Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Coldjensens, you are absolutely right, but you are the biggest stickler for details I have ever seen. I bet when Jules Vern time-travels to study for his novels, he goes to your place to better understand his own century and it's place in history!

Anyway I guess it's past time to add another case of domestic horror to the mix!

Aliens studying the behavior of Earth's strange bipedal ape residents must be convinced that all human beings on this continent live their lives entirely around their cars, much like midevil peasant lives revolved around their fields or a redneck's life revolves around beer.

They would certainly be surprised to find out our entire lives actually revolve around our TVs, but hey... we can't fault them for not knowing that. After all, we put TVs in our cars too, but they can't see 'em from above!

Anyway, this house is one of millions that supports the surprisingly uncontroversial "vehicular ape" theory making the rounds in the universities of Zeta Reticuli... this house is completely about the garage with everything else being secondary. The "snout" positioning of the absolutely huge garage completely overwhelms the theoretically equally-sized residential portion of the structure... but who's to know that? Perhaps it's just a side closet to cache extra tires, jumper-cables and socket wrenches?

So why do we even bother with houses anyway? Why not just build garages on lots and sleep in our cars?

I know why... because that's STUPID!

So why do we accept homes that appear to function exactly like that?!

You know, builders only construct houses like this because it's cheaper for them... not because it's more convenient or inherently better!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
That was truly disturbing and very sad.

I guess the only truly satisfying thing about this architectural travesty is the knowledge that this house has just about lost all it's value; the potential pool of buyers that would find this abomination of a house appealing, now surrounded by a small moat of concrete, devoid of any trees or privacy is just about nil. So hopefully this house represents (now, represented) its owner's greatest asset and having now lost all its value, the owners will never again have the assets to buy and destroy another beautiful historic home.
So well said ... and one can only hope.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Anyway, this house is one of millions that supports the surprisingly uncontroversial "vehicular ape" theory making the rounds in the universities of Zeta Reticuli... this house is completely about the garage with everything else being secondary. The "snout" positioning of the absolutely huge garage completely overwhelms the theoretically equally-sized residential portion of the structure... but who's to know that? Perhaps it's just a side closet to cache extra tires, jumper-cables and socket wrenches?

So why do we even bother with houses anyway? Why not just build garages on lots and sleep in our cars?

I know why... because that's STUPID!

So why do we accept homes that appear to function exactly like that?!

You know, builders only construct houses like this because it's cheaper
for them... not because it's more convenient or inherently better!!!
Yeah.

I think there are people who don't know the difference between good design and bad design. They might respond to one house having more charm than another without being able to pinpoint why.

The sad thing is that there are people who know the difference, but don't have much choice. Choices are dictated by what's available in your location and your pocketbook. You may want a house with a beautiful front porch and a detached garage, but if it's not available at all, or not available in your price range, you have to settle.

This is what happens when builders get into the business to make money, but don't have any taste or passion for what they do. Everybody suffers and the community has to live with stupid design for decades because few people have the cash to buy it, tear it down, and rebuild.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Saw this in the NYC forum. Do people think this qualifies for the ugly house thread?

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/2010_10_bushwickocean.jpg
Looks like a video game board!.

I think the worst are the newer subdivisions though, they rip trees down, make 3,000 of the same color houses, and it looks more like a military hospital or something with no character. In S Florida we had 2 weeds on the driveway, and the HOA commandos sent us threatening letters within a week (It was like 2 dandelions, I am so not kidding . I'd NEVER live in an HOA again after that)

This is a houston subdivison, they put a taco bell sign as joke

They built the garage or whatever that portico is supposed to be facing the lawn.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. I live in Idaho, and see way too much of this. This junk is messing up the landscape everywhere, all over Utah, Montana, Wyoming, and everywhere there is a mountain, a lake, or just a hill to proudly show it off.
Weeping Jesus. This pile looks like the worst trophy cabin ever. With a space ship that crash landed in the middle.

You're absolutely right, Chango... whenever a range or forest fire kicks up, these places go up like a match and burn down to the ground. Montana got so tired of trying to rescue this crap that building permits now require the owners to have a 10,000 gallon cistern close enough to the house to be used for fire suppression, a 2-lane road wide enough for heavy trucks, and a turn-around that allows the trucks to maneuver. If the home does not have them, the county will not go out to fight the fire.
Makes good sense, but it took the destruction of a $3 million trophy cabin and a failed lawsuit for the people who build these messes to realize Montana was serious.

These days, dumps like these are often empty, bank-owned, and sell for a fraction of their building costs. Any nobody's buying. I counted 30 For Sale signs in a 60 mile stretch on a road trip to Canada back in 2007, and that was before the recession bit hard. I'm sure all of them are still for sale, along with a lot of others.

A broker I spoke to last week told me banks are hiding the excessive shadow inventory everywhere.

Buyers beware!.

In the town of under 60k people Im trying to sell a property there are over 1000 houses on the market right now.
And thats not even counting foreclosures, etc.
Contractors just abandon the condos bcs they lose their credit line.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
This is a houston subdivison, they put a taco bell sign as joke
Now I need a new keyboard... I spit out a mouthful of beer all over it when I saw that one!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I have a few to ad when I figure out how to transfer them from my Phone to CD. I took some picutres of custom uglies since the mass produced uglies are well covered alaready.

However what really makes me gag is when they build a subdivision of these monstrosities and hten name the sub for the narual feature they destroyed to build the uglies.

For example they remove 400 oak trees, flatten out a field and build monstrosities 20 feet apart. Then the name the sub "Towering Oaks" or they install concrete pipe to run Smiths creek underground for the length of the sub, cut down all the trees and vegetation along the creek and then fill everything in so it is all falt and build 100 homes called "Smith's creek development"

Where is smith's creek? Why it is right under your feet in a concrete pipe. I can show you where the pipe comes back out of the ground and you cna see the outlet of the creek.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Although i enjoy your commentary, I think you are wrong on this one. Therre is not likely a scrap of plywood in this thing. It is undoubtedly made of floorboard with OSB labels stamped on it. If they only paid their architect $129.35, they certainly are not going to spring for plywood.
"Flakeboard" - not floorboard.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
[/b]

A broker I spoke to last week told me banks are hiding the excessive shadow inventory everywhere.

Buyers beware!.

In the town of under 60k people Im trying to sell a property there are over 1000 houses on the market right now.
And thats not even counting foreclosures, etc.
Contractors just abandon the condos bcs they lose their credit line.
We had over 400 houses for sale in a community of only 10,000. Supposedly, the realtors got together and agreed to convince crtain clients to pull their homes off the market in order to avoid pushing prices down further. Those sellers were not going to sell for a reduced price anyway, so it made sense for them to just wait a while. Meanwhile buyers do not take the attiude that if they cannot get a super bargain on house A, they can just try houses B,C, D, . . . Z

If that is truely what happened, I wonder if the realtors could get in trouble for price fixing.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Excellent thread OP.

First is Staten Island NY, looks more like an institution than a residence.
2nd is some monstrosity in California.

as soon as i saw these, my first thought was Staten island, near midland Ave South beach, i feel like I have seen these,
they are UGLY !!!!

This is just an ugly subdivision. No trees or character.

the staten Island ones i have passed they are really ugly, and very unkept, trailer par to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum