Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Trends Are Going To Fade
Open Concept - Kitchen, Dining & Living Areas 28 41.79%
Free Standing Tub and Shower in the Same Space 12 17.91%
Fake Electric Fireplaces 17 25.37%
Massive Master Suites 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 02:03 PM

858 posts, read 680,223 times

Advertisements

What modern trend, that all the HGTV shows are push are destine to fade and die soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 04:01 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Architecture?

HGTV? Really? That's funny!

Old 07-14-2022, 10:03 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I don’t think that Open Concept floor plans will die anytime soon, if at all. They are too popular and practical with today’s life style. It would take a drastic turn in our modern lifestyle to close off rooms again.

I’m note sure what the bathroom one is. It sounds like the recent wet room trend where a shower and tub are provided behind glass doors. I haven’t seen a lot of this yet so I don’t think it’s a trend that will stop.

Whether we like it or not, people like to have space. That is why the size of homes continued to rise even after a brief small homes movement was started a decade or two back. As we see today, large primary bedrooms will continue and be dependent on the size of the house rather than a trend.

That leaves electric fireplaces. This definitely is a trend that will go out. It’s fake and as history has shown, fake things die. This is one of them. It will be gone in a few years, thankfully. Jay

Old 10-18-2022, 10:06 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Open concept kitchen/living areas are going to become the sunken living rooms (1970's) of the 'aughts.

A better (and timeless) idea is a passthrough. It gives the same feeling of openness without losing the functionality of a wall to hang cabinets on (kitchen side) and bookshelves/pictures/etc (living room side).

Old 10-18-2022, 10:15 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Traditional homes because of their smaller size/foot print, were open plans. Homes are getting smaller.

Nothing says single wide more than a fake fireplace.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:03 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
I'm surprised that the open-plan main floor is leading in this poll.

I do know that defined rooms are making a comeback, but it seems to me that they remain a minority preference among builders and buyers alike these days.

A passthrough can take the form of an opening in a peninsula with cabinets above. The absence of a doorway between the dining room or living/dining room and kitchen is what makes a space open-plan.

People like them for entertaining because folks tend to gather in the kitchen, where the host is often preparing food, at dinner parties, and an open-plan main floor means they don't have to.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:22 AM

506 posts, read 476,256 times
All trends die eventually. To figure out which of those goes first, look at the upper classes. Nowadays it's what I'll call the "Tesla class." Basically every architectural trend and fad for all of American history has started originally with the upper classes and then moved to everyone else. My theory is it will relate to climate change issues, since that's important to the Tesla class. Maybe they'll decide the open concept costs too much to heat and cool, so we'll see the return of rooms. Or maybe large master bedrooms will be frowned upon. Still, even when the upper class kills a trend, it still hangs around a while with everyone else. Look how many working class homes still have finished basements with wood paneling, for example.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:52 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
White and black exteriors, with interior colors limited to two: grey and gray.

20 years from now people will look at all that vertical batten-on-board siding, white painted brick (yeah, THAT'S a great idea, transform a maintenance-free exterior cladding to a maintenance-required exterior) grey countertops and grey floors and retch at how an entire population of homeowners could have lemming-like blindly followed that trend.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
White and black exteriors, with interior colors limited to two: grey and gray.

20 years from now people will look at all that vertical batten-on-board siding, white painted brick (yeah, THAT'S a great idea, transform a maintenance-free exterior cladding to a maintenance-required exterior) grey countertops and grey floors and retch at how an entire population of homeowners could have lemming-like blindly followed that trend.

Welcome to the new social drug- HGTV!

*and it does require a “subscription”; not a “prescription”!

Old 10-22-2022, 11:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
What modern trend, that all the HGTV shows are push are destine to fade and die soon?

Free standing tub in the shower. People will realize it's way more to keep clean, and/or they don't have a big enough hot water heater to fill it. Also two tone kitchen cabinets, white and/ or black cabinets and white walls. I think no upper cabinets will go out when people realize they need the storage lol I personally dislike no upper cabinets look

I also think they'll get tired of those new wood floors that you supposedly can't scratch or ruin.

Every house on HGTV looks the same, same "wood" floors, those barn style doors and those kitchens.

I think high ceilings will die out because heating and cooling is going to waste

Add to it those fire places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Welcome to the new social drug- HGTV!

*and it does require a “subscription”; not a “prescription”!

Never watched HGTV until we were selling in the spring. Some of the interiors they do are ugly as heck. I especially hate them painting brick. Like rabbit said above, you went from maintenance free to now having to repaint. How stupid!

There's a few decent shows to get ideas, better than watching TLC lately. It helps me fall asleep most nights lol

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-23-2022 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum