Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM

126 posts, read 244,785 times

Advertisements

I hadn't considered brown trim, although that might work. The current roof is a dark green, but it's at least 10 years old so I may be looking at replacing it before too long. The 2 front windows next to the front door might be more of an issue though, as there are 2 additional windows of the same style that face north in the entryway, 2 more in the living room (open to the entry by a wide archway) and 2 more in the dining room (another archway). So if I replaced the front two I would likely want to do the other 6 as well.

I have a dog so that's why I was thinking of a fence, athough she is walked twice a day anyway so I could probably live without the fence.

I like the idea of the stone walkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
What you might do with the walkway is remove the curve to the driveway, bring it straight from the street in stone and include the fence, such that you would not have an awkward fence/driveway meeting as you would with the curved walkway that currently exists. To the driveway, you could install stepping stones in the lawn from the main walkway. Brick gateposts with lights by either side of the realigned walkway that then merge with the fence would look very nice as well. You could still have a low planting bed in front of the fence as well with a brick border.

With so many open rooms, it might be better just to replace the attic window with a diamond pane window, and leave the others as they are, just enhance them a bit by removing the awnings and painting the trim.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Leave the trim light and paint the front door the pretty green color. I agree with others; take off the awnings and renew your landscaping by trimming back or getting rid of the shrubbery. I like your choice of metal awning for the front door. Your house is very charming. Emphasize the front door area so your house appears welcoming and polished. If the front porch is shabby, have it redone or at least paint it.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
I would increase the size of the porch - get rid of the 2 bushes next to it, and have it extend under the windows close to the driveway. Next I would remove the bushes up front and the awnings. If you find you need cover, then add a small porch covering following your main roofline across the whole triangle, basically cutting it off from the lower half of the house. No more than 2 feet wide though. Like a soffit more than a covered porch.

Next I would study how I walk - and if I discovered I didn't use it very much, I'd get rid of the sidewalk below the two windows close to the driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum