any research to present to us that suggests someone changes their mind? Have you ever been to Ann Arbor, do you know anything at all? Is Detroit a "neighbor" even though its roughly 40 miles to the east?

Its cool to state your own opinion, but telling us that we should suddenly believe that the earth is flat or oranges are no longer orange requires you to leave us with significant evidence.

You could have just said "I prefer Grand Rapids over Ann Arbor", not only would it have sounded more intelligible, it wouldn't have exposed your ignorance either.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
t

What?

Ann Arbor has the lowest unemployment rate in the state and the lowest crime rate, and its "becoming like Flint"? Google, The FDA, The EPA, Toyota, not to mention many other huge employers all are employers that set up in "undesirable cities"? Do you have any research to present to us that suggests someone changes their mind? Have you ever been to Ann Arbor, do you know anything at all? Is Detroit a "neighbor" even though its roughly 40 miles to the east?

Its cool to state your own opinion, but telling us that we should suddenly believe that the earth is flat or oranges are no longer orange requires you to leave us with significant evidence.

You could have just said "I prefer Grand Rapids over Ann Arbor", not only would it have sounded more intelligible, it wouldn't have exposed your ignorance either.

The city where I live we have all heard of the problems growing in Ann Arbor. In fact I was once at a resturant and over heard a conversation of a lady who had recently moved out of the city and all the growing horror stories. I know well of all Michigan cities and Ann Arbor is a simple reflection of Detroit, Flint, etc... with its crime.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What are these claims based on? Do you live in Ann Arbor?

I see no difference in crime in ann Abror than in the past. In fact, statistically, it may have fallen a bit, but it is no where near Detroit. Ann Arbor has some of the best schools in the state, and it probably has the best economy of any City in Michigan although Grand Rapids may be doing as well or better, but Ann Arbor is doing very well compared to most other communities the University and the hospitals keep the City chugging along.

From what I ahve seen of it and the statistics that I have found, Kalamazoo is no where near the City that Ann Arbor is. Kalamazoo is not a horrid city but it has a long way to go to become a rival to Ann Arbor. For one example, It is my understanding that the Kalamazoo schools are pretty terrible while the Ann Arbor Schools are mostly exemplary.
I do not live in Ann Arbor and do not know anyone who would want to. Perhaps you can name a good school or so in Ann Arbor though they are few in numbers compared to the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor